Goetic Demons Rarely Mentioned On BALG

I did a few searches on the forum and saw these Goetic demons are rarely posted about. All of these demons in particular have less than a dozen search hits if you exclude the bulk hits mentioning all 72 demons.

President Amy
Count/President Marax
Marquis Samigina
Marquis Cimeies
Duke Aim
Marquis Decarabia
President Caim

I think one reason some of these demons are rarely mentioned is because their powers don’t seem as relevant to the modern day. However, I am sure that they all have value in the modern age.

I hereby issue a challenge to the forum which is to list here the modern versions of their powers. Other demons with seemingly obscure abilities can be included as well. I’m curious to see the outcome.

Good luck!

28 Likes

Duke Aim sounds like he could be very useful if you do not like someone. His powers include making a named individual suffer anguish and arguments at home, making a named individual prone to accidents and injury, and giving you strength to cause disruptions for your own benefit. Sounds very promising.

12 Likes

Yes. I could see him being a very important asset in baneful workings. Especially if the practitioner desired a buildup of torment.

4 Likes

Might be fun to try to work with some of the “lesser known” demons of the Goetia. Who knows, may find a diamond in the rough so to speak.

5 Likes

Yes! Which is precisely why I started this thread.

4 Likes

Here are the powers of Cimeries, 66th demon of Goetia, accompanied by the angel Menakel, taken from Demons of Magick by Gordon Winterfield.

To appear strong and charming, to command the respect of all who encounter you.

To illuminate and remove subconscious fears that weaken you.

To find lost objects.

Certainly very useful powers to the modern magician, I’d say. The second power in particular seems to have quite the vast potential. All the money or seduction magick in the world can’t help you if you’re too afraid to act, or even to ask for what you want.

22 Likes

Yes that is very true. Fear can be just as crippling as troubling circumstances.

6 Likes

I thought Aim’s name was interesting given his sigil looks like a bow and arrow. That plus tge connections with fire leads you with something like, “the inner passion and inner it takes to accomplish a goal”

Aim helps people who lack focus. This one friend of mine invoked him to work on an art project and they were crying by the end of the 8 hour session.

I can also personally confirm that he’ll temporary give you energy to complete whatever ritual you’re working on if you lack it. Plus, as one person said, he’s good for causing disputes and discord among your enemies.

8 Likes

Thank you. The anecdote about your friend is very enlightening.

2 Likes

@Anziel_Merkaba Isnt your quest binding these demons ?

3 Likes

I’m going through each of them one by one. I wasn’t really going to comment because I haven’t worked with them all to much individually.

5 Likes

Yeah man, let the guy lurk. :joy:

5 Likes

I don’t think the issue is relevancy, but the fact that there are 72 of them. That’s a pretty big number. When people start out with Goetic spirits, people will be uncertain about who to choose. They may even base their choices on the experiences of others.

But yeah, they deserve more love.

8 Likes

I would agree more, but the majority of goetic demons had over 50+ search hits here on BALG. Many practitioners here have combed through the goetia to find demons that fit their tastes, which are most of the demons described in the goetia. Only about two-dozen or so demons had under 40 hits. Heck, Marquis Decarabia commands birds. I could see practitioners not knowing how to readily apply his abilities to the issues they face on a daily basis.

5 Likes

“The Fifty-eighth Spirit is Amy, or Avnas. He is a Great President, and appeareth at first in the Form of a Flaming Fire; but after a while he putteth on the Shape of a Man. His office is to make one Wonderful Knowing in Astrology and all the Liberal Sciences. He giveth Good Familiars, and can bewray Treasure that is kept by Spirits. He governeth 36 Legions of Spirits, and his Seal is this, etc.”

Let me break down the liberal Sciences part because it’s one of the most common phrases in the demon descriptions.

In modern terms, this means things like history, philosophy, art, and social sciences. During the period in history that these grimoires were actually written, it was a more general term including the study of languages, math, and astrology.

Given that the description outright says astrology, what does this mean? Astrology is the art of making predictions about the universe. This means that Amy in particular can train you essentially any for of divination. Tarot, runes, I-ching, pendulums, whatever form. It doesn’t matter. But she can also instruct you on how to create things that harness the energy of the stars, i.e, tailsmens. Once you know how to do that you can pretty much manipulate any conceivable situation to your advantage through the power of correct timing.

By extension, working with Amy is going to enhance your spiritual perception(which I’m going to refer to as the throat chakra and third eye just to pull from a system most are familiar with). In fact, Amy knows how energy bodies work and can help you to remove blockages which would normally prevent you from learning what she has to teach you effectively. Outside of magic, this could easily be applied to understanding the intentions of others and being able to more freely express yourself.

The last part, the treasures kept by spirits, relates to the treasure of knowledge. Meaning that if a lesser spirit is being deceitful, she can help you compel them to give you the information you’re looking for. Additionally, if you work outside of demonolatry and want to invoke beings of other pantheons using the sigil method, Amy is who would use to channel said sigil as well as creating the invocation chant.

Overall, She seems like more of a spirit you’d work with if you want to enhance your occult skills. At least, that’s the extent to which I’ve worked with her. I might need to revisit this spirit later on.

17 Likes

Absolutely wonderful information! Amazing breakdown and description.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I did for my first evocations. I based myself off other’s experiences and recounts as I needed to trust 200% what I was doing. I’m more than willing now to call upon the lesser known, actually I’ll do one next week.

3 Likes

Alfred Hitchcock The Birds. You could cause mass hysteria or since birds are everywhere use them as ears and eyes to gather info or secrets both day and night and send messages.

Or, since some items like herbs/plant matter, stones, animals, etc are in hard for humans to access areas the birds can be gophers.

4 Likes

President Morax would be useful for herbalists, witchcraft and the poison path. Also, possible knowledge of how to properly use stone/gems magically

8 Likes

I love the messenger idea! You also just gave me an idea: If the practitioner knows their target is superstitious, then they could have them followed by crows, ravens, and blackbirds, etc.

6 Likes