Another question that’s asked enough to have amassed many answers on here through the years.
Please feel free to add your favourite books and book threads as and when, a few words on what’s great or even not so great about them would be awesome.
UPDATE: Threads discussing various book exist - these now have an Index here: Book Clubs - List of Book Discussions and Journals
Hey as some members suggested i completed reading
The Ritual of Greater Magickal Power
Magickal Seduction
can you guys suggest me more books
(I am more into seductive magic soo those type of books are highly appreciated)
you can also suggest other books which will help me more during rituals and meditation
What are some good book recommendations that helped you with your craft? I’m looking for book recommendations on the following topics
Mastery of the mind
Spirits: (of all form, I want to learn how to distinguish them from each other, what kinds are out there, ect
Energy work: (balancing energy, pulling energy from specific sources
Evocation and invocation guides
And what ever else you can recommend. Thanks
Well the topic Norse paganism is quite trending everywhere, specially on social medias like Facebook.
I’m TOTALLY new to this system. I was more on my Left Hand Path studies.
But I’m really interested learning Heathenism. But I don’t know where to start. I don’t just want to learn about it but I also wanna put it into practice (Norse Magick, Rune Casting, Norse spells etc).
So, I’m looking for some book recommendations. If anyone can give me a book list, I’d be really thankful
I dont think anyone should have to buy every single occult book that comes out. And honestly most of them probably arent worth it. But Im curious what would be like 5 books or so that every magician should own or at least read once.
I’ll admit. I really do just let magick come to me like nice flowing stream. I just let my lessons come on their own and I have my demonic grimoire overflowing with papers Ive written and my book of shadows. I also have a notebook just for Herbs and two different journals.
But there are a couple of books Id like to have and figured with the holidays coming a few books might be my treat to myself.
So with that, Id like to know whats the top 5 give or take books every magician should have?
You would recommend books that teach contact with demons and angels and work with them,
Books are my preference for more connotation and contact.
Books i read:
Demons of magick gordon Winterfield
The 72 angels of magick etc damon brand
Please give me a book proposal on the subject because I translate them into Turkish and read them.
Have you been practicing as you read it? There’s nothing that says you have to blow your way through it as fast as you can. And if you need a break, then find a similar topic at your level and go for it. S. Connelly has some books that are beginner friendly and she has a different perspective. I bounce between the her and EA for specific things.
Youtube is another source of info. It doesn’t have to be related specifically to demonolatry to be useful, as not everyone follows that specific path. I’ve found a lot of channels useful and can say I don’t agree 100% with any of them. Take what’s useful to you now and perhaps something else will catch your eye later.
BALG/EA’s Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3PbU2BsHFjySvk3sdBltpA
Behemoth-X https://www.youtube.com/user/joenunn666 (I really like this Black Flame meditation and often use it as background when at work).
S Connelly - https://www.youtube.com/user/OFSAdrianna
VK Jehannum - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9CwXPFHbQ4Zl5n51OTL70g
That should keep you occupied for a while. There are a lot of other channels, but these have large amounts of info. Some are more beginner friendly than others, but it’s good to have a spectrum.
I have a small list of books that he recommends. Here they are.
Magick in theory and practice by Crowley
Magick elemental theory by Crowley
8 lectures on yoga
Summoning spitirts by Constantino
A garden of pomegranates
A grimoire of shadows by ed fitch
Yoga of power
Actually Lucifer book recommendations:
Anybody know any books in which someone spoke to Lucifer or demons and wrote about how they contacted them. I’ve been at this for a while and had some success with spells but I want to really have a conversation with Lucifer… I wanna learn if there’s anybody that wrote a book with a lot of success.
I want to learn Tarot more fully so I’m looking for a more complete book on it. Preferably, one that includes the Kabbalistic, Astrological and Elemental association of each card. As much depth as possible would be great.
Any suggestions?
About 7 years ago I read a book that blew my mind. I had an experience during a particular meditation where I did not exist for 26 minutes.
