How important is mental health in regards to working with spirits?

I think im being called to work with King Paimon however I realized that alot of my problems both in life and regarding being able to work with spirits stem from my mental health issues. I was wondering if yall had an opinion on if I should wait to call on King Paimon until I’ve got that to manageable levels?
Edit: It is probably important to mention that I was thinking of calling on King Paimon to help with things like anxiety and depression.

9 Likes

From my expirience (not with King Paimon exactly) i can say you have to be very cautious of yourself. During major periods of depression magical work was a burden and another source of doubt and frustration to me.

I strongly discourage of working magic while on ssri it turnes into hellish rollecoaster.

If you goes through mild or light or short-period depression, working with entity can be benefitial but no pacts. It is highly recommended to have few ‘good fairies’ around yourself. That are open-minded people who you can check with to see if you haven’t started to cackle :wink:

13 Likes

You should probably see a therapist first.

3 Likes

Lucifer and King Paimon and Belial were helpful when I was dealing with issues

Mental health is the top priority when dealing with unseen forces outside of you.

14 Likes

True but sometimes spirits can aid

1 Like

Most magickal orders would not accept you if you were struggling with depression or other mental conditions, if you were not actively seeking help. If you practice with an imbalanced mind it can lead to …interesting results. Working the Paths can help, depending on what your exact mental problems are. But they can also make the issues worse by orders of magnitude.

7 Likes

I would say, “Very important.”

5 Likes

Well, considering that magick can drive a even a grounded person into psychosis, I would say that having a stable mental environment is very important. Magick is an inherently destabilising force, and the more equipped you are to balance that force within your psyche, the better. Eliphas Levi even wrote in one of his books that those who would practice magick should seek therapy to make sure their mind was in order before beginning.

12 Likes

I would recommend you first work on your mental health. Look for professional help. Unless you very experienced working with spirits and your anxiety and depression is at a light stage.

Otherwise it could couse panick attacks and other levels of mental insanity.

2 Likes

As someone who has dealt with depression and anxiety in the past, I would say it is very important to have at least stability and awareness of signs things are going downhill before working with spirits. While my work ultimately helped free myself from the prison I created within my own mind, there was a constant need to reevaluate my state of mind during it to make sure I was not going off the deep end, which can be easy if you are not honest with yourself.

7 Likes

Can I ask why you’d discourage working magick on an SSRI?
I take one. Aside from blunting my senses, I’m certainly not on a hellish rollercoaster. In fact, it’s saving me from said rollercoaster.

2 Likes

SSRI’s are to stabilize your state and magic as @DarkestKnight said it correctlyis putting yourself into psychosis. Regular magic practices, not relaxation or smth, can counteract beneficial efects of SSRI

At least this is what I experienced few times

I would still wait for any unbalanced feelings to slide away at least first before reaching out to them. Depending with what spirit one is looking to work with it’s better to approach them with a much clearer state of mind to help understand each other easier on what you look for into working with them. It’s always better starting out with clear Intentions ready to have a set mind and begin discussing the things you would like to aided with. Whichever spirit it may. Being in good health in general when you know your feeling good is always a grate thing to begin with. Heck when I reached out to goddes Lilith for the first time she eventually aided with plenty of things not even myself could ever think of achieving regarding a healthier lifestyle. Was struggling when I first approached but my mind was still balanced at least to a certain extent which definitely helped my communication much clearer.

4 Likes

yes true, but i was struggling, they helped me a lot

3 Likes

It’s what makes these various spirits so wonderful to work with in the first place. Keep your mind easy man same with you @dagar We all got our own struggles one way or another.

4 Likes

I am late to the party, because I always am.

In another post of mine, A Personal Account of Parasites and My Own Ineptitude in Magic, I talked about how my own mental illnesses played into the parasite problem that I had, and those experiences are what I base my opinions on.

I believe that it is important to ourselves to work on our mental health prior to diving into evocation and pathworking. Sometimes, mental illness can make us fall prey to things like escapism or delusion, which could cloud our judgment when evaluating the realness of an experience with spirits (or reveal parasites). Depending on where you are in your practice, you may be already at an advantage or disadvantage when interacting with spirits and these internal “stumbling blocks” can only add to that.

It is possible, with practice and self-awareness, to have a valid experience and use those spirits for growth, but it requires being aware of your biases and actively challenging those when interacting with spirits.

Faustus wrote a post about the importance of the state of mind in rituals here that I think would be excellent, additional reading. In terms of methods that could help when working with this type of handicap, he also wrote another article that I think is great for this subject: How to Drop Mind.

I’d also add that this is an important thing to keep in mind when undertaking such a task:

At the risk of sounding like a double-talker–intent drives many things. If you go in with the intention of asking for assistance with the area that could potentially prohibit you from advancing in your practices, it could be worth attempting the work but taking your experiences with a grain of salt (which you should do always anyway, but I realize this is easy to say and hard to do even for me). It would also be important to recognize the risks and take steps to mitigate them. Practices such as grounding, shielding, and cleansing would be critical to keeping your space clear of potential hazards that could damage your experience.

In terms of spirits used for addressing the issues I perceive you are dealing with: Paimon appears to be a good resource for this, but could I also suggest additional entities if you decide to pursue this method of addressing your problems?

In Goetia Pathworking: Magical Results from the 72 Demons by Corwin Hargrove, Murmus is an entity that can calm thought and remove unwanted energy.

The book also suggests that Buer can also assist in mental and emotional healing. I can say that in my own pathworking on this spirit, I found myself at ease and found the pathworking of Buer to be a pleasant experience.

Another entity, Leraye is also suggested by Hargrove to assist with increasing mental strength, though this could be in relation to intelligence mor than

2 Likes

Damn thank you! And thank everyone else yall are amazing. I’ve decided to wait until I’m mentally stable now. Thank yall so much!!

1 Like

I don’t think magick is putting yourself into psychosis. Psychosis is a loss of touch with reality. Magick is seeing the bigger picture of reality.

For me, medication, magick and mundane practices like eating properly and exercising are all a huge part of fixing my mental health.