The Grand Rite Of Sharing The Fail

Getting black eyes from failed actions, behaviors etc is a rite of experience.

We personally learn.

Let us share AND discuss the FAIL you had and WHY it failed, how you could have made things work to perfection. Was it youthful arrogance, or just ignorance? Did you forget a step?

Personal accountability is important and humble acceptance for our part in such miserable failures in magic. It is an important step in learning.

5 Likes

Attaching to the outcome is what makes it fail most of the times. Our incapability to let it go from our minds.
Also some things are not meant to happen, either because there are multiple forces who ā€œworkā€ against, or because what we expect to happen is not for our greatest benefit. Some call it ā€œfateā€, I call it having illusions.

2 Likes

I had some obsessive spiritual work towards a career goal going on this year. Much energy and time was invested.
It blasted at the very last moment.
In hindsight I discovered that it might have been my own doubt about the goal itself (since I also peeked to other career options and questioned my current company in general) that brought the flaw into my work shrugs
I am just an indecisive little bird, I guess.

2 Likes

Perhaps what we want isnt always what we NEED, is a very good thing to keep in mind.

3 Likes

The only fails I had was when I did stupid things or didnā€™t actually do the things.

3 Likes

I make the observation that this is internalising a failure as an aspect of your personality - you win, you are proud, boastful; you fail, you are humbled, lowered mood.

Iā€™m sure this is the natural reaction of a mammalian creature to goal-seeking and to attaining varying results, where emotion and brain biochemistry are affected by input from externally-perceived things, BUT, still, I strive to have this as my aspirational philosophy, some parts are easier to attain than others:

Ifā€”
By Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, donā€™t deal in lies,
Or being hated, donā€™t give way to hating,
And yet donā€™t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dreamā€”and not make dreams your master;
If you can thinkā€”and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth youā€™ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ā€™em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ā€˜Hold on!ā€™

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kingsā€”nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty secondsā€™ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything thatā€™s in it,
Andā€”which is moreā€”youā€™ll be a Man, my son!

ā€œIf you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the sameā€

If you take most comedies, the comedic fall-guy will usually be someone who gets all bloated and obnoxious on the rare occasions he gets the upper hand, and then falls back into self-hate and a kind of learned-helplessness, full of petty grudges, when heā€™s reduced to being a loser again.

These make for entertaining television and are to some extent found in all of us, but I believe when aspiring to non-ordinary levels of power, influence, and responsibility, we owe it to ourselves to ditch the rollercoaster rides and stay level on course, taking all things as merely feedback. Save the emotions for our loved ones, and for times thatā€™s a fun game to play.

That said, if you want to read a post I made a few years ago after a massive fail, rather emotional as well, itā€™s below, also some good advice from E.A. in reply (I did later sort the issue, it was lack of understanding of some observer-effect issues and other things of that nature):

7 Likes

Good point. Whether we are humble in our acceptance for our part in the failure doesnt discount the fact that it failedā€¦and we can learn from itā€¦and how to improve.

1 Like

The poem was in my second year graduation course syllabus. Felt good reading this.

2 Likes

Generally if I fail at something, something good comes out of it. At the same time it may be confirmation bias from my part trying to cope with the harsh reality of life.

TO me finding how everything works and then just gently push the right domino is what spiritual ascension- knowledge is all about. So trying to do that currently, understand existence - mind and learn how to cause the ā€˜rightā€™ ripple.

IF THE CAUSE IS RIGHT THE RIGHT EFFECT IS BOUND TO COME.

2 Likes

Yeah, I believe that I learn much more from errors than from any other stuff.

I tried once to have an ex-girlfriend back, some years ago. I failed again and again and from that, I discovered some few things.

First of all, to let it go. Second, to stop having ā€œmoral issuesā€ towards magick, it literally holds it down. Third to literally exhaust me in every operation. Fourth that I had to keep going until I had my first success.

So that put me on the LHP once for all. I learned a lot, left an order, start my own way and did a lot of successful workings from that.

I donā€™t consider any fail as completely fail. We always can learn from it, much more from any success or study.

3 Likes