I was on a road trip with friends to go to my best friend’s wedding and as I read I had a shift where my mind merged with the void and I was reborn in a way. We stopped at a gas station and even though I had words for what thing were there was the sense of seeing literally everything I had encountered for the very first time. Everything was surreal and it felt similar to the idea of waking up in an alien world where everything is new.
There is a chapter that dissolves time in that “when” is actually a “where” and everything is really happening at the same time. If you want to be tripped out at the deepest level, read it.
I’m finding that it holds up in my study of Magick. Holding onto a desire outside your locus of control maintains the state of always seeking said desire because your consciousness is holding onto that aspect of reality.
(Lust for result)
Maintaining grip on desire that is within your locus of control brings it to you. (Invocation of that aspect of self/obsession)
The author Steven Wolinsky quotes quantum physicists and states how the fundamental operations of the mind work mathematically. I’m big into simulation theory and chaos Magick so this has tremendous implications. I’ll be reading this again shortly. If you want some very interesting meditation exercises this read is at the top of my list. Try it on if it ca…
I am starting to get interested on the topic of the watchers but I struggle to find good sources. Are there any good books about them besides the book of Enoch? Also if you have an internet link woth info about them feel free to share it!
Summoning Spirits by Konstantinos
Initiation Into Hermetics by Franz Bardon
Works of Darkness by EA Koetting
The Mastering Evocation course by EA Koetting.
For now I mainly want work on chakras and blockages so I can see just as well as I feel. Can’t work properly with something you can only sense, ya know?
Later I would like to get started on proper rituals so I can work on somethings that I’ve been wanting to do but one step at a time. Have to learn to walk before you can run.
So far some of you have recommended:
Tree of the Qlipoth
Introduction to Magic by the Ur Group
Is there anything else? Even though I have my own list of books, I want to redo it because it pales in comparision to what you guys are recommending.
The Practice of Magical Evocation:
The practice of magical evocation is by far the most profound book on evocation I have ever read. It explains SO MUCH that is asked on this forum.
-The true meaning of each individual magickal tool used in evocation
-Why entities must obey you
-The different levels and planes and the ranks
-What happens after you die in detail and how to live their after we depart from the physical earth
-The true differences between the astral and physical
-How to create the perfect environment in order to have a full evocation each and every time
and soooo much more people.
HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended
Demonolatry Goetia by S. Connolly
Goetic Words of Power by Tristan Whitespire
Goetia Pathworking by Conwin Hargrove
Demons of Magick by Gordon Winterfield
The Magick of Angels and Demons by Henry Archer
These are the books I have in my library that involve the Goetia. The last book I listed is a little different in that both the demon and its corresponding angels are summoned for each ritual. But all of these books list the powers, and you’ll find something new in each book. I know I did.
Most of Asenath Mason’s other books (Grimore of Tiamat, Tree of Qliphoth, etc.)
Michael Kelly’s books (I recommend starting with Apophis) and any Apophis Club books you can find.
Daemon Barzai’s books (reputably a little clunky in English but still very good material wise. I have both of his published Qliphoth books)
The authors in each book’s selected biography (Jan Fries, Thomas Karlsson, and Kenneth Grant are the ones many people like to refer to). I’m reading Thomas Karlsson’s book on the Qliphoth and it’s a good supplemental reading, the only con is that they tend to be more pricey (for a good reason).
There are also a few RHP books on dragon magic (I hesitate to say “draconian” because many of the books are Wiccanisque and tend to fit everything in a strict hierarchy, which doesn’t fit the principle definition of “draconian” - harsh or severe). They have some deities and techniques that may or may not be beneficial to your path, I’d only recommend the books if you absolutely feel like they can help you (the information from the books are available online, mostly on the website Dragon Dreaming, so consult those sources first). I’m not really recommending them but I feel like it’s important to mention that they do exist.
Since you’re looking for EA Koetting books to peruse,I will add my two cents by advertising the book that left the biggest impression on me.This is a book you seldom hear about,and it is very…autobiographical,in the sense that there is a certain excess of entries and bits and pieces of EA’s personal life.
