Through the nine worlds of Yggdrasil; pathworking (Journal)

Before my official thank you note here’s the post where this thank you originated from:

Also to provide a context as well as s summary. On my 30th birthday, which happened not too long ago, I receieved many wonderous gifts whereas about 90% of them related to the norse pantheon in some way. As in I received a runset in blood stone, two books pertaining to to the Myth as well as Magick and meaning of plants and runes themselves. Including a day trip to the viking trade center known as Birka in Stoockholm. I thought about them as regular birthdday presents and thanked my friends for these great gifts. To note I didn’t see thins anything but that, but it would prove to be a sign from the gods and godesses of the oath, which I indeed am very grateful for. In addition to the former I also received a free set of three wooden idols, specifically idols I’ve been eyeing but not been buying in the mail the day before yesterday. I looked carefully for notes form the seller in the packaging as well as my inbox; I also looked for a giftcard in the packaging but none where to be found. So here’s the official thank you note to the gods and goddesses this post relates to (that I know of);

This thank you goes to Oðín, Freyja, Loki, Hel, Thórr, Yngvifreyr and Baldr for giving me such fantastic gifts both spiritual and physical. I thank you for your kindness towards me and promise no to squander or waste this opportunity. Know that this work is dedicated to you and I shall in turn for every boon and gifts bestowed invest them to fuel my workings further onto this path and make your ways known to the all that may see, heat and to know them.

Thank you, all of you for watching over me and my fellow kinsman and kinsmen; I also want to thank my ancestors and honour them as their blood runs through my veins, I thankful and I am also grateful for every opportunity and lesson you are willing to show and teach me. I thank hereby thank you along with the gods and godesses of the North. Thank you.

Thrice spoken, trice done.

Hail to you all.

EDIT:

“Hail to the Aesir hail to the Vanír!
Hail to the gods and godesses of my folk!
Hail to my ancestors that watch over me!
Hail to the spirits and Landvetter. guarding and guiding!
Hail to the bonteous earth.” (p. 109-110)

The above dedication prayer is from The Heathen and is done as authored by (Torvol, 2018).

Hail you all and hail to you dear reader.

References

A. Torvol. (2018). The Heathen: A Viking Grimoire of Norse Sorcery. USA: Become A Living God.

2 Likes

Here are the books I was talking about;

The title more or less translates into;

The Keys to the Mysteries of the North in English. The subtitle says in order; Magic, wisdom, healing arts, Gods and Godesses. The book is a compilation in a really easy and clear cut way about the topics on the previously listed. It doesn’t go in depth but it certianly provides a starting point.

This is a pretty good way to get into Norse Mythology without reading the Eddas or rather provides a spring board for you to peak your intrest.

1 Like

My altar now includes Hel/Hela, Freyr and Baldr they can be seen in the image below;

Freyr is from your perspective furthest to the right next to her father. Whereas Freyr is next to and behind her sister next to last, and furthest to left we have Baldr.

I want to add two things to this that are a bit of a side note. The first side note is that regarding the r in some names or words in Icelandic especially in old icelandic. it is pronounced as -ur not “r”, as apparently before the 1400 A.D you wrote it that way but it was pronounced as ur not as r. This is not something made up but an icelandic class mate made it clear to me that apparently this was the case and to illustratate she gave me these examples of how the words that would’ve been written with just an r before the 1400’s are instead written as like; hundur (dog), hnífur (knife), maður (mother [I think!]) etc.

If you wonder about the way I seem to place to the idols a bit incosistently is because I go by this formula that the heathen presents more or less. It says that the entity that yoy work with should be placed in the middle (in my case I placed it in the middle and forefront") of your Vé (altar), as a sign of respect as well as making it known this is the entity you focus your workings on but your are not forgeting the others if you know what I mean. Plus according to Torvol in a consultation I had with him a while back when working with the Æsir and Vanir and such, you should start your dedication prayers first to Oðínn and then; Freyja and finally to Loki (Loptr) as those three are the three are the “the divine trinity” of entities that will guide all other workings along your path along the Nine Worlds of Yggdrasil. Also I want to add this though to make it really clear the former of praying to all three first should “always” be done then if you do other workings with either of the Gods or Godesses of the pantheon include a thank you or an additonal dedication prayer to them. You don’t need to sit you can stand, kneel or you can have a party in their honour the main thing with this path is to take the founding principles which are presented adapt it to your needs and what works best for you and run with it, knock yourself out.

What I am trying to say is even if I use the book as my main reference point as of right now and I present many aspects as it is written, doesn’t mean you can’t experiment or add your own flair to it. I like to to go by the book first and if it doesn’t work I tweak it to suit me better. You can and are also encouraged by me do as you please.

The vikings where famous for their ability to adapt to whatever hurdles or conditions that were thrown at them, and we should strive to do the same as their descedants or rather now living practioners of this art.

Regarding the placement on the windosill (?), I felt some entities should be on the left and some on the right due to my preconceived idea of left having more lunar properties and right having more solar the exact motivation why I did is superflous and doesn’t add anything to this post so I’ll skip that part. Note that this idea may not be 100% right either as some entities on this path can’t be classified to fit into a distincly femenine/lunar or masculine/solar mold. Meaning if you have idols of any kind that you use place them as you damn well please according your intuition or what the spirits themselves tell you regarding that.

With that I wish you all the best in your workings see ya.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kinds words, I am glad my words can help out as it is the purpose of all of this excluding to keep track of my workings as I am a bit messy to be honest.

