Can The Vodou Loas overpower The Gate Keepers?

I read that the Loas are extremely powerful, especially the Petro Loa and that they reside on a plane of existence much closer to ours in comparison to other spirits. So this a hypothetical scenario, let’s say someone inadvertently angers a Vodou practitioner, and he sends a Petro Loa to attack and destroy the perceived offender, can the person attacked successfully protect themselves, neutralize the Loa spirit attacks, and send a devastating counterattack to the original sender with the help of The Gatekeepers?

The most common answer/solution I’ve read on here to this type of situation is to try to make peace with the Loa by giving an offering and what not, but that makes me wonder… is it because there’s no other way and the Loas are indeed the most powerful entities and the rest of magicians from other currents should just submit to and accept the apparent indisputable power of the Loa? I also feel uncomfortable with the idea of this approach being the only option as I find it very supplicant and “turn the other cheek” and overall just very right hand path like, you-are-at-the-merci-of-God kind of thing. As a follower of the left hand path I think most of us want to know that we have options, including the option to fight fire with fire and come out on top.

That’s not to say that if I was in a situation like that I’d immediately retaliate, in fact I’m sure I’d first try to make peace with the entity attacking me. But let’s say the attacks don’t cease, can I rely on the help of beings like Abaddon, Azazel, and Lucifer to successfully overpower the Loas, stop the attacks and send an even more powerful attack to the original sender and completely destroy them?

Now the most irritating, noob question: Who are more powerful (in terms of protection and baneful attacks), The Loas or The Gate Keepers?

Azazel is on good terms with the Loa but the gatekeepers is a fairly new pathworking with demons and the Loa are Ancient African Gods that have spread throughout the world (albeit due to slavery and are present in africa, americas, spanish countries, and so forth) so their influence has grown significantly through many channels and means. So in my opinion the Loa very much outweigh the gatekeepers and their concept. I won’t say more powerful as that very may depend on the individual connection and their willingness to help.

7 Likes

As a guy who ask trusty friends in forum a and pms, loas, areore powerful tat demons, yes, but if u search and look around its another sistem more i gesss stronger and powerful. But if want play their game is another sistems to play them similar pwtros, and loas but based in u resources santeria palo camble, etc.

1 Like

Nah. The religious practitioners that worship the Loa kinda have to say that, It comes with the territory, same as xtians claiming their rogue demon pretending to be a god and demanding all others are ignored is all powerful as well.

The relative strength is more about the humans playing the games and their will and spiritual connection.

Some loa are actually dead humans, what they were before being human was probably pretty cute too, but the fact that the Loa are earthbound, that they’ve limited themselves to what i personally see as a lesser form of existence compared with say, deities, automatically disqualifies them as being enlightened enough or spiritual enough to effectively match a higher being. It’s like worshiping djinn or fae, to an extent.

IMO most of their power they have comes directly from their millions of human worshippers feeding it to them, or they’d be nothing.

Generally speaking, I take the view that it’s ideal to counter a curse using the same current it was cast in. But at the end of the day your Will, energy and intention matters the most.

3 Likes

You would be better off talking to the Loa, asking them to see the truth of your situation, and then asking them to help you, to cease harming/working against you. I did, and it worked really well.

So if the Loas outweight the Gate Keepers and their concept, who or what outweights the Loas in your opinion? Now you got me curious @_@

I mean the gatekeepers are a fairly new-ish concept in this instance, they are demons of the infernal formed into a group for a specific pathworking.

The Loa are ancient Gods who in some african faiths when one of their people die they go off to ‘live’ with the Loa Gods, The Loa predate the Goetia.

It’s not exactly a who outweighs who over who else, the gatekeepers are few in number and often change based on the individual’s desire of who they want the gatekeepers to be while the Loa are an entire pantheon of Gods.

2 Likes

That does make sense that the spirit of a dead human is no match for a deity. Not sure of all Loas consist of earthbound human souls, a user just said they are ancient gods that predate the goetia.

I was under the impression that the Gate Keepers protected EA Koetting from the Loas when or after he exposed some secrets of Haitain Vodou, as that seems to be forbidden.

Short answer is, yes, they can.

However, this question is a very common one and stems from the playground idea of “my god is better than your god.”

Many magicians who work in the Western currents are unable to stop the LWA when they are sent against them. The notion that they are powerless without their worshippers is pure entitled BS. Even EA’s massive amount of spiritual protection almost fell to Exu until he made amends for his mistake, as detailed in his book Baneful Magick.

From what I understand, it was the LWA themselves that protected EA from the ire of other Voudon practitioners, not the Gatekeepers.

9 Likes

No all Loa are not earthbound humans, it’s basically they believed they were to go off and reside with the actual Loa when they die, it’s very similar to people who believe if they die they go live with their Gods.

