Through the nine worlds of Yggdrasil; pathworking (Journal)

Ok I’m reading the mythology and lore and history currently. Working on the eddas next. So I’ll just copy this little bit and follow it. Also is there any reason I need to get a silent mind before starting the runes? Cause that is keeping me from even practicing my meditation since I cant get to silence. And thank you @itsnathanm7 i truly appreciate your input!

And i apologize @Teras390 i keep derailing your thread :flushed:

2 Likes

Don’t worry about that. It’s pleasant with member interaction in threads like these from time to time. Plus it’s nice for me to see that the info I put out through my experience inspire and/or help out others.

1 Like

@itsnathanm7 summed it up nicely. One more thing I’ll add though is though, that for some people the silencing of the mind happens when there’s chaos around them. What I mean is that you can use ritual music that’s loud or you add tons of incense and/or wiggle around lot beforehand you do anything spiritually related. Doing any physical activity for this who have a very active mind can really help shuting it up long enough for you to experience what you need to. Initially we distract the mind in various ways due to the fact that our minds hates not having something to focus on. Once something is understood or experienced then we won’t necessarily need that many triggers or distractions to find the experience one again. Hope that makes sense. It’s fine adding this to a walking meditation with a rune where you contemplate the runes meaning or shape while walking, as the walking occupies your mind while you contemplate the rune or my favorite sitting by a river or a stream if you can find one as the running water helps your mind to relax, at least that’s the case for me.

1 Like

That makes a lot of sense! Thank you. Over 10 years ago, I used to practice a form of qi gong and after the lessons my mind would normally be silent. I might start incorporating that qi gong or tai chi practice back into my daily life again. I tend to already burn a lot of incense and play a lot of heilung or wardruna or danheim when I meditate. My oldest hates me for that lol

1 Like

Additional Information Regarding The Work With This Rune

Another experience relating to the visual experience of the rune Pethro will be accounted for below, however I must sadly say that I’ve been instructed to relay some parts of my experience to you; whereas some parts of of it I’ll have to keep to myself for now. This was not my intention but for some reason it was a direct instruction from Odhínn, can’t argue with that. According to the man himself this particular rune is apparently really powerful and should be used with care once fully understood. Ontop of the experience that will be accounted for below, I’ll add another layer to my rune workings, which I have previously neglected to share as I viewed it as unimportant, that something is the feeling I get from working through the different stödhur (you can view them as rune postures using you body as the manifestation of their shape), which you may or may not experience in the same way it’d be great to know either the case just for the sake of it.

The vision of Pethro

This started out much like the previous times meaning the set up was about the same I placed two white candles on my altar to the left and right of idol and lit them along with myrr incense. I picked out the rune in the bag and placed infront of the idol with my new sacrifical bowl which has yet to be fully consecrated for that specific purpose; connected with the rune just using my mind and not form of substances this time as I want to use such sparingly in order to not become dependent on them to work with the runes.

What I ended up seeing after intoning the name of the rune; Pethro x9 times was that I was back to viewing the runes shape on the surface of a piece of bone similar to the one that was already infront of me on my altar, then it moved through me and dissolved into a giant puff indigo and silvery colored smoke after going right through my upper body. Then the vision fades out to black for moment and nothing happened, I say a moment because I don’t know how long it was between each section of this, I remember wondering why nothing seemed to happen, then I heard the howling of wolves as in one of Heilungs song, specifically Alfadhirhaiti, heck I could even see the part where a guys face with a piece of bone attached to his cheek howling, like in the live performance. The image faded then the the rune appeared again floating freely inside space, among stars and other galaxies and the words:

• Munnin af Odhínn

came to me slowly, one word at a time. As for the exact meaning of this vision and how it can be applied, this is the part I’ve been intructed to keep my mouth shut about. You can get some ideas from the translation of the runes name as well as its corresponding rune poem in terms of application and such from there. I’ll post about that today the theoretical aspects of the rune and how it relates to a story in the Edda actually, although not directly so that it’s mentioned by name.

