The list

I dont think anyone should have to buy every single occult book that comes out. And honestly most of them probably arent worth it. But Im curious what would be like 5 books or so that every magician should own or at least read once.
I’ll admit. I really do just let magick come to me like nice flowing stream. I just let my lessons come on their own and I have my demonic grimoire overflowing with papers Ive written and my book of shadows. I also have a notebook just for Herbs and two different journals.
But there are a couple of books Id like to have and figured with the holidays coming a few books might be my treat to myself.
So with that, Id like to know whats the top 5 give or take books every magician should have?

7 Likes

Hemetic Magic by Stephen Flowers because it covers SO much about the topic in the title, gives you working methods, and triggers off ideas as well. The book that’s taught me the most, and keeps on doing so - it’s a bit dry and academic in style but personally I like that, I bring enough crazy to the party myself. :slight_smile:

His book Lords Of The Left-Hand Path is excellent on the mindset behind LHP stuff as well, no techniques in it. just ideas. Helped me sort myself out!

And Evoking Eternity by E.A. Koetting for the stuff talked about on this site, it’s a great foundation.

Those are the ones I’d probably recommend to everyone, there are loads of other great books, but they cover history, theory, and application in a good solid way.

7 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

1 Like

1: the emerald tablets of Thoth the Atlantian, by dr Doral

2: kingdoms of flame, by EA koetting

3: all 5 books of the lesser key of Solomon

4: the only Astrology book you will ever need, by Joanna Martine Woolfolk

5:the black pullet

just a few of my favorites, check em out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

[quote=“WiseManEcho, post:4, topic:8771”]1: the emerald tablets of Thoth the Atlantian, by dr Doral

2: kingdoms of flame, by EA koetting

3: all 5 books of the lesser key of Solomon

4: the only Astrology book you will ever need, by Joanna Martine Woolfolk

5:the black pullet

just a few of my favorites, check em out ^__^[/quote]
I had actually been thinking about getting the black pullet for a couple of weeks now. So thats interesting that you recommend it :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are my favs

1. Fosforos -Johannes Nefastos

2. Sacerdotium Vmbrae Mortis -G.D. Laval

3. Sefer Yeroch Ruachot -G.D. Laval

4)Qabalah Qliphoth And Goetic Magick -Thomas Karlsson

5)The Satanic Bible - Anton Lavey

2 Likes

[quote=“Dorian.Grey, post:6, topic:8771”]These are my favs

1. Fosforos -Johannes Nefastos

2. Sacerdotium Vmbrae Mortis -G.D. Laval

3. Sefer Yeroch Ruachot -G.D. Laval

4)Qabalah Qliphoth And Goetic Magick -Thomas Karlsson

5)The Satanic Bible - Anton Lavey[/quote]
Im getting such cool lists!!
I think its so awesome to see how we are like and different. Everyone brings something different to the table. And then we feast!!
I just may need to formulate a monthly book budget or something !! Lol

1 Like

The Magical and Ritual Use of Herbs by Richard Allen Miller. I see you’re into herbs, and this is a book any black magician worth their salt would find useful. Short and to the point.

2 Likes

Yes!! I do love Herbs. It fascinates me , all the uses they have from mundane to magickal!! Thank you!

1 Like
  1. Evoking Eternity - EA Koetting

2. Sorcery by J. Finley Hurley

3. Bible of the Adversary, Liber HVHI, Dragon of 2 flames - Michael W. Ford

4. Satanic Bible

5. Secrets of the magical grimores - Lisewski (sp)

6. Lords of the left hand path - Stephen Flowers

7. Conjure Codex

8. The Munich Manual (Academic essay on an medieval grimoire once owned by a European sorcerer and the methods used by him and his evolution as evidenced in the text.) When I mentioned Belial and Paimon being on record as black magical powers since about 1200 CE, this was my source.

Other media would include Rune Soup, anything involving Jason Miller, Rufus Opus, or Brother Moloch. Even John R. King (Imperial Arts), and also Jake Stratton Kent. Maybe Pete Caroll and Poke Runyon, some folks really like them. A lot of different views are offered in these lists great stuff.