2 Likes

This is something I did not find, thank you offering this breadcrumb which I can begin to trail.

2 Likes

Feel free to chime in whenever you want, as you provide some really intresting thoughts into this little corner of BALG. And also you gave some really good references to look into last time. Once again, thanks for that.

2 Likes

Ignore this as I somehow managed to mess with my own post in a really werid way, sorry for the eye-rape.

2 Likes

So I I want to start learning and working with the norse pantheon do you have any books that will help me start in the right direction? Odin, frigg and baldr would be my main focus. I’d like to get a good grasp on their mythology while learning some basics of their magicks.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Neil gaiman norse mythology is a really good starting point. Its a fun enough read that my 8 year old is also learning about the norse gods through it.

I also started on uthark, the nightside of the runes. This book is really thorough so far and has many aspects that tie in with thelema systems (from my own point of view any way)

And eddred thorson* or flowers has really good books on norse magick and also aeon woer (or powelle) has one on rune magick… Ps most of these books can be found in some pdf sites for very cheap. And most all of aeon woers stuff is free on his website. Same with blatvasky and Arthur a Powell and c w leadbeater.

3 Likes

I like the feel of paper, its payday too so amazon here I come!! Thank you very much.

1 Like

I agree and I prefer paper books as well…my bank account and small house doesnt though and since I’m having to keep most of my stuff on the DL the pdfs are great. Just got a 32 GB mini sd card so now I can keep my entire pdf collection on my phone instead of google drive.

1 Like

Also try alibris.com for some of these books. The ones from blatvasky and leadbeater and Powell are mostly out of print now and amazon might not have them available.

1 Like

I have a surface pro I use solely for a digital grimoire that I take all my digital magic shit and keep it on it.

Also you should double check ebay for cheap used copies. That’s what I do with most of my books. Exact same info at a third the price. I just tend to cleanse them from negative energies to get the previous owners grubby dick beaters energy off it.

1 Like

bahahahaha you need to make a ritual with that name! :joy:

1 Like

A couple but before any of that I’d recommend you read the prose or the Poetic Edda before anything else. It’s more or less about immersion plus you’ll get a lot more of the references that are made in the stories and poems if you do.

As for books for the Pantheon I’d recommend

Thorssons - the first three books; The handbook of rune magic, Runelore, and the Web of Wyrd the runecasters handbok. For the runes. Along with;

Jan Fries Helrunar

I also recommend you look into The Heathen it’s a really good book - In regards to start the pathworking aspect of these workings. It gets into invocation as dedication prayers to build a relationship and from there the’ll start come through. In addition to the former I recommend Raven Caldera’s books on the subject as those are really great.

One of my sources from above: Odhínns gateways.

If you want to focus on the darker aspects of the Norse Magick see if you can track down Ekkortu’s books, among others.

2 Likes

Yeah I tried finding heathen earlier but it’s hard to come across

1 Like

It is. I don’t know if they still are selling it on BALG. If they do hopefully you can get it cheaper. I don’t know about any specific Grimoire on most of the races other the Aesir as well as the Giants. The reason as to why that is, is because there doesn’t exist a lot of preserved written material or archeological sources that’ve been found as of yet, at least not any clear one’s relating to the other races, at least not in terms of spiritual practices or cults to anything other than the Æsir. That I’ve been able to find myself.And it seems this guy sort of agrees with me on this;

2 Likes

Just came back to update, I’m a little over half the way through the eddas and almost finish with futhark.

Both have been really interesting and easy to keep interested.

2 Likes

I’ve finally found myself back at this current after indulging in some some Qliphothic workings; the sounds of silence and The Rite of Qliphothic Intrusion, along with some workings from BMOA (Black Magick of Ahriman) that’s been holding my attention for nearly a month and as a result I’ve just been doing some Rökkr workings like resting in Ginnungap, more on that later, and dedication prayer, thereby excluding the runes from my daily practice. I am directed here once more as I probably needed to learn or develop a few things first. Like my overall sensitivity and energy flow (as some areas in my body have a lesser flow of energy than others, found that out through the Qliphothic workings), among other things. So here’s my carved Lauguz rune I’ll add the theoretical info about this rune soon enough, here’s an image of the rune in the meantime;

Also the overall thing this rune seems to do when carried around is to increase overall sensitivity to energy, along with a more open senses in general plus it seems to open you up to synchronicities it seems as I keep seeing my totem animal the hare, I always thought it was a wolf but nope its not. There are three total by the way, one on land, one in the air and one in the water I’ve discovered one out of three so I need to find a way to discover the rest as well. The hare is a quite interesting animal it relates to witchcraft and the full moon among other things, really funny and weird thing that animal…at any rate and update will follow later. Until then I wish you luck.

All the best

1 Like

Here are some of my notes not all I’ll split the theoretical portion of this rune in two parts. So here’s basically what’ve found out about the runes meaning;

The word Lauguz means water or lake in protogermanic. In younger Futhark it’s called Löger, which translates to waterfall in Icelandic. The rune translates to ocean in anglosaxon, the Name being Lagu.

This journal will come alive again. I’ve been occupied with Ahrimanic magick for nearly a month. Although some effort has been invested into this current. Here’s an example;

As you can see I plan to do more than the standard 24 set. I don’t know why yet I am drawn to do it this way than the regular way. However, this is how it’s gonna be from now on. I’ll add some video journals to this as well. This is the expanded set of Anglo Saxon runes from the 5th century C.E. The set consists of 26 to 33 letters. And was used in England until the 10th-11th century.

1 Like