As for the Stödhur or Stadha that’s something else what I did for this rune was sitting on the floor on my butt with a straight spine and my elbow straight out and paralell to my chin and slightly bent at the elbows pointing a bit forward, my legs had feet on the ground and the legs where bent at the knees like they’d be if you would you do a sit up. I vibrated the name of the rune while holding this position. The arms ached after a while because it was a new position and I had poor blood circulation to the extremeties of my body, including my hands due to being a smoker in the past. However what was clear though was that the energy coming down (yes, coming down) from above and from below through my feet was light blue almost white, with a touch of silver to it. I associate the color with lunar properties although it doesn’t have to be that way at all, or rather it worked really well chanting this rune in the evening/night rather than daytime for some reason, at any rate. The feeling I got from the energy itself was a lukewarm feeling althought the temperature was felt as being cold with a hint of warmth in it as well. This rune instilled into me the physical sensation of anticipation, the sense of anticipation you get when something big is about to ahppen, or like you’d feel if you are about the win a million dollars or when there are high stakes on something; the feeling when you dare yourself to do something you fear, for me it would be climbing up along a wall, as I am afraid of heights. It’s that sense of anticipation and adrenaline rush I am trying to describe and it’s quite contrary to the feel of the energy which was more calm but well still flowed like the current of a strong stream, if that makes sense.

That’s about my notes from the experiences of the rune with one of the Stödhur, I have one more vision to replay I’ll do that in the next post which will also cover rune poems and the meaning of the name and such.

Hope you enjoy this post and that this helps you out.

All the best

1 Like

Fascinating experience with pethro. And synchronicity in that i just read about this rune last night when i was looking up birth runes. It happend to be the one listed for my birth time Jan 22. I find a lot of beauty in the descriptions given for this rune of mystery. In one of them it says that it can be related to giving birth and the life creating process of gestation, which is heavily shrouded in mystery still to this day, and the examples you gave remind me of the anticipation, thrill, excitement, calm and warmth I felt before each of my children were born.

And munnin af Odhinn. The mind or memory of Odhinn. I look forward to deciphering that one as time goes on and I learn more. Thats if im meant to learn. I’m being pretty presumptive and arrogant thinking that was meant for me :flushed: lol

1 Like

The Pethro rune revealed itself to me one more time for now. The visual experience was undertaken in the same way as the last time, with the aid of alcohol. The set up was exactly the same; idol, two white candles, myrrh incense and placing the rune in front of the idol.

I then vibrated then grabbes my drinking horn filled it up with a small amount whiskey (not very traditional I know); dropped the rune in there and then raised my horn above my head and said the same incantation as the last time:

Hail to Odhinn the All father, The Wise One, The One-Eyed Wanderer, King of Aesir, Lord of Valhallah, God of Poets, Warriors and Kings.
I raise this whiskey in your honour so that you may partake in this drink with me.

I then lowered it to chin level and vibrated it’s name nine times. After that I raised the horn to eye level and said;

As this whiskey leaves this drinking horn and into me so shall the knowledge and power of this rune also be poured into me, you may partake and share this drink with me, inspire me with your knowledge and the power of this rune.

And then I drank is all until the rune was all that was left in there, I then placed I front of the idol and vibrated it’s names nine times more and then gazed at it. The gaze is supposed to relaxed like you look at something when you daydream. Be sure to have this relaxed gaze when you vibrate the name of the rune. When you are done, continue to gaze it breathing slowly focusing on the air going into your abdomen through your nose, and leaving your mouth on the exhale. Once the former has been done and the rune appeared to more or less fade out from the surface which it had been carved upon, I closed my eyes. From there the following week took shape:

At first there was nothing other than the backside of my closed eyelids. Then the rune appeared glowing deep red inside this void. The size were abnormally large, it was at least 2 meters tall (6ft (I think)). It moved quickly towards me and hit me right in the chest and dissolved into a silvery puff of indigo, only to reappear above me lower itself over me and “swallow me whole”, or rather absorbed me into itself. From there I fell from a sky and crashed into a dark ocean near an tropical island. The sky was red like the red you’d see at sundown. Then the rune appeared in the sky once again but behind me, it shot out these light blue colored tendrils, five of them,
these was the tendrils grabbed me and pulled me into the floating rune again. The rune started to radiate bright white light, dissolving the ocean; the island etc. until it was just it glowing; suddenly I were back where I started and the rune just spit me back out. It was the same process as entering it but the process was backwards. Then the rune quickly faded and a strange version of the rune ingwaz appeared. It looked like this version of Ingwaz;

Although the pointy ends where we’ll pointier, and a black snake coiled around it, like some images shows the kundalini ascending through the chakras. At that moment I heard a telepathic voice saying that;

you’ve seen all this rune has to offer you for now, you should move on to the next one.

I then opened my eyes and I were back in my temple, confused at first where I was. As I had apparently hit a very deep trance state with the aid of all the triggers.

That was about it as far as the visual experience goes. Next up is a ritual of consecration and the name and such of the rune.

The Stadha of Pertho didn’t give much result this time for some reason. The visuals where about the same, the light blue light seen contained small bright points in it. The energy felt luke warm and reminded me of streaming water in terms of physical sensation.

I should add that to even if I work through the runic alphabet, I’ll never really be done though. As each rune likely will unveil more of itself as I grow in this art.

1 Like

This is my new Ingwaz rune. I choose a different version because somehow it resonates with me more than the regular one. At any rate here’s what it looks like;

This is after it’s been carved and that’s about it.

Consecration ritual - á la The Heathen

In addition to the above I also did a slightly altetered version of a rite of consecration today. Here’s how I did it;

It followed the approach of the hammer in many ways.

The stuff you’ll need;

1. The sigil or the name of Hel or Hella spelled out in rune writing.

2. A sacrificial bowl, mine was of black colored bowl made out of clay.

3 Myrrh incense.

1. Black cloth.

2. Red Ribbon

3. Alcohol (something you can just barely drink, it tastes good but it’s strong). Whiskey for me.

Note: this rite is very much inspired from how I consecrated the hammer. There are just a few differences which you’ll see. All credit goes to Asbjörn Torvol for creating this rite.

I drew the symbol of Hel;

Found on page: 129 in; The Heathen a Viking Grimoire of Norse Sorcery.

At the bottom of the bowl I’ll motivate why later. I smoked it with myrrh incense, as in holding the bowl with my left hand and letting the incense well up around the bowl from underneath it.

Then I called on Hel using a slightly improvised version of the dedication prayer.

Hail to Hel, Child of Loki. Goddess of the dead. Queen of Helheim. I call upon you here and now, to aid me in empowering this sacrificial bowl of my ancestors; to consecrate to the work of the Vitki (replace with Völva if you are a woman). As my thanks and gratitude I hereby give you this whiskey.

I then proceeded to wrap the bowl in black cloth, and then thing the red ribbon around the bowl while saying;

*Sacrificial bowl of my ancestors I cast you into Ginnungagap, with my energy and Hel’s blessing, to then emerge after nine days as you’ll grow in power and might. *

I then proceeded to cover it up in another layer of black cloth and stored it away somewhere safe. And I am not waiting for nine days when I can wrap it up and use it the way it supposed to.

Why I chose Hel instead of Ódhínn is because, Hel should in theory hold the keys to call forth any dead human being, including my human ancestors and as long as something dies, it belongs to her. Even the All father has respect for her as you can’t just enter and leave Helheim as you to please as the goddess has the final say in who enters and leaves her realm. I can’t wait to eventually start working with her, at any rate. I found that if I want investigate and do more ancestry work she’s the top candidate excluding Ódhínn.

That’s about it. Hopefully this were a pleasure read so far.

All the best

2 Likes

Awesome explanations! I will follow this once I start working the runes. Thank you for breaking it down so well :blush:

1 Like

Say hello to my new friends (on the left and right in the picture below).

which intrestingly arrived yesterday on my birthday nontheless. I consider it pretty significant in of itself. In addition to the former I’d like to add that I have something to share regarding the Ingwaz rune. Theoretically as well as practically, in addition to the aforementioned some really prevalent omens have also occured as a result of working with this rune.