7 Likes

[quote=“Cogitation, post:10, topic:8771”]1. Evoking Eternity - EA Koetting

1. Sorcery by J. Finley Hurley

2. Bible of the Adversary, Liber HVHI, Dragon of 2 flames - Michael W. Ford

3. Satanic Bible

4. Secrets of the magical grimores - Lisewski (sp)

5. Lords of the left hand path - Stephen Flowers

6. Conjure Codex

Other media would include Rune Soup, anything involving Jason Miller, Rufus Opus, or Brother Moloch. Even John R. King (Imperial Arts), and also Jake Stratton Kent. Maybe Pete Caroll and Poke Runyon, some folks really like them. A lot of different views are offered in these lists great stuff.[/quote]
I know Im so happy! Im just stuck on how to choose which ones first lol.

2 Likes

I know that feeling! :slight_smile:

Maybe you could do the “Eisenhower Matrix” thing on your goals:

Full explanation: [url=http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/10/23/eisenhower-decision-matrix/]http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/10/23/eisenhower-decision-matrix/[/url]

An archetypal “Important, Not Urgent” item from the 2nd quadrant in that system is exercise, important but easy to put off, etc.

You could plot the things you want to achieve on that, if you know roughly which books will match the project, and then it gives you an advisory kind of guideline for the order to buy them in?

1 Like

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:12, topic:8771”]I know that feeling! :slight_smile:

Maybe you could do the “Eisenhower Matrix” thing on your goals:

Full explanation: [url=http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/10/23/eisenhower-decision-matrix/]http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/10/23/eisenhower-decision-matrix/[/url]

An archetypal “Important, Not Urgent” item from the 2nd quadrant in that system is exercise, important but easy to put off, etc.

You could plot the things you want to achieve on that, if you know roughly which books will match the project, and then it gives you an advisory kind of guideline for the order to buy them in?[/quote]
Wow! This looks perfect!! Thank you!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The book I mentioned belongs in the upper left quadrant, along with The Principia Discordia by Malaclypse the Younger. You won’t be disappointed. Then again, any of the other quadrants are also perfectly suitable.

1 Like

Sweet! Thanks!

1 Like

Actually if it’s not too late, I have a 4th - How To Make & Use Talismans by Israel Regardie. I’m not sure what its copyright status is, it may or may not be legal to find online free.

The reason I say this is that the talismanic system he teaches can be adapted to literally any kind of method, he uses a lot of Hebrew & what I’m told are Golden Dawn ideas but he also gives the method to use English and to use something other than Hebrew-influenced godnames, I’ve made loads of these using all kinds of spiritual systems and names.

They’re really fun to do (if you like playing with coloured card, gel pens, paint and things anyway!) and that to me counts for a lot, I look forwward to setting aside a quite space of time to make something as appealing and creative as possible.

They also link to the planets, and if you use the Stoicheia system from Flowers’ Hermetic Magic (cheatsheet below) you can incorporate that, as well:

You can carry the talismans with you or leave them by your bed, altar, whatever - totally adaptable, and very very powerful as well - my UPG is that it’s creating a first base of physical manifestation in the world for the powers called upon by the talisman to manifest through.

3 Likes

Honestly, if you’re looking for a great foundation that WILL bring you real results then I would suggest the Vampire bible series by The Temple of the Vampire.

1 Like

Art and science of personal magnetism -theron Q. dumont
Crossed keys
New avatar power (just to get a sense of simplicity)
All of charles cosimano’s books (simple and creative)

1 Like

@ Lady Eva no it isnt too late :slight_smile:
I was gonna use your handy organizer to organize my priorities tomorrow. I was gonna try to start with three and then another three…til i work through the list. I think three at the time would keep me within my budget.
Also i cant remember who suggested it …but i have actually considered the vampiric bible too so thats cool.
Im so excited to get my list organized and choose what my first ones will be …thanks everyone for the great suggestions!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, well I found the Black Pullet on pdf? Is that right? Anyway its now downloaded on my phone so yay!! That was one I had been wanting so thats awesome! Ive actually already started reading it so cool.
So know i can look up some of these others and see what want/need. :slight_smile:

1 Like