In need of book Recommendations for learning heathenism

Well the topic Norse paganism is quite trending everywhere, specially on social medias like Facebook.

I’m TOTALLY new to this system. I was more on my Left Hand Path studies.

But I’m really interested learning Heathenism. But I don’t know where to start. I don’t just want to learn about it but I also wanna put it into practice (Norse Magick, Rune Casting, Norse spells etc).

So, I’m looking for some book recommendations. If anyone can give me a book list, I’d be really thankful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well you can get a free ebook of my own publication by signing up to my newsletter.

[url=http://www.becomealivinggod.com/asbjorntorvol/heathen]http://www.becomealivinggod.com/asbjorntorvol/heathen[/url]

Additionally, my book comes out in December (got to love plugging my own work lol).

There are tons of articles on my facebook and website. www.asbjorntorvol.com

However, apart from my own work, i do have a few recommendations.

Wightridden - Raven Kaldera
Jotunbok - Raven Kaldera
Icelandic Magick - Stephen Flowers (not my favorite and it has some shitty info but use what works)
Galdrabok - (if you can find a good translation)
Havamal - (must read do not forget this one :wink: )
Book of Blots
Eddas

These are all pretty much my top books for starting off. As to norse magick there are few apart from Stephen Flowers and his work can be meh, its up to personal taste. I don’t mind him but some of it is a little meh.

3 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

The Nine Doors Of Midgard by Flowers has a lot of useful stuff, you can usually find it on Amazon, I’ve had good results with the methods in it. :slight_smile:

PS This is a pretty interesting site if you want to verify whether something’s traditional or more modern: [url=http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/]Viking Answer Lady Webpage - 404 Page Not Found

The “Myth & Religion” section is especially useful for inspiration.

2 Likes

If your a left hand path practitioner and don’t mind the author’s stupid psycho babble, “The Left Hand of Odin” is pretty good and gives a lot of information on the All-Father. And check out Asbjorn’s work too. It’s great and best of all, it’s free!

2 Likes

I’m guessing the soundtrack to Suicide Squad, “Heathens” by 21 Pilots has something to do with that, people sing repetitive songs not realizing they are mesmerizing themselves.

I cant watch or listen to much without seeing a negative agenda!

1 Like

Wtf is left hand of Odin, there are no such thing… You can be a Odinist, but if you align with Odin one need to follow the Odininistic principles and they usually collide with the left hand path. All the runes that Odin collected are also principles one need to follow if one want to raise the runes within oneself. I guess the left hand of Odin is the “stupid psycho babble” and if one make up shit like that I wouldn’t waste my time reading anything from him.

1 Like

[quote=“John_Wizard, post:1, topic:9514”]Well the topic Norse paganism is quite trending everywhere, specially on social medias like Facebook.

I’m TOTALLY new to this system. I was more on my Left Hand Path studies.

But I’m really interested learning Heathenism. But I don’t know where to start. I don’t just want to learn about it but I also wanna put it into practice (Norse Magick, Rune Casting, Norse spells etc).

So, I’m looking for some book recommendations. If anyone can give me a book list, I’d be really thankful :)[/quote]

As Asbjorn mentioned, the Eddas and Havamal are the “holy books” from the Viking age. If you can read Estic language or Swedish I would recommend Runmagi och shamanism by Jörgen I Ericsson.

The best books on real Asatru, Vanatru and Sedtru is in Norwegian or my language, Swedish

1 Like

Wish I could read that book. But I know no other language :disappointed_relieved:

There is a book called Sheathenry that is a collection of women’s heathen practices if you want to make sure you get a full scope. I haven’t gotten a copy but it has been highly recommended to me so I am considering it.

2 Likes

Does it have to be in english? If you are familiar with any of the nordic languages, I will recommend books on their original language. I am not very familiar with english books unfortunately, but stuff in escpecially danish, but also sweedish or norwegian and maybe even farose or icelandic I might be able to help with. :slight_smile:

For reading the Eddur, which authors and books would you recommend, @asbjorntorvol ? I am afraid of getting one and discovering that the translation is out of whack, as I don’t speak or read old Norse yet.

1 Like