What If The Occult Was No Longer “Hidden”?

Kind of, yeah. I guess it would depend on how it would be presented to the collective.

1 Like

I think that if the occult was widespread, people would abuse it like they do religion.

I subscribe to the philosophy that there are people out there who should not know things like this because they can use it for their own, dirty ends or something. But, I’m also the weirdo who thinks that not everyone is real and this world is an illusion (and some of the people are, too) so I’ll just be in my corner playing with my Barbie dolls.

I also had a dream once where the big man told me to not let my spiritual gifts become a stumbling block for the weak, so I always keep that in mind. Sometimes people believe the occult will solve all their problems when really they have the power to also do it themselves without the assistance of spirits.

I like the concept though, it would be great if it were more widely accepted… but we live in a place now where I can’t walk into target dressed like a Teifling from D&D for a campaign after work without people poking mean-spirited fun at me. :woman_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Paranoia would spread. Doesn’t even have to be among non-practicioners, I already experienced “It must have been you” in circles of occult knowledge.
It would lead to more conflicts, in my opinion.

2 Likes

I think that the “occult” is not that occult anymore. Mainstream bookstores sell occult books and tools, and the online catalog has never been so wide. A lot of people don’t care/are afraid of it and won’t buy the stuff, but it has never been so available, plus there are many free online resources, such as this forum, for the people who want to learn.

1 Like

Honestly probably wouldn’t turn out the best as everyone would become power hungry, outbreak of curses aimed at people for minor reasons, anything could happen, too many scenarios. Not everyone can control themselves. You’d have to raise them from it from child for them to completely understand without trying to go power surge crazy during teen years or early adult stage :flushed:

1 Like

I don’t think anyone is ever ready. It also seems that the point of the process (or journey) is to make you.

If the occult was widely accepted, maybe it would pressure people to lead more open and honest lives. Maybe there would be less oppressive governments. I know–wishful thinking.

2 Likes

This topic comes up a lot. I mean a lot, most responses you’ll get is paranoid occultists. This information isn’t hidden and if you’re going off people who are emotionally and mentally ready then you won’t find really anyone ready. The occult isn’t hidden, people simply either care or don’t care about it. Not everyone needs the occult in their life to progress in their life, not everyone’s goals require the occult. You also have to take in some are just using the occult as a means of escapism. So if the occult were to not be hidden then life would go on as it already has been.

6 Likes

Exactly, the same thing applies to any other knowledge or activity. Not everyone needs to be an olympic athlete or a PhD in astronomy either, some people have carved rocks for over 50 years and are happy doing that.

3 Likes

I believe people already abuse it and have been. Its there choice and what’s goes on in their spiritual empire is their own business and I’m not one to judge what they do or how they do it. I won’t have to clean up their messes unless somehow they involve me in their world (which hopefully won’t ever happen).

3 Likes

Im glad you said this. Ive long thought highly radioactive elements have the potential to play a huge roll magick. I mean, they are harmful because they give off massive amounts of energy

Edit: also if everyone knew about it, it would cease to be occult by definition.

4 Likes

Then, by definition, it would become Noccult :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

A criminal who steals money would probably be able to hire more magicians to bind the police and unbind them. Or they would even practice it themselves.

3 Likes

Lol all trials would have state mandated magick users alongside lawyers.

2 Likes

What if recreational McNukes were commonplace? Not that different of a question, nor of a net result.

1 Like

If occult wasn’t hidden I don’t think it would take a turn for fantasy scenarios lol.

1 Like

Very insightful, Alex. When you say that you think that not everyone is real, and some people are an illusion, are you speaking of the theory about soulless humans/organic portals/ NPC’s? I’ve researched into this theory before, that some people were born without souls, and that’s why most people can’t see beyond this physical world and/or care so much about mundane ‘material’ things such as football games or celebrity gossip. Seems like an interesting theory.

1 Like

I won’t go off on a tangent, but my best friend and I literately used to call them NPC’s because of a lack of better phrasing and we were gaming nerds at the time. It kinda ties into the post I made here in terms of the pantheon I believe in based on my “past life” dreams and conversations with Mysterious.

Tried that before ,it was called Atlantis… Didn’t end well.

3 Likes

Exactly. The whole place got busted.

1 Like

Full Metal Alchemist anyone?

1 Like