Why Enochian rituals are more powerful?

Lon Milo DuQuette - Discusses Enochian Magick (youtube.com)

Taking the cue from this Duquette video, he describes how The Golden Dawn and Crowley didn’t fully grasp how Dee and Kelly received their info from the Angels. Scholars now know that Dee and Kelly were trained in a specific developmental sequence as follows;

1)…elemental- terrestrial.practice (the pentagram) a practice which shows you that your’e on earth orbiting around The Sun.

next,

2) ** only then can you go on to use the (Hexagram) planetary forces i,e. you becomes The Sun surrounded by the planets…

Incidentally is this what Goetic forces are? Averse planetary forces? Most Goetic Demons are related to or actually are demonized planetary Gods

next

3) The zodiacal…its a long practice of you being a Solar entity (among other solar entities?) …

next

4)** only then can one move to the next step i.e. using forces outside the Solar System ; the Enochian.

Does that make sense? It should be a gradual progression. You don’t just fly off into outer space (as it were) to use far out powerful forces.

2 Likes

I don’t think this can be backed up. A small number can be traced to gods but not necessarily planetary ones - Innana/Ishtar as Ashtoreth being the obvious one, and it’s thought that Baal is probably Ba’al (Lord) Hadid or something, who was a city god - the Mesopotamians had a thing where they made their cities into personified deities, so it stands to reason an enemy culture would demonize those.

The original work, the Lesser keys of Solomon, call hem Djinn if I recall, which is a very specific type of Earthbound incarnation, and not a god at all. I suspect they all have many sources from multiple cultures and what they had in common was the Semitic peoples that contributed the most to the Keys of Solomon didn’t like the various people’s they came from. Yahweh, another dessert war god, could easily have been one of them if the shoe had been on the other foot.

So, eh, and it’s kind of messy rather than a smooth progression, the landscape was so very different than today and ideas we think are normal were not even invented back then, like, monotheism, say (which is just weird when you think about it and if there’s only one god you HAVE to denigrate ALL the others, right?).

There’s a wonderful wealth of scholarship out there that does go into this kind of detail so we don’t have to guess . The youtube channel ESOTERICA is awesome for this, and focuses on this period so I think you might find that very interesting.

This one’s a nice start as it goes into more than just the yahweh character, and gets you an idea of the enormity of cultural difference at the time compared to now. And Abrahamic mythology is not Summerian is not Egyptian etc etc. But today we havea garbles mess of all of it in the occult.

This one’s cool:

I would agree understanding as much as possible about the ancient origins is awesome, it’s interesting, and it goes a long way to dispelling the dogma instilled in us by modern wishful thinking.

We all die without the sun, and the sun causes cyclical mass extinctions, it makes sense ancient people and modern mages alike worship and fear it, for identifiable, very solid reasons. But we are beings of the cosmos and much more than just solar, and too much of a good thing will kill you. Just something to bear in mind.

The sun is a tool, no more no less. Use the right tool for the right job and you’re golden.

So I would think, Enochian being an intelligent system that knows how to use the magickal tools wisely, would therefore yield good results. But if you try to simplify it too much into “it’s because of x” you’ll miss out on that intelligence behind it and end up with nothing better than anything else generic and oversimplified.

2 Likes

Before I answer the other points, i just want to simplify the OP. Power gets ramped up or amplified;

First , Earth (elemental forces) Pentagram work then next Planetary forces (Hexagram work) then beyond the solar system ie celestial. Enochian work.

2 Likes

Some scholars, well, specifically David Crowhurst, are beginning to unearth the planetary and celestial nature of Goetic entities. The text is Stellas Daemonum: The Orders of Daemons

Her’s some reviews;

Stellas Daemonum offers an in-depth analysis of the spirits that appear in several late medieval and early modern grimoires. The book unravels these texts’ mythical, etymological, magical, and religious meanings, and draws out their astrological correspondences.

The author shows how the spirit entities featured in these Goetic grimoires can be best understood by studying the celestial nature apparent in the ancient concept of the daimon and through an extensive study

It has an extensive amount of information and references to other daemonolatry books, demons, and deities, their astrological and planetary correlations, days of the year, seasons, etc. It has some lore and information on all the deities involved and a good index at the back

Great as an academic work, delves into the pre-Abrahamic origins of the goetia spirits and explores their theoretical and practical correspondences to the planets and constellations. You’re going to need some astrological knowledge (beyond chart reading) to actually utilize this information in your practice, but a fascinating read nonetheless. Wonderful as a reference for the serious occultist.

1 Like