Why Is The Sigil For Lucifer The Same As Satan?

This is a question that comes up quite often on here, and I hope this thread, which I’ve pinned for now, will be a good place to discuss the topic - and share sigils, opinions, and experiences working with them insofar as they relate to the two spirits seemingly sharing one seal.

What this is about, is that if you search online for “Sigil of Satan” you’ll probably find you get the same result as for “Sigil of Lucifer” – this symbol, in various forms:

To further add to the confusion, some magicians state that they’re different masks, aspects, or personalities of the same being (or force, or current, or archetype) and other people insist they’re distinct and completely separate beings.

This thread isn’t here to try and offer a definitive answer, but to acknowledge that the issue exists (so that new magicians know they’re not somehow looking in the wrong places for sigils!) and also to open up a conversation about it.

Perhaps people who have an experience with these spirits, whether as distinctive and separate, or aspects of the same, could comment below with their experiences, and we could discover any common ground, or at least have a good overview of the complexity of the issue?

Also, if anyone has happened across the sigils above from another source, a grimoire or other reference that pre-dates JoS, please share that – or any similar information on this, on the history or prior use of either, including alternate sigils you have personally used, with success for either or both beings.

(Quick reminder to please keep things civil if meeting with a different viewpoint, this thread is for sharing and a “peer testing” kind of thing to share findings, and not about who has the best put-downs - there’s the entire rest of the internet for that kind of thing!)

Thank you! :slight_smile:

36 Likes

I don’t work that much with either Lucifer or Satan right now, but it would be useful to add into this thread.

I’ll quickly share my experiences as a timeline, leaving out excess ramblings:

● met Lucifer via E.A.'s video Evocation Of Lucifer - Live Ritual which had imagery in it that’d I’d seen in a dream at least 5 months prior to the ritual actually being performed

● a spirit introducing themselves as a familiar of Lucifer’s, and whose seal is similar to the one at the very top of the OP, worked with me on some projects

● met the spirit of a relative of mine who ascended into demonic form after his death, Varnaxis - he had literally “sold his soul to Satan” as a very young boy

● when he introduced me to “his” Satan, the spirit was the same being as the god Set known in ancient Egypt, which Varnaxis also acknowledged. I’d read about that link before on here and mostly discounted the idea, because I don’t personally like to clump spirits together - mentioning this purely to clarify that it wasn’t something I’d been expecting

● came to see through some work that Lucifer and Satan/Set are aspects of the same being, kind of a chaotic “dark” force (Satan/Set) that gives rise to the isolate point of lucidity (Lucifer).

BUT I don’t personally have an agenda to push here, on the contrary I think it’s probably best to work with them both as seperate beings unless you have a good reason to believe otherwise.

This isn’t even a large part of my work, so I’m not an expert and NOT claiming that my UPG regarding this is any kind of definitive final word on the matter. It’s just my own findings to date.

9 Likes