However,all of these stories tie into occult knowledge,and lessons to be learned.And there are some very useful guides within.The book I am talking about is Ipsissimus.
It speaks of EA’s tutelage under Baba Maharaj,the ascendant master Sunham,it speaks of Astral Projection,and Soul Travel at great lengths.And it completely remolded my own approach to OBEs.
OBEs had fascinated me,as I had had many many very vivid ‘‘walking out of my body’’ experiences as a kid,but as I grew,that began to lessen,until astral projection was as hard as it is to the ordinary dabbler.
Ipsissimus also speaks of ascent as a whole,the antitransmigratory experiene(I did not spell that right),life after death(to a degree),how to work miracles,and on the whole how to strive to embody Ipsissimus.
In this case,Ipsissimus is obviously a reference to the highest degree of Aleister Crowley’s Order of the Silver Star,the OAA(Ordo Astrum Argentum) wherein the position of Ipsissimus is the master.The ideal of the living god that we talk about here.
This book is an incredible one and has a lot of depth to it.It is rather vague,and not as straight forward as his others.And it doesn’t seem like the most usef…
https://forum.becomealivinggod.com/t/dark-black-magick-authors-and-books-recommendation/21542
-The Miracle of New Avatar Power By Geoff Gray Cobb
(Out of print yes…but can still be found online)
-Astral_Dynamics by Robert Bruce
-Modern Magick by Donald Michael Kraig
I’m in the process of ordering books on two subjects that interest me. While I would love to go into more detail on my path working right now, I’ve been instructed not to.
Besides the book by Kurtis Joseph, what other books are recommend about Ahriman?
i tried to find some threads on this but did’t found much, can any of you guys suugest some books of like roots of how occult started, how it was diiferent in different places, diiferent paths of esoteric practices and of course a lot of history. so that i can actually set a real good base of knowledge In my free time.
p.s. maybe a bit occult philosophy too.
38 Likes
dagar
April 4, 2021, 5:47pm
2
Maulbeere seriously i am absolutely blown away by your recent wikis. Seriously when magick is taught in schools these will be the equivalent of full courses
8 Likes
Books on Norse paganism, mythology and Odin
Hi Everyone,
I am a dedicated LHP Practitioner and have been for many years now. I have had much success with Infernal Magick and the current state of my life reflects that as most things in my life are in order and going extremely well. Around December of 2020 I had the opportunity to enter a raffle to win a free magickal painting (Portal) of Odin that was channeled by a skilled magician. Lone and behold I won that raffle and took that as a sign of Odin directly calling on me to work with him.…
1 Like
I just got done reading Helios Unbound
While I don’t agree with everything that is said in it, I did feel the author did a nice job in trying to put a pagan face on Golden Dawn rituals, with some historical records to back some of it up. I can’t speak to the effectiveness of the methods yet, but some of those Deities I work with have suggested I go through the 7 month process.
I will say that although there are a significant number of references of both historical and Occult books, I, personally, don’t know how much of the work is the author’s gnosis or historical “record”. He does sometimes state when it is his, but only someone with knowledge of the other works would know which is which in a lot of cases.
I DO suggest reading it. For $20, you get ~400 pages of material. I plan on starting (my version of) it soon, with few modifications. It seems to usable for anyone that has experience with ritual work, but not necessarily any in Ceremonial Magick.
6 Likes
Books for working with the four 4 elemental kings
I have heard of a book that people to use to work with them but I don’t know what’s it called. I suspect there’s probably more then one out there. Can anyone help me out?
3 Likes
Books for getting started working with angels
I want to start angel magic. Can you recommend books with elaborate angel lists and effective methods .
3 Likes
Mike Bee’s reading list for “promoting solid magickal practice” (western occultism)
Chapter 6
Some good reading material you should consider.
