Wow I already miss old forums

Yea haha it said for the first day so hopefully over time it’ll say fuck it

Oh I see, but I never use a computer. I’m always on my phone so I don’t think this is possible for me :slightly_frowning_face:

Ah. Got it.

Hi folks, I think old PMs are gone, sorry, maybe Timothy will be on later and confirm. I downloaded a bunch of mine but didn’t get them all.

This forum software protects us all from the old scammers we used to occasionally get, who’d join and post maybe 35, 40 or more messages in short order trying to bump their post count and look like established members, which never exactly worked but fools will be fools.

It’s annoying for real members on here trying to continue ongoing conversations but it WILL pass, it’s just a feature of what the software "thinks"are new members and I should be able to sort it if it’s causing you problems. My e-mail is [email protected] if you can’t PM for some reason.

Changing the skin of the forum would be nice, and yes, HTTP also bothers me, my “HTTPS Everywhere” browser add-on doesn’t fix it obviously, that’s again an admin decision to make. :slight_smile:

I’m limited as to what I can do right now, but these things will help : use Category view (top menu), it makes everything look a lot more familiar while you find your way round, and afaik EVERYTHING is here (except PMs), last night I fixed all of one member’s threads where the old forum had resized images and this one wasn’t recognising the old tags, so if anyone hits an old post you worked hard on that looks like crap, PM me.

I want to help as much as possible, and minor things like that, I CAN do. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It appears we can also like pms

At least this way, people won’t be able to make
shit up about us! I;ve seriously heard some crazy shit about the kinds
of things that we were likely to be discussing…

And we might get quality new members who are now able to see the forum before they join, and realise how fab we all are.

I actually would prefer if this forum was private and only visible to registered members.
For what it’s worth I think Timothy should change the forum permissions so only registered members have access.
That also helps with encouraging people to post on the forum. You will have a lot more Guests that never bother to signup.

I’ll leave it to Timothy if he wants to address this, he shared his thoughts with me but I can’t speak for him, and wouldn’t feel comfortable trying to. :slight_smile:

The PM system on here, as I currently understand it, differs somewhat from other forum software in that it operates more as a “hidden thread” (hidden from other members) to which you can invite individual members, and which exists within the forum’s main architecture rather than being a kind of internal secondary system (no I’m no software expert, and I’m probably using the wrong terminology, this is my current understanding and information exists online for people who want to learn from experts - the software’s creator Jeff Atwood himself has made many posts regarding this. I’m on a learning curve regarding this as much as anyone, though I have used this software on other forums as a member).

There’s also a facility to form small groups of people to work on projects in small groups in relative privacy, though we ask that you remain within the Forum Rules when using messages on this site. :slight_smile:

If you want to do this, you may need special access - PM me with questions.

Just as the old forum (with all its quirks!) needed an FAQ/user guide, I’m trying to put something together for the benefit of members, should be in the next few days.

Also, I’m currently updating some of the old pinned threads - this will sometimes result in them being bumped without new posts being added, I’m trying to do it while the forum’s quieter and I can’t see a way to prevent some bumps happening when I edit things to repair links or update information, so apologies for the - erm, dry bumping! :stuck_out_tongue: - it’s a one-time only thing and I just want to make sure all the info & links are actually up-to-date & working.

2 Likes

Well…now I can say that I “heart” comments.

1 Like

Yuck. Maybe I’ll get used to it though.

The whole publicly viewable thing sucks. Better for BALG marketing I guess.

At least there’s a chaos magick forum now for us non theistic types.

I suppose that I could get used to this new format. But if possible, is there an option to get back to the old one?

In short, no, but it will help if you remember that Category(menu at the top) arranges things like the old forum, and Latest is like when you’d click on “New Topic” at the top of the page on the old forum, to show what was new since you last loogged in.

There were many, many things about the old software that were less than ideal, this has all the same functions (see my post above about using the slide bar in place of pagination) and it has FUNCTIONAL, actually-working, e-mail alerts!

If you recall, there’d be a new thread every few months about PM alerts etc not working on the old forum, nor could you subscibe to things for notifications, this has everything you could need and more - yes, it does “feel” very different, less monolithic and more slippery, but, the functions… :heart:

Private group messages, extensive amounts of stuff can be loaded into your profiles, drag-and-drop images and videos instead of hand-coding the tags, a WYSIWYG editor for formatting posts, I promise if you give it a few minutes, maybe play around at https://try.discourse.org/ you are going to freakin’ LOVE IT, it does everything the old one could and a million times more! :slight_smile:

I’ll be doing a guide on it all soon, bear with me, meanwehile remember, if you’re lost, Category view makes it all suddenly click into place.

2 Likes

Despite of the fact that I generally believe all change to be evil, I’m kinda getting used to the new format and am beginning to see some if its merits. Just a quick question: How about making an app?

1 Like

I’ll add that to the list of requests, I sent the http/.https + darker skin request to Timothy for his consideration already. :slight_smile:

I’m just bumping this so newer returness can see it, plenty of good advice.

And guys, while edit it locked down on older posts,. did you know you can post-edit PMs once sent? They’re like threads, handled within the forum AS threads in fact (as stated above) so you have an edit ability, and if you make a typo on an important reply (something that has often afflicted me!) you can edit it shortly afterwards, and the reader doesn’t even have to refresh to see it, the error will vanish before their very eyes! :slight_smile:

As promised, putting together a guide (there are many technical sites discussing this software) and I’ll try to find out what the time limit is on edits, by research/experimentation, also, if anyone on here wishes to PM and can’t, or wishes to set up a group PM and can’t, contact me - I can set all that up for you.

ALL the e-mail alerts that were broken on the old system work perfectly on here btw.

I missed the old forum at first, but I’ve grown to really like this new layout.

2 Likes

Ok, thank you. I was about to ask about a darker skin for the forum.

1 Like

Oh for fuck’s sake you’ve got to scroll down forever and a day to get to the latest posts in threads that are several years old with several hundred posts unless I’m missing the trick here (which, of course, is possible especially considering that I am alcoholically disabled :laughing:) Otherwise…THPPPP!!!

There is a jump to. You can jump to whatever post you want they are numbered like this said 72/73 at the bottom if you click on it it will let you jump

1 Like

Thanks Arianna! You’re a sweetheart for old luddites like me!

3 Likes

Awe…shucks!! :blush:

1 Like

Honestly, Im loving the overhaul. Things look and work better for me. It just takes a little time adjusting to it

1 Like