However I’ll do all of that, the sharing, of my discoveries tomorrow; as well as adding some missing info regarding to the Pethro rune. I know I have been inconsistent as of late but a lot of stuff has been getting in the way, until tomorrow then.

All the best

1 Like

Regarding the Ingwaz rune:

bild

In terms of visual experiences this rune in terms of visions haven’t yielded anything for me, really weird by the way. This rune gives me a lot of feelings instead and has various effects as well when it’s gladr is chanted. I’ve tried three forms of Galdr;

Ingwaz x3.
Ing
Ang Ong Eng Ung
Ung Eng Ong Ang
Ing

I tried the above and then I tried this;

Inguz x 3

And finally I tried this version;

Ingwaz x3,
Ing

It worked alot better according to me. Be sure to hold these notes as those ring clearly like in the word: ring. It prodcues a very noticable feeling in your face when you do it correctly. The sound is a medium tone according to me and not a chesty tone at all. But experiment and be sure to find a pitch that’s clear and comfortable to you.

Several times throughout the day. Having this rune with me in my pocket gave me a feeling of contentment or rather like I had a bubble around me whenever I brought with it.

As for the rune poem there’s only the English rune Poem that is preserved regarding this rune and goes like this according to Mountfort (2003): “Ing, first seen by the East Danes, later rode his wagon away, wastward over the waves; thus was the great god namned”. (p. 179)

Accoding to Thorsson (1987) this can be seen as as one of the runes power being a reciever and bearer of energy and then releases it after a period of gestation; like a in the english rune poem that sailing east is the equivalent of sailing into the unknown or rather into the hidden realms, apparently it’s code for always going to the etins to the dark preconscious forces of universe. I think this is an intresting paralell as this rune then in theory embody the process of life death and rebirth. This is also intresting because this way of thnking has many other parallells to other stories relating to heroes from all over the world, like the stories of Greek Mythlogy. Heck, even the path of the Sun were Rah was supposed to battle the forces of the underworld only to emerge once more. Anyway I digress…

The meaning of the rune simply refers to the vanir god Freyr, the son of Njörd, and brother of Freya. One of Freyr’s names are Inguz as one of his names. But this rune just Peorth or Pertho is somewhat undecided among experts it seems.

As far as the effects of the rune it produced a definite effect in me and my partner. So it’s an excellent fertility rune to say the least for guys, that doesn’t mean it won’t work on girls too as Freja is female counterpart of Freyr in terms of fertility. Whereas Frigg/Frigga is according to some connected to Freya enough so it is believed they stemmed from one and the same goddess.

As for the Stödhur it produces a very highly energetic connection between your genital area and your elbows, and makes it vibrate in your arms. A werid side effect was that, for me it caused invoulantairy erection when coupled with the Galdr from before. Regarding the Stödhur I do it differently than the author Edred Thorsson suggests in the pictogram in A Handbook of Rune Magick on page 65. Instead I prefer to do it like this; sit on your butt and then put your legs and feet together so that they are paralell, make sure your knees are slightly bent with your feet in the ground. Now let the knees fall apart to the side (left and right) with your feet together pointing straight ahead when your feet. And then place your elbows right next to your kneecap, and let your fingertips touch together. Congratulations you’ve new made a way more comfortable and wholesome stödhur than many others according to me .This stödhur in terms of energy feels…earthy and oddly enough has a bit of fire in it according to me. The energy is green like that of leafs and orange like fire.

