Ask and it shall be given to you

I was thinking about this quote from the Bible:

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus says that whoever asks receives, whoever seeks finds, and whoever knocks will find an open door.

But who to ask? Many christians think that you must ask Jesus himself, pray for your desire and need.
Bit it is “Ask”, not “Pray”. And in the texts it is not mentioned who to ask and how to ask.

Could this possibly mean that you should ask the spirits (including angels and demons) who operate under the God’s will? And that their purpose is to give you what you asked for?

I am not a Christian, I don’t like religions but I think that the Bible is full of magick and explanations for all around us, but later the Christians started to interpret it to fit their political needs.

Anyway, this is just a thought and I thought I could share it with you.

Ask and it shall be given to you…

5 Likes

I imagine that back in those times people wanted their ex back

4 Likes

Well, well, I know of a real case where a person got the same looking woman as his ex, after calling different deities for reconciliation which was impossible.
He didn’t know who the woman was, but she started flirting with him, and she was a physical copy of his ex gf.

So, after all, when it is impossible even for the spirits to give someone back, they find a way to bring someone new who “in their conceptions” could fullfill the person’s will.

3 Likes

There is a quote by Aleister Crowley about that, let me find it. Here it is, from “Magick”:

“And a Will, however single and however constant, may still be of no particular use, because the circumstances which oppose it may be altogether too strong, or because it is for some reason unable to get into touch with them. It is useless to wish for the moon. If one does so, one must consider by what means that Will may be made effective”.

5 Likes

Very true statement, thanks for sharing it!

There was a tale from the Bible too, that tells about a family destroyed by God, he got angered to them, and killed the wife and the son of this person.
Later, God decided to give them back to him, but it was impossible (!), and he just gave him a new wife and a new child.
So this was totally fair in God’s conceptions, and the person became his loyal servant.

The idea of the “replacement” is somehow fundamental.
But more or less, you shall get what you wanted.
In one form or another.

3 Likes

I must say that that is true in my experience, but it requieres patience and an open mind

2 Likes

I personally take this as a couched way of saying that the state of mind of the individual manifests their reality. E.g. if your mind is geared to seek negatives in every situation, or to expect the worst, or to be constantly troubled with worry and anxiety about outcomes, then you will view the world through that paradigm, and every bad thing that occurs will reinforce your belief.

To me it’s Bible-speak for the Law of Attraction in action.

2 Likes

This reminds me of the following quote:

“Evil benefits from total chaos or from total order. Good benefits from the balance between both. In total order, there is no growth. In total chaos everyone and everything is at constant risk. In the end you will understand, that in its essence, evil is madness”.

“Ask and it shall be given to you” seems flawed to me.
It creates a state of dependency and expectancy.

Both are extremely dangerous states of perception in my opinion.

A state of Dependency robs you of the mindset, attitude and courage that you can achieve anything on your own and creates a belief that you are always at the mercy of a higher force.

When Expectancy occurs as a natural consequence of Dependency, it gives the false belief that the higher force has the best intention for you. You expect that the deity you pray to (and depend on) will give you what you want. And when it doesn’t give you what you want, you just calm yourself saying that it has rather given you what you need!

I speak from experience, both dependency and expectancy should not be related to a force outside of your self, otherwise your life may be ruined.
This is one of the many ways, religion manipulates the masses and keeps them obedient and humble.

3 Likes

This. Do not ask simply to beg for reprieve or reward, thereby creating the feeling of lack, but live as if it is already yours. Seek the outcome by looking for the signs that affirm your outcome, knowing it is already done. “Knock on the door” with purpose, already understanding what is on the other side, and it shall be yours.

2 Likes

Well said @Veil.
I remember a quote from John Gielgud - “Before you can do something, you must first BE something”, I.e. you must first have the attitude, the mindset as if what you are after has already manifested. Then the universe is supposed to draw the circumstances that will reflect and suit your new mindset.
Of course it is easier said than done.

2 Likes

Reminds me of: “Do not tell God how big the storm is. Tell the storm how big your God is.”

Of course in this case, God is none other than myself, ourself, our own ability to manifest reality. Don’t ask, beg, plead, or anything that implies lack. Instead know it is too late, the outcome is already decided.

1 Like

I must disagree. At the moment I am neither LHP nor RHP.
To follow and believe in this statement “Ask and it shall be given to you” wether it is based on religious expectancy or a pure Universal concept is wrong.
It means that the person depends on the entity they ask this favour from and it means the person expects to receive it if the entity is willing to give.

This is very disempowering and even dangerous. It puts you in the mindset that the entity you ‘pray to’ has your best interest at heart. This can lead you to make a wrong choice in life, simply because you believe there is ‘someone up there’ who cares about your life and well-being and wouldn’t put you in risk and wouldn’t do anything that can turn your life into misery.

1 Like

The quote is from the Bible and if I’m not wrong, I believe it is Jesus who said this?
This implies that if the 'believer’s asks for something, they will be given by God/Jesus

I understand that the two quotes:
'Ask and it shall be given to you’

'Before you can do something, you must first be something’

share common principles, but the first one makes you dependant on an entity - you ask and receive.
The second quote means that you are not asking for anything, because you already have it. YOU have the power… once you change your frequency, the universe will attract circumstances, which resonate to your new vibration. Because you are part of the source, you are not given anything, you ARE anything and everything.

I understand what you mean, but that is not how I understand the quote itself.
I may be over thinking it, something which I do for everything, all the time.

However the word ‘Ask’ in any context (religious or not), implies praying to/asking from someone else, whereas the word ‘be’, means that you have no one to rely on, but yourself.
Apart from the different interpretations we seem to agree on the general approach of how this works. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it’s more like, if you don’t ask questions you will never arrive at an answer.
I.e., keep asking questions all the time, keep learning and growing.

Bear in mind, the spirit that answers is often yourself.

1 Like

Coming back to this thread to add that I’m currently reading through Neville Goddard’s The Law and The Promise, and came across this on p31:

Imagining the wish fulfilled is the seeking that finds, the asking that receives, the knocking to which is opened.

:open_mouth:

An electronic copy of the book can be found here, free, if anyone is interested: https://www.law-of-attraction-haven.com/support-files/the-law-and-the-promise-neville-goddard.pdf

3 Likes