Here’s a brief list of books most of them I read in my early 20s. This list is by no means complete there are plenty of good books I probably forgot to add to the list or never read.
I’m providing this to you because I think the knowledge contained there helps promote a solid magickal practice.
Initiation into hermetics (by far one of the best)
Sacred magick of the angels
3 books of occult philosophy
The heptameron
Creative visua…
5 Likes
All about channeling in Spirit Relations by Bill Duvendack
With channelling, what you generally get are the words of the spirit filtered, coloured, and interpreted by the mind of the channel.
One of the most difficult things for a channel to do is to get their own minds completely out of the way, and resist the urge to interpret what the spirit is saying, rather than simply relaying it.
Before you purchase a channelling from someone, I recommend picking up a copy of Spirit Relations by Bill Duvendack. The book gives a great breakdown of what exactly …
“Amazing reads” from people’s libraries
This might possibly be a thread already, but i havent seen it. I feel slightly immobilized because many of the amazing books are on the pricey end, and I’m currently trying to minimize my credit card spending. Would love to know what books everyone suggests. I have a bunch in my top reading list. Some include: Nightside of Eden, S. Connolly’s other works, Liber Null and Psychonaut by leter carroll, Liber Kaos, The book of forbidden knowledge, The Master Book of Herbalism by Paul Beyerl, all by J…
THE BOOK OF CEREMONIAL MAGICK – 2022 by Arthur Edward Waite
Foundational book as the first of it’s kind to bring together, compare and survey the different parts of western occult practices at the time.
There are two books out there called “The Book of Ceremonial Magick” that each have two of the four parts. This one has all four.
I have this one … Which doesn’t include the info about the grimoires in this one , for example.
I just discovered this by way of an occult literature video by styxhexenhammer on Bitchute.
1 Like
Thread on books for herbs / herbalists / herbalism and oils.
Hello dear and beloved BALG Community.
Itsa me your well-not-maybe known Serpent boy man think.
I am really curious as of recently into herbal magic and oils and of such and i want to use them into my magic in general.
And before i delve head to foot deep into it.
I wanted your suggestions where it would be good to start or books that are really just expert/masterfull in this type of think and practices.
With friendly regards
Your
Serpentine think~
2 Likes
Books on Necromancy and working with the dead
I know of quite a few necromantic books, but advanced ones on the other hand. I’ll leave that to you to decide.
“The Witches Book of the Dead” - Christian Day
The Sabbatica series by Edgar Kerval
“Underworld” - Sepulcher Society
“Walking the Twilight Path” - Michelle Bellanger
“Honoring Death” - S. Connolly
“Necromantic Sacraments” - S. Connolly
“Keys of Ocat” - S. Connolly
“The Necromantic Ritual Book” - Leilah Wendell
“Blood Sorcery Bible” - Sorceress Cagliastro
“Summoning Spirits” -…
2 Likes
[The Sorcerer’s Secrets: Strategies in Practical Magick]
[Summoning spirits]
[Evoking eternity]
[Words of power]
[The Complete Book of Demonolatry]
[Planetary Magick: Invoking and Directing the Powers of the Planets (The Magical Philosophy, 4)]
[MAGICK IN THEORY AND PRACTICE]
[Practical qabalah magic]
(For a starter read here is some: I wrote the names of these books in the order you should read them - starting at the top). One more note: Some of these books are from different tradition and I gave you those so you can learn from them and then decided what works best for you
4 Likes
Books for learning the runes:
Hey BALG,
So I want to give a basic rundown of what I have found so far by working with the runes, for all those who are interested.
First my background with the runes:
Some of my first Spellcrafting was runic magic, well that and candle spells. I found a video on YouTube by a man named Kadrich Olsen who detailed a rune mantra that would help one overcome adversity and promote a flow of good energy.
I have only begun to look really deep into the runes in January of this year.
What I have le…
1 Like
Qigong aka Chi Kung books
A favorite is The Root of Chinese Qigong by Jwing Ming Yang .
