My Big Fat Greek Mythology Thread!

I’m always ready for some Greek myths,legends and magic :pray:
Thanks.
Hvala.
ευχαριστίες

He’s my fave Greek hero.

I would love that! That would be great and thanks!

Since I’ve seen so many people around asking about Demons, if they’re bad or not, if they’ll ruin their karma and so on and also…many people don’t want to use the word “Demon” cause they have negative feelings connected with the word, I thought to start first with what Daemon (Δαίμων) aka Demon actually means, since there’s so much misconception around the word and, mostly, the meaning. Tomorrow then…!

I second this return to original terminology! I will for now on use the word deamon its actually much nicer version anyway.

Yes, its huge, I know, wasn’t planning to make it this big… :neutral_face: Forgive any mistakes in the translation, I got too tired…!

Daimon, Daemon, Demon

In ancient Greece, the word “Δαίμων” (Daimon, Daemon) involves piety. In epic poetry, the Gods are called Daemons.
It co-exists with the word God, but a Daemon was referring to the impersonal and undefined Power, while a God to the anthropomorphic divine entity. The meaning of Daemon, was equilavent to the Fate.

It comes from the word “δαίω” and “δαίομαι” which means “distribute”. Distribute each one’s fate. So a Daemon was the one who distributes and as an extension, in a more general meaning, the one who defines the fate of a human.

Also in the word Daemon, they attributed the concept of guardian angel. “By the guard of Daemon”. From here comes the word “ευδαιμονία” which means bliss, happiness, the one having the favour of a Daemon. As helpers of the Gods, they send their decisions through prophecies, while watching the evolution of mortal’s lifes until their soul is free from the bonds of their human body.

You can find them in many ancient texts, in works of Homer, Herodotus, Plutarch, Plato, Hesiod and others. They played an importand role in the lives of humans and are mainly referred to as deities that act in the heavenly space between Gods and humans. They have a two-way relationship, that is, in some way, the intermediary messenger of the Gods to the earthly world and vice versa.

According to Hesiod, Daemons are the souls of the first mortals that Gods created, the Golden Race, the purest of them all, deified by Zeus himself to protect humans. While the rest of us belong to the fifth race, the Iron Race.

“First of all the immortals who live in Olympus made the Golden Race or mortal men. But since this Race was covered by soil, they became benevolent Demons, by the will of Zeus the great, Guardians of the mortals on earth, who watch for fair decisions and unfair works, dressed in fog, the rich givers who walk all around the earth. This royal privilege they gained.” Hesiod, Works and Days.

Plato, in his work Cratylus, describes Daemons as wise, “δαήμονες”, and explains that when a righteous human dies, aqcuires great fate and honour and becomes a Daemon himself. “That’s how I perceive the Daemon (Δαήμονα), that is every human being, Divine as long as he lives and after he dies, and I think he is rightly called Daimon.”

After Hesiod, philosophers like Aristotle and Plato said that Daemons are the “next after Gods” or that they are “children of Gods but not Gods” and they were seperated as good fate or bad fate, Kalodaimon and Kakodaimon and was said that every human had one of each upon his birth.

Socrates could listen his Daemon from his childhood and was helping him to take the right decisions. He described it as a “voice I listen from within and which always when it comes, prevents me from things I shouldn’t do but never promotes”. They also had conversations about “everything that human wisdom could not compute”.

Philosophers like Thales and Empedocles were describing Daemons as the soul of the universe. The concept of Daemon reflects an immaterial form of high spirituality that diffuses into the universe and emanates from the Divine to help all humans or to test them in order to find their path in the difficult materialistic life.

However, the contact of the Daemon with a human requires an equivalent spiritual background for the mortals, for this is the only way they will perceive the kindness and benevolent nature of the Demon.
“This, my friends, is also the way the demon acts. As long as we are immersed in the mundane and changing many bodies as vehicles, it lets us fight on our own and persist, trying to find salvation through our own virtue and find our harbor. The soul however, having a good and eager struggle in long-lasting battles through innumerable births, and while its cycle approaches its end, defying the danger and showing goodwill for the outcome of its struggle, ascends to the higher beings with much sweat. That soul, God, does not find it unworthy to be helped by the familiar demon, but leaves anyone who shows willingness to help. And the demon is willing to save another soul with his encouragement. And the soul, because is close, hears him and is saved. If, however, (the soul) does not obey, the demon leaves (the soul) and has no happy ending.” Plutarch about Socrates Daimon.

