What's your experience with having witch friends in real life?

Hi. If any of you have any witch friends in real life, what’s your experience like? Do you cast spells together/for each other?

I’m interested in finding local witch friends, because I like the fact that if you’re having a problem with something in your life, like bullies in the workplace, these friends can actually jump in and “be there” with you, by casting protection spells/binding spells, unlike the normal friends that can only help by giving advice from afar.

5 Likes
  1. Generally those that I meet are mostly beginner level or Wiccan and tend to be solitaire.
  2. The most interesting ones that I meet work as dancers.
  3. I’ve become acquainted with a Pagan group that meets in the city. Problem is they’re mostly older folk and young parents with young kids.
  4. Before the move, I attended a Gothic night club that also held a monthly Pagan gathering that was more adult.
  5. Typically, the people I meet in the open world either don’t like to talk about their craft or don’t actually practice. Many of the latter like to use pentacles and other iconography as a fashion statement.
  6. It’s more of a religion than an actual practice where I live. To each their own, sure, but I feel like it’s cultural appropriation when you don’t actually perform rituals. And to be honest, I find it to be insulting.
7 Likes

Friends with Hellenistic pagans and Roman pagans. The most that I am able to do with them is discuss astrology, moon phases, or read each other’s tarot. They find my practice to be “terrifying” and are fearful of it, so I’m never given much opportunity to share.

As far as spells go, I’m often the one casting spells for them. :thinking: They are afraid to practice low magick and know nothing of the basics (yes, even protection). I believe the most they do practice is glamour magick and I can’t say the same for myself.

4 Likes

If I was in your friend group, I’d be really fascinated rather than terrified if you discussed about your practice🤩. I’d be like, I want to hear more, lol! I’d also volunteer to help you with your magick/rituals if needed.

3 Likes

About #2: I find that pretty interesting! Do you know any type of magic that any of the dancers practice? Li

Also #5 - I appreciate you telling me that people may not be open to discussing their craft. It makes me realize the challenge I may face if I try to find friends who I’m willing to cast spells for/with

1 Like

First off, I do feel as if there is something otherworldly about strip clubs. It’s as if the sexual energies blur the boundaries a bit with the subtle realms. I really feel closer to entities like Lilith when I’m in one.

Second, in spite of what I’ve said above, dancers are still people from this world. Some are doing it to pay for college. Some are single parents, perhaps struggling. What I’m getting at is that most are not any more special than anyone else. So, numbers 1, 5, and 6 still apply. Dancers are not part of some secret society with esoteric knowledge, though that would be a cool story idea.

Third, even so you are going to meet some who are actual practitioners and are legitimately passionate about they’re craft. Many will still focus on Wicca or Satanism, but some will be involved with other stuff.

Each time I go in, I like to believe that any goddess I’m looking to work with will be watching me. So, I hope that being respectful, getting to know the dancers, and being friendly would get me on their good side. And there are plenty of girls who respond to that type of behavior pretty well. One said recently that she feels very protective of me.

And yes, regarding number 5, it is challenging. But there are plenty of larpers out there, so I get that some people are protective of their work.

1 Like

It is the curse of being around people who fear the idea of demons/evil. LOL It’s not all bad, just different.

You’re sweet. I think it would be fun, if possible. (:

4 Likes

Ohh I thought you was referring to a different kind of dancers. Those people that are paid to dance at clubs. Well strip clubs are totally different :sweat_smile: never been in one though, as I highly prefer bbw’s :drooling_face: Those will probably not on the payroll :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Well, I feel silly.

1 Like

The point that I’m trying to make is that, if you want to find other people who practice the craft IRL, you may not find too much success in polite society. Those who practice may not be very vocal. Those who are may just be appropriating the image. I’ve found that you gotta look among the fringes of society, or within certain subcultures, just to find other practitioners. In other words, go to places that you can’t really discuss in polite company.

For example, once a month, I go to a lounge that hosts the occasional open mic night or dance party. I’ve found some people who practice Voudoun, Hoodoo, and similar traditions. What makes the place stand out is that it is Afro-Culture centric. The owner has said that their mission is to express and share their culture. But I’m the only white person that consistently shows up.

Occultists, witches, and anyone else who doesn’t follow the normative belief systems of the West are already outsiders. So, you gotta go to where other outsiders will gather.

