What do you think of "chilling adventures of sabrina" netflix series?

Greetings, I know it’s not related to BALG but I just wanted to ask how rightfully portrayed it is the new Netflix series called Chilling adventures of Sabrina, the way they present witchcraft. Is it all Hollywood bullshit like the Dark Lord and other stuff?

3 Likes

Just watching the trailer I got the stereotypical Hollywood bullshit from it.
It might be entertaining though.

10 Likes

Better than I feared, worse than I hoped. They did do some research into mythology and what people thought witches did during the witch hunts. Almost nothing in common with real witchcraft practice (though witchcraft is very varied, by region and by practitioner)

7 Likes

I don’t have Netflix, but here’s the trailer… uuuh, oh dear.

If the title wasn’t a big enough clue, she’s ‘half witch half mortal’, yeah, watch it for giggles - it looks like a comedy - but don’t expect any tips on improving your rituals.

Oh this is a spin off of Sabrina the Teenage Witch? Ok.

7 Likes

Its based on a horror comic. More campy than that but still reasonably dark.

6 Likes

By the way, I’m only halfway through the series but so far the trailer doesn’t do the actual series justice. Though it does have its weak points as entertainment for me (Sabrina’s mortal friends storyline, her constant smug grin and have it all attitude portrayed as being a “strong woman”) it is overall quite enjoyable. Though the comic is better.

In the comic when Sabrina’s “Dark baptism” happened, Harvey spied on them and got killed by the other witches in the coven (and possibly later eaten by her aunts, someone did anyway) later Sabrina tries to resurrect Harvey, but gets her father in Harvey’s body (who pretends to BE Harvey…badly in my opinion, though Sabrina didnt seem to notice)

2 Likes

So far I have only watched 3 episodes but the “Dark Lord” stuff is quite annoying to me since how it portrays the devil is not correct I think, it talks about how Sabrina would have to suffer 333 years in pit of hell during the trials in Witch’s court, and how they show Satan as an red light glowing Goat headed figure, and also the familiar stuff. It looks so confusing as someone like me is new to the occult and been learning about it daily.

1 Like

yes, specially the cheesy dialouges lol

2 Likes

It is not something to actually learn from, just entertainment.

9 Likes

The whole idea of her being forced to pick “light or dark” at 16 is laughably Hollywood so is the idea the demon will chase her for not signing her name away (also a big Hollywood flag since Daemons don’t want your soul).

4 Likes

you should see it but after watching first few episodes i feel like it’s just another usual netflix teenage comedy love story drama with stereotypical “The Devil hates all mortal” thing. Wonder If there’s a single tv series representing the real occult .

No

1 Like

I swear almost every single Hollywood movie or show portrays demons as soul hungry evil beings and shows completely wrong things about them. Hollywood is the best when it comes to brainwashing and giving agendas

1 Like

Haha it is hard to find since hollywood won’t give us the real hidden knowledges and represent us with false stuff.

1 Like

I don’t believe is ‘shoulds’, and, not that I’m aware of, but to be fair I don’t really watch or read much fiction… I hear some films have good elements. I forgot the name of that last one but it has chants lifted right out of V.K. Jehannum’s website and some decently researched ideas, so V.K. says. I want to see it, but I’ll probably forget.

(I loathe subscription models, so Netflix and similar are not in my future.)

2 Likes

Hereditary
That’s the one you’re thinking of. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Im only on episode 4 and its pretty dumb

1 Like

I freaking loved it. Binge watched the entire series in one go. Yeah it was campy and inaccurate but we all know that realism doesn’t sell. So just enjoy it for what it is, fiction.

11 Likes

I’ve watched Hereditary too but it looks more like a horror movie than real occult representation.

1 Like

It is not entertainments job to offer realistic depictions of things, entertainment is meant to entertain…Ask a soldier to review military films: (entertaining) Bullshit Ask a martial artist to review kung fu flicks: (entertaining) Mega bullshit. Those are not obscure topics, it would be fairly easy to make for example a realistic Kung fu movie. Yet it would not be all that entertaining even to real martial artists which are a relatively small group to begin with. Occultists, specifically ones who get out of the armchair trap are a even rarer breed. It is not profitable to pander to our desires. Though I my self don’t really even want a totally realistic occult movie.

4 Likes