Wow I already miss old forums

Thank you Mr. Timothy :slight_smile:

I seem to be able to change my nameā€¦ But not my username?

PM/tell me what you want it changed to and Iā€™ll see what I can do. :slight_smile:

Iā€™d like mine changed to black coyote please and shanks.

Itā€™s warning me, ā€œIf you change your username, all prior quotes of your posts and @name mentions will be broken. Are you absolutely sure you want to?ā€

You good with that? Those are probably old links but it might matter.

I want Night Wizard without an underscoreā€¦ Either get rid of underscore, or just make it one word like ā€œNightWizardā€ please :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I am ok with this, thank you very much

Okay bear with me, need to test some things. :slight_smile:

It canā€™t do spaces, either underscore or BlackCoyote, and same goes for you Night_Wizard.

The non-paged threads is sort of inconvenient for phone browsers. Especially in longer threads where there are 100+ replies.

Scroll, waitā€¦ scroll more, wait moreā€¦ scroll more, wait even moreā€¦ ._.

You should see a slide bar at the side, to get to the last post use that, but if itā€™s loading slow as you read the topics I think that just happens, we have horrible internet speed here and the same occurs on a lot of pages.

Thanks for the bit of direction. You can jump to the last forum post but tapping on the post count bar at the bottom of the thread. That is actually pretty handy!

1 Like

Seriously folks, most of what Iā€™m hearing by PM & e-mail as problems will be solved either with time or by going to https://try.discourse.org/ and having a play in their sandbox. :slight_smile:

That side bar basically works LIKE pagination, in that you can go to any number up or down the bar, and start reading.

Slide it (without releasing) and it will walk you up all the posts by number.

Discourse always remembers your last position in every topic you enter. There is nothing to do here, it is automatic. When you re-enter the topic you will be placed at the last thing you read.

As for overall topic progress, look on the bottom right of the topic for the topic progress bar. It is bright green (blue on this forum ~ Eva) and updates in real time as you scroll.

By default Discourse begins tracking topics when:

you reply to the topic
you spend 4+ minutes reading the topic
you started the topic in the first place

To track every topic you enter (most users donā€™t want this, so it is off by default) enter your preferences and change ā€œautomatically track topics you enterā€ to ā€œalwaysā€.

You may also want to change the definition of ā€œnewā€ there, which defaults to ā€œtopics created in the last 2 daysā€

Source

Honestly, I like it much better when each page of a thread is on its own page. I know itā€™s possible to access a specific page via the URL, but scrolling up and down, even slowly, makes users skip quite some postsā€¦ There should be an option allowing us to access pages and navigate through them the old way.

Also, I do NOT like it that this forum is now made public. Not that it was so private before (anybody could just sign up for an account and read posts), but now, itā€™s too public (especially w/ the ongoing personal and group workings we discuss here).

Itā€™s much better and wiser to have people sign up for an account before they have any look at the posts. Itā€™s just too public now.

I donā€™t know if heā€™s still round - @Timothy is the forum crawled by search engine robots, such that if I make a post about demonic orgies, people searching that will find the post - or, is it visible to unregistered people, but not to search engines?

That makes a difference to how essentially ā€œprivateā€ it is with regards to random people finding something through a search enquiry.

If you click the grey icons (chain for link, pen for edit etc) - the three dots, youā€™ll see an option to bookmark which I think bookmarks the thread at that post so you can come back to it later, even if ytou cleared cookies or are on a different machine/tablet.

I ran out of likes! I was just enjoying the new forum format, discovering all sorts of stories and occult wisdom ā€¦ then BAM, I ran out of likes! Itā€™s like 50 or something. On an average day I would ā€œlikeā€ perhaps a dozen comments, but on a special day like today with the new forum, I went nuts. Is there a rationale for limiting likes? Canā€™t really help enjoying reading so many wonderful comments and posts. (@Timothy)

1 Like

^ Thatā€™s the interface you get when you click Categories - very similar to the old one, you can then click the bit you like and ognore the sections that leave you cold, the same thing of new posts ā€œrising to the topā€ happened on the old forum, except it was paginated.

We definitely need more ā€œlikesā€ IMO, more hearts for the devourer! :o)

And when you reach the bottom of a thread, the forum turns up some related stuff automatically, I always said the archives were solid gold for ideas, and Iā€™m SO glad they didnā€™t get locked down into read-only in an archived forum, which is what a great many admins would do to save the effort of transferring them to different software.

Aside from PMs, I donā€™t think we lost a single thing in the move, I canā€™t even say the same when I change to a new desktop PC and thatā€™s a FRACTION of the data! Sorry to gush but this is pretty unusual, and very coolā€¦

3 Likes

I increased like limit per day to 500. :relieved:

6 Likes

Thanks @Timothy and @Lady_Eva. This forum technology makes it obvious that the BALG forum is a treasure trove.

2 Likes

Images & stuff - some of you have noticed that a handful of old threads with images in are displaying badly, because the old software re-sized them, and this software doesnā€™t understand that: within reason, if you have posts with images and are not able, yourself, using the pen icon, to edit them and make them look nice, get the link for those specific posts and PM them to me. :slight_smile:

I canā€™t promise great speed on fixing things if something higher priority comes up, but Iā€™ve mended some of my own and those of another member and it may be that members canā€™t edit after a certain point, whereas I can.