Introduction to Tibetan Buddhist Deities and Spirits

Red Dzambhala is a deity that may have originated in the Hindu pantheon as the beloved Ganesha (although Ganesha/Ganapati already makes an appearance in Tibetan Buddhism). He is said to also be a manifestation of Vajrasattva, the Buddha of purification. Chanting the mantra of Red Dzambhala can not only make one wealthy, but can also make one popular and attractive. He can be prayed to to attain power and there are also magnetizing practices. Another skill that Red Dzambhala possesses is the ability to arrange a harmonious marriage and to keep the peace within the home. It isn’t uncommon to see him in Thangkas of Kurukulla or of other Padma Family Buddhas or Boddhisattvas. Red Dzambhala can help one overcome the vices and attachments that come with wealth or the lack of it.

Mantra: OM JAMBHALA JALENDRAYE DHANAM MEDEHI HRIH DAKINI JAMBHALA SAMBHARA SVAHA

3 Likes

Ganesha/Ganapati

4 Likes

Thank you for this. I wonder if anyone heard of Nang Kwak and other Thai deities

Good stuff. Unfortunately, internet and books will not help in a tattvik understanding of these deities ie. What exactly are they. That can only be learnt under a master.

I don’t know too much about the Thai deities but I have a boon on that system that I need to finally finish reading.

1 Like

Ganesha, other wise called Ganapati, is a deity that is widely revered in Hinduism, but also in many Buddhists sects including Tibetan Buddhism and also in the Buddhism of Thailand, Japan, and Burma. His influence spread to these areas through Hindu traders that went into many parts of Asia and also through the Indian Buddhist teachers who pioneered the tradition. To the Tibetan Buddhist, Ganesha is a wealth deity and protector. In his dancing form, called Nrtta Ganapati, he is a destroyer of obstacles. Tibetan Buddhist lore says that Ganesha was converted to Buddhism by Avalokiteshvara or Guan Yin but other stories say that he himself is a manifestation of Avalokiteshvara. Although widely loved, there are older Buddhist sutras and tantras that refer to Ganesha as Vinakaya, a demon who must be propitiated to prevent misfortune.

Mantra: OM GAM GANAPATAYE SVAHA

3 Likes

Manjushri

3 Likes

Manjushri, his name meaning “Gentle Glory” in Sanskrit, is one of the eight great Boddhisattvas who were the closest disciples of the Buddha. Manjushri is also considered to be a fully enlightened Buddha himself. He is the Buddha of transcendent wisdom and holds a flaming sword that cuts through all delusion and ignorance. Many scholars of Buddhism have identified Manjushri as the oldest and most significant Bodhisattva. In some traditions of Vajrayana (esoteric Buddhism), Manjushri’s consort is none other than the deity Saraswati who is worshipped in Hinduism as well as Buddhism. Like many other deities and Boddhisattvas, Manjushri has several different wrathful and non-wrathful forms that he manifests as, including the infamous and feared Yamantaka. Many devotees to Tibetan Buddhism approach Manjushri to help make their minds sharper and to bestow wisdom upon them. Several of my Buddhist friends like to chant his mantras the night before a test, for example. Others approach him to gain a better understanding of the Buddha’s teachings.

Mantra: OM AH RA PA CAH NAH DIH

6 Likes

Medicine Buddha

5 Likes

Hi is also a patron deity of tibetan divination called ‘MO’ where you throw a cube twice, which consists of 6 syllabes that constitutes his mantra, and the results gives simple yet precise answers.

4 Likes

That’s so interesting! I didn’t know about Mo. Thank you for sharing!

Bhaisajyaguru, otherwise known as the Medicine Buddha, is a Buddha who is widely venerated across all of Mahayana Buddhism. He is a Buddha who is approached by many who are sick or unwell in hopes of healing. The earliest mention of the Medicine Buddha can be found in a sutra bearing his name from around the sixth century. It is said that he can help heal those who suffer both mentally and physically through his practice. He can also help one overcome ignorance, greed, hatred, and attachment. One of his most sought after abilities is the curing and clearing of negative karma. Medicine Buddha is associated with the Tibetan practice of making holy pills and also with the sacred stone lapis lazuli.

Mantra: TAYATA OM BHEKANDZE BEKHANDZE MAHA BHEKANDZE BHEKANDZE RANDZA SUMUNGATE SVAHA

7 Likes

Brief Medicine Buddha Healing Practice

1.) Fill a clean glass with water.

2.) Place this glass before a picture or statue of the medicine Buddha.

3.) Pray to the Medicine Buddha over the water that you be healed of whatever ailment is afflicting you.

4.) Recite the Medicine Buddha mantra 108 times over the water.

5.) Drink the water knowing that Medicine Buddha will heal you of your suffering.

6.) Repeat this practice daily until you have been healed

*Medicine Buddha practice can be performed for others and the procedure is the same. If they are not in proximity of you, you would simply meditate visualize them as glowing with blue light as you chant the mantra.

7 Likes

A beautiful 10 minute mantra played throughout part of this video, that I thought I’d share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3XnDkJIRIA&ab_channel=MantraSaludIF THIS VIDEO APPEARS IN YOUR LIFE • THE TIME HAS ARRIVED FOR YOUR WISHES TO BE FULFILLED

I have been interested in Buddhist deities for some time. You’ve dug up some rituals and descriptions, but I’m interested in your personal experience. That’s all that matters.

How can i offering to them if i dont have a statue ? Can give use their image and offering them my energy
@FraterMagni

This thread is so great I started working with Kurukulle and saw my life improve drastically. Do you have any guides for sadhanas, because I dont really find a lot of information about that…

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Bruteleenandrane! :slight_smile:

Please do make your next post your Introduction here, which we need per the forum rules and posting guidelines in the FAQ.

Can you write more?
You only used a mantra or some specific ritual?
Can you tell how fast this goddess works and what effect you have achieved?

Does anybody else work extensively with this group of deities or closely related ones? I keep seeing synchronicities and I feel like i need to get to the bottom of it