All ancient Greek philosophers and writers who were initiated into the ancient mysteries (Eleusinia-Kavireia-Orphic-Cretan-Pythagorean, etc.) believed in reincarnation, in which the soul uses the body as a vehicle to incarnate on the earthly field. Gradually, through the opportunities presented in its consecutive incarnations, it evolves and once, when it is finished, it reaches the Theosis. The Demon can help in the faster perfection, as long as the mortal perceives Damon’s “vibrations” and “hears his voice”.

“But the thoughts of the Demons have light and shine upon the souls of the Demoniac people, without the need of words and names, which humans by using them among them as symbols see only Idols and images of thoughts. The same thoughts are known only by those who receive a Demonian light… Thus, the thoughts of the Demons, echo only among those who have righteous calm in their soul. These are precisely the people we call Sacred and Demoniac.” Plutarch about Socrates Daimon.

Plutarch also says that the souls who since birth they listen to their familiar Demon, they “become oracles and learn to leave their body during day and night and wander around the earth and come back again while have been present in conversations far away” Which is nothing else than Astral Projection. He also says how humans are more likely to hear their Demons when they’re half asleep or sleeping, because of the calmness of body and mind.

Plato in his work Republic, describes how the souls before they incarnate, choose their guardian Demon and not the other way around.

"As we have often said, there are three distinct kinds of soul in each of us, each with its own movements … But we must understand that the predominant kind of soul that God has given to each of us is a demon. It is what, as we said, resides at the top of the body and elevates us from the Earth to our heaven, for the truth is that we are heavenly creatures rather than earthly creatures. In the sky, the first birth of the soul occurred, and our roots are there - the divine soul attaches and roots our head, and from there the entire body rises downwards. So if one has devoted himself to wishes and quarrels and wasting all his momentum there, his thoughts are necessarily mortal.

He would even be completely mortal and himself, if possible; in fact, he is only a bit short of it, having developed only his mortal part. But if he is devoted to the love of learning and true wisdom and cultivates it primarily on the side of itself, he is bound to think of immortals and divines to approach the truth. It is a bit short of the attainment of immortality, as immortality is of course accessible to human nature. And because he always takes care of the divine soul and cares for the demon that is in him, it also arrives at a particular bliss (ευδαιμονία). " Plato, Timaeus.

Lastly, our Daemons are receiving our souls when we die and lead us to the afterlife. So, since this post became a bit too huge for my taste, let me just close it here with the Orphic Hymn to Daemons.

Demon not fallen angels
Hi!^^^

Hvala od srca.

#search for translation#

I don’t need to, I understand a bit of your language :stuck_out_tongue:

Oooh …do you? Well well

P.S. Ananke was something I trully respect.
This one is outta blue an your Greek stories simply pushed me to say it. When I heard about her it really did hit me deep down

Just added my new pcs to my greek mythology sleeve. I calledcalled upon Aphrodite just as I was about to begin and requested she bless it with energy. It was quite incredible when she began to place energy in the room, the artist said he was getting hot all of a sudden. But he did a great job!!

