My Big Fat Greek Mythology Thread!

Made this thread for anyone interested in talking about the Greek Gods and Greek history or experiences anyone may like to share. Gonna start it off with some Disney

Correction! Mythistory!

Eurynome, The Goddess of All Things. (A lost story of Creation)

In the beginning there was Chaos. From the Chaos, Eurynome, the Goddess of Everything, rose naked and because she couldn’t find anything solid to stand on, she divided the Seas from the Skies, dancing alone on the waves.
Eurynome, danced towards the South and the wind of creation emerged from behind her. She turned back, caught the North wind between her hands, and the Serpent Ophion came out. She danced more and more to warm herself in the cold of the unborn Universe until Ophion’s lust for her grew.
Ophion coiled himself around the Goddess and they mated. Eurynome then transformed into a white dove, flew above the Seas and she laid the Universal Egg.
With Her command, Ophion coiled seven times around the Egg until it hatched, and from inside tumbled all Eurynome’s children: the Sun, the Moon, the stars, the planets, the Earth with the mountains and rivers, the trees, the herbs and all the living beings.
The couple settled at the mount Olympus until one day Ophion claimed that he was the Creator of the Universe. That angered the Goddess, who banished him in the dark caves under the Earth.
She then created the Seven Planetary Forces and assigned a Titan and a Titaness for each Force:

Theia and Hyperion for the Sun
Phoebe and Atlas for the Moon
Dione and Crius for Mars
Metis and Coeus for Mercury
Themis and Eurymedon for Jupiter
Tethys and Oceanus for Venus
Rhea and Cronus for Saturn

I thought I post this because I love it. :joy:

A most excellent creation myth!

It’s a very very old and forgotten myth, there were others that replaced it. History is written by the victors after all.

This is the kind of thing I’m after. Do you have some source material for further research? Links to some of these older forgotten myths?

My memory! These older myths you can find (either pieces or whole of them) all over the ancient literature… For example, the myth of Creation I posted here, you can find it in Homer -> Iliad, Apollonius Rhodius, Hesiud -> Theogony, Apollodorus, and Aristophanes -> The Birds. Or else…you need to know what you’re searching…

OK I might need your help then. Not that I wouldn’t want to explore the whole of the works of the great poets but I have read a good amount of it. I am trying to find associations and commonalities in the oldest versions of religions and mythologies. So where as it may take me months or even years to find an obscure clue to something you may just know it and be able to say, "hey Adam, I think I know what word you are looking for or what that symbol means etc.
Also I’ve been thinking about the message and I’ve had some revelations I will tell you in PM.

The best will always be Kevin Sorbo as Hercules and Lucy Lawless as Xena.
Hercules
Xena

On that note, I found an interesting documentary the other day. I recommend watching it for anyone interested in the Greek gods.

EDIT: How do you embed videos?

EDIT 1: Trying it

You just cut and paste the link and it does it on its own if it can.

Thanks a lot! Going to give it a try.

Interesting thread here, for any info hit me up, I am more than glad to help (Greek Mythology and entities come from where I live :wink: )

Well well… Same :wink:

What follows isn’t under the mythology of Greece, but comes from a Greek philosopher, Pythagoras.

The Fair Cup of Pythagoras

According the local tradition of Samos, the philosopher had made a cup applying the laws of Physics to drink wine in moderation. Inside the mug, a line designates how much wine one should pour. One more drop and the mug emptied all the wine from a hidden hole at the base. So the greedy, gets punished.

img_5003img_5005

It’s also been called “Cup of Law” because (aside the hydraulic) it reflects one of the basic principles of Law, that of Hubris (Insult) and Nemesis (Retribution). When the line is exceeded (Hubris), you’re not losing only what have crossed the line, but everything you had aquired previously as well (Nemesis).

With the simple application of a hydraulic principle, the philosopher Pythagoras teaches us from the depths of time to accept the excellent measure and enjoy the wine we already have in our cup, drawing maximum benefit.

Greek gods generally are archetypes of the God-Mind.

I called Poseidon once, and asked him to help me inherit his qualities and master the aspect of the tree of life he stands for…; in any way he can. His roman name Neptune he says is not a valid one, he also states) you might want to see Percy Jackson, the lightning thief (though not historically accurate in any way - you can call beings from both polarities for self-transformation, you do can inherit all of their abilities fully, unto a molecular level and even deeper…; :wink:

This is so true and a great bit to share with us. Cheers!

Where’s the love for Bellerophon?

I don’t know much about Bellerophon, but I’ll share the small knowledge I have.

The story of Bellerophon, is a story about an honest, modest and strong man who managed to get the grace of Gods, a grace which was turned to anger that led to his death, swept away from his human weaknesses.
Some say he was the son of Poseidon, among his human parents was king Glaucus of Corinth, son of Sisyphus, and Eurynome (not the Goddess) or Eurymede daughter of the king Nisus of Megara.

His original name was Ipponoos but after he killed a famous thief named Belleros when he was young, he got the name Bellerophon, which means exactly that: The killer or Belleron.

After the kill, he went to king Proetus of Tirynthe which he purges Bellerophon for the murder. Proetus wife, queen Stheneboea (or Anteia) fell in love with him, but Bellerophon honouring the hospitality of Proetus refused her. Filled with anger, she said to the king that Bellerophon tried to rape her, but due to the laws of hospitality Proetus couldn’t kill him, so he sends him to Lykia and king Iobates along with a letter in which he was explaining the situation and was asking from his father in-law to kill Bellerophon instead of him.

Iobates was very glad to have Bellerophon as a guest so he forgot about the letter and made a feast for 9 days and nights to honour him. When he opened the letter he got very angry with Bellerophon but according to the laws he couldn’t kill someone he already offered his hospitality, had ate and drink with, so he thought to send him in a suicide mission, to kill Chimera, a beast with lion’s head and body, goat’s head on her back and snake’s head as a tail, daughter of Typhon and Echidna. Many had tried to kill her, but they were burned to death from her breath.

And that’s where he got his first achievement. He couldn’t go close to Chimera, so he thought to tame Pegasus, the divine winged stallion, born from Poseidon and Medusa’s dead body. With the help of Athena which appeared in his dream and gave him a golden bridle, he manages to tame Pegasus, flies above Chimera where her flames couldn’t reach him, sending his arrows on her.

Iobates then sends him to kill Solymi a wild and warlike tribe and then Amazons, but Bellerophon was always coming back as a winner. At his last attempt, Iobates sends a group to assassinate him, but in vein. He then was convinced for Bellerophon’s divine origin, told him about the letter, offered him half of his kingdom and his daughter Philonoe for his bride. His sons and great sons become heroes and aid in the war of Troy. Wishing to take revenge from Proetus, he flies back to Tirynthe, seduces Stheneboea and takes her on his winged stallion. While flying above the seas, Stheneboea falls in the ocean and dies.

Many years later Bellerophon blinded from his arrogance, he flies with Pegasus in mount Olympus to take part in the council of Gods. That caused Zeus anger, and with his thunder makes Pegasus fall from the skies, sending Bellerophon to his death. Some say he survived the fall and the once proud hero spend the rest of his life limping, travelling alone from place to place without the love and admiration he once had from humans.

The immortal Pegasus returned to Olympus, where he belonged. He was bringing Zeus thunders and was serving Eos, the Goddess of the dawn, carrying her chariot in the skies.

If anyone is interested, I could write later or tomorrow about some Greek Daemons.