As for applications of this I’ve found two after my nine days which are; A) storage of spiritual energy and release of it - much like the suggestion of workings in Edred Thórrson’s book the Handbook of Rune Magick; B) This rune is a potent rune to amp up your sex appeal and also incite lust in others. Also I believe you can help out with pregnancy or getting pregnant with this trune, unfortunently I haven’t tried it since I don’t have someone to try that aspect of the rune on. I don’t know how it will work for women but it should work the same for both genders esepcially since I personally find that this rune belongs to Freya and Freyr both of them not just Freyr. You can also see the connection in some other variants the Elder Futhark has the tilted square, whereas the younger futhark has the Ingwaz rune but with a line in it to symbolize the male genitalia. You could make an argument like I will that if you exclude the lines you basically have a very square like vagina. And considering it has the abillity to store and release energy it’s not to unlike a womb where magick will and can be fertalized and made to grow. According to Karlsson (2002) the rune represents masculine power of reproduction and that the word Ing means seed or sperm. And the name Ing is corresponds to Frö (EN: seed) or Freyr. Freyr is the brother of Feya and also her husband. Finally according to the same author the word yngling (means a virile young man) and that the then name Yng could potentially be traced all the way to a Swedish royal family and their dynasty: Ynglingarna and could thereby trace, which in turn could traced back to name Yng or Ing. The rune according to the Karlsson represents potential of that which is yet to come.

I agree with mostly what he says but I have I think this view on the rune to me doesn’t add up all that nicely, some of you might say: “Who are you to argue with a professor and such an astounding occultist such as Karlsson? He was around long before you were born and certainly is more knowledgeable than you.” - you wouldn’t be wrong you know, he certainly know more and than I do in many respects and is not only a great author but a highly respected occultist as well, Professor Karlsson will likely always know more than I do on the subject. However with the former being said I must say I disagree with his view on this rune. Meaning, the view that this rune is just about the male aspect of reproduction and sexuality simply doesn’t make sense to me, esepcially when you take into account the shape of the rune when contrasted and compared with existing variants of them. You see the shape also is an aspect of the rune and by twisting and turning it you can correlate an image to it’s meaning, most of the time.However, some runes are easier than others to do so. To illustrate what I mean, you can pretty clearly see or rather make the connection between this variant of the rune;

bild

-to the male genitalia.

To note though even though this variant of the rune along with the Ger - rune in the anglo saxon alphabeth is partially attested; it’s still debated wether or not these variants are cipher rune for Thurisaz or Wunju. With that being said we can also see an antoher connection as there was a cult to the Godess Nertheus who one of her titles is mother earth (or Tera Matter) and the godess of the earth was called Jördh- which has an ambigious tie to the Godess Frigga, which in turn is the mother of Baldr but Jördh is the mother of Thórr. Bare with me I am going somewhere with this. In essence I believe Frigga and Freya was once one Goddess and they were separated into to names as Nertheus and Jördh. Nertheus is sometimes refered to as Freyr’s lover according Mountfort 2003. Freya and Frigg have thematic overlaps so much so that there’s a connection between them that they were probably the same or had a very similar function once upona time. Freyja is also married to the God: Odr - which later turned into, you guessed it, Odhínn. If we interpret this connection That Freyja and Frigg would be the one and the same goddess and they would be either Nertheus or Jördh or even both of them this would make Freyja into Jörd and thereby Thórrs mother which would also mean that Thórr is also part vanir. But that is not all through that tie we can clearly see that Freyja has a tie to this rune as well through that connection, intresting stuff right? Wether or not it’d be the case as I realize the connection I suggested above may be tenous remains to be said with certainty though. However I am pretty sure based in my reasearch that they were once one goddess as that seems to be way more likely.

Then there’s another thing with this rune it’s shape specficially the aglo saxon version of the rune:

bild

It has similar structure as the double helix that makes up your DNA. According to Mountfort (2003) the norse believed in the power of bloodlines, as in ancestral spiritual ties like fetches (fylgja); that conveys a sense of familiar or doplegänger, as well as hamingja - a type of guardianspirit that’s usually the opposite gender form yourself. Your bloodline is then apart of a genetic, familial, tribal as well as spiritual hertiage. Regarding the connection between the Ingwaz rune and male and female genitals as well as conception; the author Gerard (2009) makes the same conncetion as me:

“The question over the meaning of the rune and use of Inguz is wether it represents fertility (including the fields and the harvest), human fertility, or sexuality. My hunch is that it is representative of sexuality and conception rather than that of generalised growth and fertility (for this is represented by the Jera rune). Inguz therefore represents both male and female genitals and the point of conception” - (p. 120).