Theogony of Hesiod aka the Genealogy of Titans ~Short version~

From Chaos 6 Primordial Gods emerged, called “Immortals”. These were:

Gaia (Mother Earth)
Erebus (Darkness and Underworld)
Tartarus (Abyss and under the Underworld)
Eros (Birth) ~Not to be confused with Aphrodite’s son~
Pontus (Sea)
Uranus (Sky)

Gaia mated with Uranus and gave birth to the 1st generation of Titans/Titanesses.
These were 6 males:

Oceanus (God of the Sea)

Hyperion (God of Heavenly Light / Sunrise)

Coeus (God of intellect, the axis of heaven around which the constellations revolved and probably of heavenly oracles)

Cronus (God of Harvest)

Crius (God of Constellations)

Iapetus (God of Mortality)

and 6 females:

Mnemosyne (Goddess of Memory and Remembrance, inventor of speech)

Tethys (Goddess of Rivers and fresh water)

Theia ~also named Euryphaessa~ (Goddess of Sight and the Shining Light of the clear blue sky)

Phoebe (Goddess of the “Shining” Intelligence, Phophecy and the Moon/Selene)

Rhea (Goddess of of Female Fertility , Motherhood and Generation)

Themis (Goddess of Divine Law and Order)

2nd Generation of Titans/Titanesses and the Olympians

Oceanus & Tethys --> Oceanids (3.000 Goddesses and nymphs of waters), Potamoi (3.000 Gods of Rivers)

Hyperion & Theia --> Helios, Eos and Selene

Coeus & Phoebe --> Leto (mother of Apollo and Artemis), Asteria (mother of Hecate)

Iapetus & Clymene (one of the Oceanids) --> Atlas, Prometheus, Epimetheus, Menoetius

Crius & Eurybia (daughter of Gaia and Pontus, Goddess of mastery of the seas and external power over them) --> Astraeus, Perses, Pallas

Cronus & Rhea --> Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, Hestia, Demeter

Mnemosyne & Zeus --> The 9 Muses

Themis & Zeus --> Horae (Hours) and Moirai (Fates)

All the Titans who didn’t fought against the Olympians in Titanomachy were incorporated in Olympus.

Thanks for this, its really great! The titans almost seem as if they could have been a stand alone pantheon and the Olympians were added later? Possibly Mycenaean?

But they were a stand alone pantheon during the Golden Race era, or also known as “Era of Astraea” (Astraea is the daughter of Astraeus and Eos and is the Goddess of Innocence and Purity) . (see the post above on Daemons):

Could be very likely that they weren’t added, but they just took over. It’s not uncommon a hierarchy shift, we see it in many ancient civilizations and cultures, where a generation or a group of Gods are going against the Elders. Norse mythology, Sumerian, Hittite etc etc

Things were better under titan rule it would seem.

Anyone interested for Orphic Theogony (Orphism)? Since It’s a bit more complicated than Hesiod’s Theogony and it will take a good part of my time, I won’t do it for just 2-3 people.

I’m interested.

Hella interested!

A few things about this project to help people decide if they want to learn about Orphism and bump it:

1. According to Herodotus, the traditions of Homer and Hesiod were the most ancient and original survived works to explain an organised system of Cosmogony. But he also says that there were even older Cosmogonies such as the ones from Museus and Orpheus.

2. Orpheus was a polymath: Iatromantis (physician-seer), astrologer, rhapsodist, singer, thaumaturge, musician, warrior. Mostly known as a mythic figure, a poet who lost his wife Eurydice and traveled to the Underworld to plead for her return to Hades and Persephone.
    Hades as a God who maintains order, responsible to keep the dead from rising to the world of the living, refuses. The Queen of the Dead, moved to tears from his lament convienced Hades to allow the return of Eurydice with one condition: he must walk infront while Eurydice follows him and he must not look upon her until they’re both back in the upper world. On the way back, Orpheus doubted the Gods, ignores the interdiction and Eurydice slides back to the Underworld. It is on this visit of his to the Underworld that Orpheus receives his Mysteries and where the Orphism is born.

3. Orphism espoused a quasi-Pythagorean doctrine of metempsychosis (the transimigration and reincatnation of the soul after death).

4. And since his Gnosis came from the Underworld, his cult’s practices are slightly darker and more ascetic than was usual for Greek religion.

5. Foundational role in the Creation is upon an Entity before Gaia and Uranus (the Primordials of Hesiod) who came from the Cosmic Egg.

6. In Orphic Theogony, there is a Kingship so the stories are divided between the 6 Kings, with last being Zeus’s heir and son: Dionysus.

I am really interested in this please keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

This is fantastic! Bumped!