"Yoga and magick are lovers" ~ Crowley

In other words,according to Crowley,you can’t really do magick if you’re not working on yoga.

I don’t see that that’s what that means. I agree that they are mutually beneficial, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do one without the other.

It’s more like, if you develop one you automatically develop the other as well. Western systems might call elements recognizable in yoga s different thing also, such as “shadow work”.

I also take his word “yoga” to be more like “energy working” inherent in the idea “know thyself”. If you understand your own energy intimately, you will be able to balance and control it, and that is instrumental in using magick.

Obviously not all mages do yoga and yet they still achieve results, so if taken too literally this is evidently incorrect. Do not forget that western magick was developed by medieval monks centuries before yoga was introduced to the west only 100 years ago.

4 Likes

Not what I get from the quote.
Only that magick and yoga go really well together.

Well, Raj Yoga, Qigong, Buddhist Dhyana, Tantra, Vodu, Kabbalah, Sufism, and Freemasonry are parallels to each other. So Crowley had a point i guess - if you view it a certain way.

1 Like