With that being said I think I’ve made my case clear enough, this rune is rather multifaceted and complex but I’ve learned a lot about this rune as well as, how to use it if you want a sex partner it’s fantastic rune for this among many other things. We got one more rune to cover before I show my new one and that is the rune poem and such for Pertho.

References

Gerard, K. (2009). Odin’s Gateways: A Practical Guide To The Wisdom Of The Runes Through Galdr, Sigils And Casting. London: Avalonia.

Karlsson, T. (2002). Uthark: The Nightside Of The Runes. Rochchester, Vermont: Inner Traditions Bear And Company.

Mounfort, P., R. (2003). Nordic Runes. Rochester, Vermont Destiny Books.

Thorsson, E. 1984. Futhark: A Handbook of Rune Magic. San Fransisco: Weiser Books.

Thorsson, E. 1987 Runelore: An Esoteric Runology. York Beach, Me: Weiser Books

That the goddess Nertheus is Terra Matter is stated in Thorsson’s and Mountforts work is true, however that this was her name was accounted for by Tactitus in his book Germania which is something both authors states clearly, which ironically I might add; I didn’t.

Another thing though which I didn’t mention Nertheus and Njörd are likely Freyr and Freyas parents, Njörd is the known Father of the two by the mother is a bit obscure. Nertheus is one of “our” best guesses so far. Njörd and Nertheus form a duality like Freyr and Freyja. Which can make my argument above seem strange indeed. Esepcially that they would be married sine according to the Myth eh’s married to Odr. And also since Nertheus has a title as mother earth it is not that hard to make the connection to Jördh which is the same title apparently that’s been attributed to Frigga as well as hers and Freyjas thematic similarities are strong enough to tie them together…, anyway I am repeating myself. I could be right or very wrong but I don’t think I am all out in the middle of the sea. And I will someday try this out for myself to verify this claim through magickal experience and experimentation.

1 Like

This is meant to say Freyr is the brother of Freya and not her lover unless you take into account the connection I make between her and Nertheus… I say this because according to Mountfort there exists a variant where Nertheus is more or less a lover of Freyr. So…Either Freyja could according to my argument be married to Odhínn or to Freyr. If she’s married to Odhínn then she could be Thórr’s mother. If not she could and would be be married to her son which doesn’t make sense either, unless Freyr is a mask of Njörd and she, Freyja, is a mask of Nertheus which was kept separate to porbably not cause confusion, it’s food for thought though. What I will say with partial certainty is that Freyja has clear connections to Frigga and therefore partial connection to Jördh and Nertheus which certainly begs the question if she indeed is the mother of Thórr if that’s true.

1 Like

I have been thinking the same thing. I read on norse mythology for smart people about the connection. I want to add in Frau hulda as well as a potential mask for both freya and frigg. She acts almost like the bridge between them and is married to wodan.

2 Likes

If I may chime in, I do agree that they’re connected and there is some historical evidence that they’re the same, if you dig deep.

Particularly, that Frigg was created as a way of Christian Propaganda downplaying the importance and power of Freyja. If I can find where I heard that I’ll link it.

2 Likes

It would make more sense to me if they were the same being. As frigg and freya already have so many traits in common. The difference being that frigg is looked at as the mother and freya the maiden. Thats why I think Frau hulda is also freya and frigg and would be the crone aspect. Also that freya was thrice burned, correlates to the degradation of her status as a single triple primordial goddess into the three watered down separate versions.

3 Likes

Gullveig is also thought to be an aspect of Freya.

2 Likes

This I very much agree with as well!

2 Likes

Fun fact the Norse word Freyja in Old Norse apparently means exactly that; maiden. And it would then seem much like her brother’s name Freyr you can add each respective name as a title like Yngvefreyr or Freyryngvi which would work as a title for a young virile man. Which works just like a title like Ba’al or Bael which both means King or rather Lord.

2 Likes

Man nice journal! Definitly made a lot of good points and sparked my interests in some aspects.

1 Like