If you could only get one book this one has everything and is also a good reference work. It also has the Chinese characters in it for the terms for further research.
Combine with this: A Comprehensive Guide to Daoist Nei Gong by Damo Mitchell, which is more relevant to using qigong for inner development - Nei Gong - and explains things Jwing Ming Yang doesn’t.
After that anything by Mantak Chia, who takes the opposite approach and has dozens of short books breaking the subject up into given tools and small areas, which is cool when you have the foundation and/or are looking for a specific technique.
Particularly these fundamentals which are also the Taoist approach to having good Spiritual Hygiene, there is no “shadow work” called out separately, it’s all you:
Awaken Healing Energy Through The Tao
Fusion of the Five Elements: Meditations for Transforming Negative Emotions
The Inner Smile: Increasing Chi through the Cultivation of Joy
The Six Healing Sounds: Taoist Techniques for Balancing Chi
Important for occultists, after getting cleansed and balanced, we want to increase our energy for magickal work beyond just being healthy, open our clairsenses more and become more sensitive, more empowered and more wise, start here:
The Taoist Soul Body: Harnessing the Power of Kan and Li
The Practice of Greater Kan and Li: Techniques for Creating the Immortal Self
Sealing of the Five Senses: Advanced Practices for Becoming a Taoist Immortal
Update to add:
The Water Method of Taoist Meditation Series 2 book set:
Relaxing into your Being
The Great Stillness
Dec 2024 Update:
Jwing Ming Yang now has a book on how to run the microcosmic orbit aka small circulation. I will get this for completeness and to see if there’s anything extra or different from the way my teachers taught it to me. It’s a very simple exercise and almost all the insights from it come from when you’re doing it, but you never know.
Okay first off. Internal alchemy is were everyone should start before magic ritual. Because it teaches you to cultivate your power so you don’t need gods spirits or demons. Mantak chia has the most detailed information on each particular excersise. Get his books..
Second off, it has aspects similar to what Franz bardon was trying to explain. But in more detailed and less mystic and more modern logic. I might have to say first get the inner smile book cause from what I understand and read from it. It’s the book that teaches you how to actually feel energy and not just visualization.
But I have learned these books are what you need to buy first and start in order.
Inner Smile(to teach you how to actually feel the energy and not just visualize)
Six healing sounds(to help you control your emotions)
Microcosmic orbit(it is unmatched for circulating, refining, and balancing power)
Tan tien(this book is what you are gonna need for power, before any other book, it will also mention other recommended books you could want and need depending which direction of training your after)
There are soo much more for his books that teach different things. The more advanced books will actually seem more mystic and familiar to you. You just need to buy and read them and figure out how to make your own version.
Update Sept 2026:
I’d like to also add that though I have not actually been doing spell or rituals in a long time, my training has showed other results since at noticeable random times my intentions actually make things I wanted to happen, happen. On the very day as well. However it’s rather random that I notice unless it’s very specific.
I’ve come to discard the idea that it’s merely coincidence a while ago.
Hell sometimes I even think I do the weather sometimes!
23 Likes
Alternative lists of entities to work with other than the Goetia
For list of more non pagan entities, those discovered by western occultists, those show up in grimoires medieval to modern. Some of those grimoires will have overlaps, but some don’t.
A couple of popular ones I know about because I worked with them are (no special order):
Angels of Omnipotence by Jareth Yempest
The Grimorium Verum (I LOVE Clauneck, awesome entity for wealth)
The Kingdom of Flames by E.A. Koetting
Lucifer Awakening by Azenath Mason (the many Luciferic/promethean figures, including Prometheus, Azazel, Lugh, very fusion and cross tradition)
The Pandemonium: A Discordant Concordance of Diverse Spirit Catalogues by Jake Stratton Kent is a wonderul reference.
There’s also an online catalog here which lists most named demons and which grimoire they’re from, and vice versa lists grimoires and timelines and dependencies (losts of grimoires included rewrites of old ones: nobody cared about authors names and copyright in the middle ages). List of Grimoires