2 Likes

Thanks for the clear and direct answer. And yes, I am aware that these type of questions make experienced practicioners or users on this forum cringe and roll their eyes because they view the line of thinking behind these types of questions as immature and ego driven. But hey I am a noob and feel no shame in that. Just like I am of the opinion of letting a kid be a kid, I also believe in letting a noob be a noob or let someone make mistakes and look silly. xD

3 Likes

One thing to keep in mind is that in the spiritual planes, power is very relative. A demon king is very powerful in his sphere, as is an archangel, but there are greater beings in the vast wilds of the multiverse that could eat them without breaking a sweat. Even our gods aren’t the top of the heap.

7 Likes

@Asmodeus i have dabbled into different traditions including the voodoo, and according to my experience lwas are most powerful entities i have ever come across. But you can dismiss that because that is not the bigger case, but what i am 100% sure of, voodoo and western system of magic (goetia, gatekeepers etc) are totally different type of systems. They may have some similarity but in huge contexts they differ a lot .

My genuine advice to you, never approach voodoo spirits with the ideas from western system of magic i recently did that unknowingly thanks God i was dealing with papa legba and i have some long term relationship with him plus the matter i presented was also heavy so he showed me how to start working with the lwas properly but otherwise i dont know what would have happened.

And to say which is powerful over which that is question to be answered with experience, but just take a look vodun (african practice) gave birth to several traditions like voodoo (the famous haiti magic practice) , quimbanda, santeria and most of afro Caribbean magic practice so we are talking about mother of different traditons but still yet an ancient practice of magic, but all in all experience will give you the genuine answer.

thats not true, you dont need to worship the loas to see their powers or give them credits. Most of the people who say that are the ones who saw the true powers of the lwas. The funny thing i saw when working on any tradition is that, many people may work on the same path as you, but very few they may get in contact with the true power of these deities.

this i agree, but till a dead human is elevated to the status of the lwa, like new orleans voodoo raised marie levaue and DR. Snake it means first this person has done alot while they were alive but still even after their death his spirit has helped alot of other people. Any dead human who was raised to the status of the lwa you cant compare it with a lesser deity because its beyond that.

but also there is ghuedes these are spirits of the dead that work with houngan , and this is the independent branch of practice

though lwas are easier to reach them because they are here with us, they are not limited to anything. they are power is limitless to any spiritual advancement you may seek. voodoo is complete in its spirituality few things that they were adapted was to make an extra room for its practices. a good example of this is the use of veves, which the haitians adopted from the french system (western system of using sigils) but yet there are plenty of lwas i personally know they dont have veves and when you call them (following voodoo instructions ) you will get genuine contact directly to them, there is nothing will pose like it. unless you are not yet developed on your practice.

4 Likes

When I touched down on the loa mainly due to looking into my ancestry and then meeting Papa Legba in his realm then for about a week I kept getting visits from shadow people and deceased spirits from the Loa, it was pretty intense as they were almost tangible (though they weren’t) and they kept coming with a really cold breeze.

Some even followed me from my house to my cousin’s when I went to stay the night, it was late at night and my cousin was asleep and I was laying on the couch pretty much vibing and they showed up I put the blankets over my head because it scared the hell out of me for a moment but then I was like what the hell lol.

4 Likes

this is very true for voodoo spirits

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: you made me remember something that happened in past few days, just like you i started to get in contact with my ancestors, but i worked with baron samedi and then i called him for a personal matter few days later he appeared on my sleep paralysis (that situation when you cant move even a finger but yet you see everything in a room) but he appeared with a terrifying, really really terrifying spirit of the dead girl, :joy: :joy: :joy: trust me it took me some time to go back to sleep again when i managed to wake up

2 Likes

I briefly thought about this once. Makes me wonder if no matter how many defenses someone has in place including having multiple protective entities such as Demons, if the Loa can still attack and break through without breaking a sweat…

2 Likes

Hiya OP! The answer to your question depends entirely on what consciousnesses are operating the identities of Loa or gatekeeper. Since the energetic conditions to become a gatekeeper are much looser than those of a Loa, there is more variability in the scope of powers belonging to an individual or collective of gatekeepers. On the other hand, a condition for a being to have a Loa identity is a certain closeness to physical reality that isn’t a necessary factor of a gatekeeper’s composition.

On a general level, a Loa would outperform a gatekeeper, but since the traits necessary in order to have an identity as one of the gatekeeper are so open, it is possible for a gatekeeper to be more powerful than a Loa.

In other words, it’s a toss up, but usually goes in the Loa’s favor! :slight_smile:

1 Like

African magic is just extremely powerful

Lol very funny
So you are trying to say the gatekeepers are powerful than the loas right?
That’s your opinion :joy:

Who ever tells you that the loas were living as human before is a lie.
They are powerful African entities that nobody can fuck with them.
Even E.A confirmed that these loas can never be banished when you summon them but until they want to leave by themselves.