Are beliefs a natural shield?

Im wondering this for some time now. Some people mention how important it is to shield and protect yourself, others (like JS Garrett for example) claim to never shield and not notice any adverse effects. I myself am pretty sure that the one occultist I came across irl tried to curse me after I ended contact with him (he was just that type of person to curse people) and nothing ever came of it.
You see, I do have this very strong belief that it’s very hard to impossible to curse someone if they havent done anything wrong. Whether thats actually the case or not isnt what Im trying to ask here, rather my question would be: can a strong held belief (like the one I just mentioned) be a form of protection?

Yes. You control your energy with your mind. How you et your mind to do that is up to you. In the end whether you us your mind to decide you have a shield and that’s why, or skip the middle man and simply be totally clear that you can’t be hurt and don’t need a shield, is pretty much the same in the end.

I would say physics plays a part, but you can effect your body and physic with your mind. Is it enough to only believe an xray machine makes no DNA changes? A little, but probably not quite enough in all cases, not one must pay attention not just assume. Is it enough to only believe a mage cant curse you, which is much more subtle with way lower energy levels, yes.

It also works the other way: you can curse yourself just by being afraid that someone else cursed you even when they didn’t.

4 Likes

I had the hunch that thats the case because it made logical sense to me. However its very reassuring to have someone more experienced confirm this, so thank you.

I guess, by extension, having moral and ethical discourse would then be my form of shielding, haha.
Also, the cursing oneself part makes sense. I had this experience where I was shown an Ouroboros like serpent that devoured itself, but instead of the ‘infinity’ interpretation that is usually attached to the Ouroboros, the focus was more on the self devouring/self hurting aspect of what I saw. I came to realize that I was still hurting because of a wrong I did back when I was a child. Im pretty sure I had actually cursed myself back then by doing that.
So yea, makes sense.

Yes. as another example, malignant narcissists who tend to shift blame a lot to others (it’s never their fault and they don’t 2nd guess themselves) are notoriously difficult to affect. Not trying to call you that of course, but that absolute refusal to accept incoming negativity is very helpful. A dollop of that but maybe not to the point of being malignant to relationships is very healthy. Not enough self love (aka narcissism) just makes one a doormat blown like a leaf in the wind of other people’s energy.

That sounds very reasonable. It’s hard to let things like that go completely, but it’s good to own it without punishing yourself for it.

Personally, I would say no. In his book Baneful Magick, EA Koetting talks about successfully cursing Christians who believe themselves to be shielded by the “Armour of God.” If their fervent belief doesn’t protect them, why would such beliefs protect a magician?

Edit to add: Belief and intent are a big thing in magick, but they are not the be-all and end-all. In his books The Eements of Spellcraft and Consorting with Spirits, Jason Miller points out that sometimes what you believe doesn’t matter at all. If you believe you are drawing the invoking pentagram of Jupiter while performing the Lesser Invoking Ritual of the Pentagram but are actually drawing the pentagram of Saturn, it is the energies of Saturn you will get, even if you believed you were invoking Jupiter.

1 Like

Funnily enough I thought for a second if I shouls include Christians as an example but decided against it.
I dont have experience in the matter but Id say there are Christians and there are Christians. And I actually believe that the more fervent they are, the less they actually believe in it (not necessarily applying to all but probably most). I think lots of Christians use “extra faith” as a coping mechanism to never have to look at the possibility that God might not exist.
So following that theory it would make sense why he had no problems attacking those kind of people.

There are limits to how far belief, also known as “faith” to the religious, can take you. I think it is the height of arrogance to think you are untouchable simply because you believe you are. There are forces out there that wouldn’t give a rat’s ass if you believe they can’t harm you or not and will end your existence without breaking a sweat.

Like Jason Miller’s HGA said to him when he told it he was not going to do the required binding of the demons because he didn’t believe in the dichotomy of angels and demons, “It’s not about what you believe, Jason. if you don’t do this, your life is going to go to shit.”

Oh I totally agree in that you can take it too far. Im not trying to make the point that “as long as I think Im fine I can do whatever I want”. Im convinced that arrogance can get the better of oneself.

Interesting point. Are you saying they are hard to affect with curses? Or just in like a mundane discussion?

Very true. Even though its grip lessened on me since that experience its still with me.
Idk why but this brings up thoughts of flagellation. I do repent what I did but there is no way of making amends to the person. So Im kinda stuck with that rest guilt.

With curses, or magick in general. And this is purely anecdotal of course. Maybe people who have found no difference with people high up on the narcs spectrum will post if they had success, but we tend not to hear from them and we do hear from people looking for strategies that will work.

Or maybe it’s just because they piss people off so much and it’s such a well known behaviour to attribute to why, that people who fit this label generally attract magickal attack and the magick just happens to not work at the normal background rate, but, we look for cause and effect and find correlation. It’s hard to say.

So we have a posts like these:

There’s a point where it comes down to a battle of wills, sometimes. And I think knowing you’re under attack helps one to resist significantly. You can consciously target and fight that energy, and deny it if you know it’s there, instead of accepting whatever’s happening as bad luck or a passing cold or something.

But naturally putting out energy that you’re immune, immortal, bulletproof, blameless, and god’s gift to everything knowing full well you’ll be finding a scapegoat to take your flak if need be, surely helps. It’s in the energetics around you at that rate.

1 Like

The one thing that does come to mind is that people generally seem to forget that narcissists put up this facade because the core is so vulnerable.
Maybe that could be an attack vector?
Instead of trying to break through a several meter thick concrete wall, just dig a tunnel beneath it and target the inner insecurities.

As far as I know, while extreme narc tendencies are definitely designed to be protective, depending on the person they fully believe their inner story and will never admit weakness. Other people are the stupid and weak ones.

There are so called insecure/covert/shy narcissists as well, but the type that backstab their way to CEO/Dr/lawyer/politician will have plenty of fuel to think a lot of themselves and tend not to admit weakness even internally and exaggerate thier wins.

It’s probably the way in, and then ideally taken on a case by case basis.

Yea there are probably those who have repressed their feeling of inadequacy so much that they actually believe their own grandiosity. But just because they believe it, doesnt mean it isnt there. Maybe thats a good example for what @DarkestKnight said:

Also, contrary to popular belief people with NPD actually suffer tremendously and in most cases their pride wont allow them to acknowledge that and seek help. So if you wanted to be particularly nasty it might even be a good idea to strengthen their narcissism.
On the other hand if you’d curse them to see their condition clearly its bound to be a hard experience for them and also hopefully would help them change their ways and thus save some potential future victims.

1 Like