Has pestilence himself finally arrived? Serious answers only

I saw this question directed to the end times religions here before, so it is not mine originally. Do any of you believe pestilence has finally arrived on our planet earth?

I honestly don’t believe so, atleast not the supernatural pestilence and more of just the usual mundane pestilence (corona) that has been here long before this year.

3 Likes

Pestilence is only one of the four horsemen in Revelations. One of the others is War, which, with the invention of nuclear weaponry and globalism, is highly unlikely. Another is famine, which is also very unlikely… and the other one is simply death. So no, I don’t think this is the end times the bible speaks of, but I guess you could say pestilence has arrived, just as it has thousands of times before in history.

5 Likes

I assumed they go hand in hand. Once the disease ravages (pestilence) the world we fight over the supplies (war) then once we deplete them we starve (famine) then die (death). Thank you for your answer I didnt expect any replies!

Its actually originally Conquer/Conquest

3 Likes

Would make sense but it’s very unlikely that COVID-19 would cause the rest, there is still a lot of stability, even more in some countries than there were previously, and food production is still ongoing.

1 Like

I know conquest has always been highly debated on what it actually is. What do you think conquest would entail?

Not only covid19, but the rest of the disease too. Dengue, anthrax, bleeding eye fever, all of it

A “righteous” claim of land/nations/whatever kind of soil in a decent manner that includes military operations and controlled economical actions in order to force this claim.
Thats the difference to the “war” rider which would include ANY kind of messy involvements, like civil wars or fights about ressources between the population and everything else that is less pretty. (no politics, just trying to explain the difference between Conquest and War rider and why I don’t support the more new “Pestilence” approach.)

5 Likes

Well if it’s interpreted like that, then all the signs have arrived thousands of times before. It’s just war and famine that are much more uncommon than they used to be. But either way, I guess we’ll see in the future how everything turns out, eventually we will find treatment for this disease as well and hopefully work on more preventive measures to counteract another global pandemic, so I’d say it’s unlikely that Pestilence has arrived.

1 Like

It did not seem like you were interjecting politics at all do not worry (though everyone should be able to discuss every and any topic plausible maturely) thank you for the description I’ve always wondered how they differ

Thank you I’ve never thought about that prior

1 Like

In thier own time and in thier own space, I wouldn’t disagree. On a provided platform with rules for behaviour and speech, this is frequently not the case, and it’s not the case here.

Please reread the rules if you are not familiar - here is a handy link:

It’s been here since the first animal got sick and it’ll be here until the last animal dies of sickness.

It’s a metaphor, personified, and pretty encompassing. I don’t see any use in trying to narrowly confine it into just one particular human pathogen.

1 Like

Actually as the economy crashes there will be famine and there will be war. Just watch. The virus was the first step.

If we are talking about the four horsemen mentioned in the bible, pestilence being considered one of them has only been around since 1900s. Originally, the first horseman (also known as the White Rider) was symbolized as Conquest, as in what we consider “normal war” where one state defeats and occupies another (The Red Horseman on the other hand represents civil war, where brother kills brother).

If we are talking about a spirit behind all diseases, I believe it has been here for a very long time.

1 Like

Why would you assume any of the four horsemen from the, uh, Bible, are real? lmao

Leave that fairytale behind, man.

I mean to be fair this could be said about anyone who thinks this is some kind of spiritual end of the world, act of demons helping, end of the world (no matter the mythology calls it) etc. The bible mythology is no different from the "this is a wave of [insert something spiritual here] "

2 Likes

I tend to lean towards Revelations being a poetic retelling of the turmoil going on in the Roman empire with the last emperor of the Favian dynasty, granted that I am not a believer myself. The order of the horseman in particular fit pretty well with what was going on during his 15 year reign, which ended around the time Revelations was written.

But Futurism is still a pretty strong belief as revelations goes. which is what is really been spread with the whole end of days talk as far as Christianity goes. Although @anon48079295 brings up a great point with many mythologies having an end of the world event and Revelations fulfills that for Christianity.

1 Like

Every hundred years (1720; 1820; 1920; 2020) humanity has faced a new disease. What is different this time? Ways of travel available and people who can actually aford it.

The real question is why the fuck every 100 years?!

1 Like