4 Likes

Mod note:

Steer clear of woke identity politics please. BALG does not judge whatever path anyone follows, we all have to find our way somehow and we’re here to talk about our own magick not bitch about whether we agree with what random other practitioners do with their free time. Two posts deleted.

In keeping with the energy of BALG as an open form, and the light of freedom, we support all people practicing all forms of magick from every corner of the Earth. Every little helps. We don’t need to be negative to our fellow seekers, let them be if you can’t help them along their path towards ascension.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for explaining. Sigh you’re right about how people who practice are likely on the fringes of society. That means I’ll have to search more thoroughly. Also that’s such a fun fact regarding dancers at bars! I’ll think about the magical energies the next time I got to the bar!

You can always perform magick to meet more magical people :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

It’s fun and you dnt take it to emotional level,tarot fun stones jewelry and support each other, mostly beginning, tru it’s a jealous about peopls whit title’s,and it’s a little hidden spot about open talk ,bcse people’s want to be the best and want accept facts in the most practiners but beginners are great as friends in love you be wondering if she/ him curse etc ,it’s another level.

1 Like

Where I’m from there aren’t that many that practice. I could always perform a ritual to meet more people who practice.

I’ve tried to introduce people to practice but that has never gone well. One person likened it to dungeons and dragons and another likened it to fantasy of crazy people. Another person start doing signs of the cross at me when I mentioned Anasi and wanting to know more about African occult rituals (this person has documented mental health issues and was sectioned for her own good for several months)

Most people wear pentagrams and occult symbols merely as a fashion statement

2 Likes

I found the concept of “witch friends” nearby always exciting; the last couple of months I am also confronted on a regular basis with open practicioners very close to my current residence and on one or two occasions I was so tempted to just come out of the solitary practicioner thing.

Until I remembered what kind of experiences I made so far with practicioners who are not in my DIRECT environment. I decided that I don’t want to deal with such things in front of my door :sweat_smile:

Don’t underestimate the quality and impact of one good advice that comes from an honest interest for your wellbeing, “normal” friend or not. Sometimes this stuff is way more helpful than a group of practicioners who are not exactly as invested into your wellbeing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s not that, it’s just that the population density is low, and not that many care to meet up, so the one that do are few and far between. When you find then, they’re usually too far for practical meetups.

The other thing that works is to be in a big city and look for a meetup that is for the big popular orders, (those never attracted me as I’m not open to conforming to fit an order or pseudoxtian church of any kind).

Or, as zorrito says go for something popular like new age crystal store event nights, yoga classes, etc. However, these people can get very scared of you if you “don’t vibe” because you practice black magick, and you can talk about philosophy and spirituality with them, but not about the occult. Same with wiccans and related pagan groups, they are in a very specific niche.
You have to act like them to get on with them, which can be a good learning experience, but ultimately feels insufficient and hollow.

We have meetup threads that always fizzle, time and time again you see people asking if there are others in their area, and rarely there’ll be an answer, and then only one.

What can work is a larger meet that’s organised as a one of or annual thing, and people travel, sometimes hundreds of miles to make it. More like an informal convention.

You can do this on BALG as well, by the way… In the Group working section, anyone can open a thread to invite people to join a Group Working. If you search on this term you’ll see examples. You can also run that as a group PM or unlisted thread if you want the working itself to have more privacy.

So, to borrow your example, start a thread suggesting the idea of a working group to do magick against bulling in the workplace, and how the ritual would work done remotely, whether people will all do it at the same time or not etc. Then when ready ask for that to be closed and open your PM/Working thread.

BALG forums have special rules for Working Threads, particularly that posts complaining about the premise or style of working are not allowed.

For one off requests maybe try our opt in request thread.

4 Likes

Very few witches ive come across actually practice on a regular basis. Theyre obsessed w crystals and lightwork and are afraid to curse very bad people who deserve it.

Only one of my witch friends actually likes the work that i do. Most other people see my circle, my alter, knives and hear the word “demon” and stop right there.

Theres one legit witch that runs a shop i go to regularly. She has an alter to santa muerte in there and does deity work. I have yet to actually have a deeper conversation about my practice w her but im sure it would be enlightening.

So to say it simply, theres lots of “witches” but very few practitioners.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for the advice! You’re right. I should not take my normal friends’ advice for granted… And also what you said does make me think twice about befriending other practitioners in real life haha!

Thank you for referring me to that thread! I appreciate your advice too!

1 Like