What does "Archaelus" mean?

Really guys? Google it! He was one of King Herod’s sons. Didn’t accomplish as much as his overachieving father :joy:

That was Herod Archelaus, not Herod “Archaelus”.
Archelaus --> He who rules over people.

1 Like

yeah…it might be that it got mixed up. I remember hearing EA talk about the Hasmonean / Herodian connection in one of his videos.

1 Like

Yeap, that’s what I said. It might be a mixed up word, which might mean “High Priest”, but not in Greek.

Doesn’t make sense as a name in Koine: just means “Beggining people” ( as in " Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος") if using ἀρχή)", or “ancient / primitive people” if using ἀρχαῖος.

We don’t talk just about the Koine (330-700B.C.), Koine is just 2 steps before Demotic (aka modern Greek), in a staircase of a 3.000 years old language.

2 Likes

But that’s being used in the Aristotelian sense of “first principle” that the Gnostics appropriated for their own cosmology. That’s probably not the sense that it’s being used for in this context (unless EA believes that he’s one of the lackies of the Demiurgos.

I used Koine because that was the lingua franca of Hasmonean Palestine during the Roman occupation.

Or we could be brutally honest and apply Okham’s razor to this and admit that it might be some nonsense EA pulled out of the ether.

ἄρχοντί τ᾽ ἄρχων καὶ κασιγνήτῳ κάσις, ἐχθρὸς σὺν ἐχθρῷ (lord/ruler against lord/ruler, brother against brother and enemy against enemy) πολυάνδρου δ᾽ Ἀσίας ἄρχων (of the crowded Asia ruler).

Greek is a complicated language, one word can sound the same when we speak but it’s written differently and has different meaning, same as “ἕωλος” and “αἰόλος”.
And a lord/ruler is a person who’s the FIRST over people, as a King is the FIRST over his subjects.

This actually doesn’t make sense in Greek for a name. Same as Filippos aka Philip (Φίλιππος) comes from the words φίλος (friend) and ίππος (horse), so the name means “He who is friend with horses” or even “He who cares about horses” but it will never mean “Friendhorse” or “Friendlyhorse”.

3 Likes

Yes… as I said

1 Like

I always assumed it was just his magical name that he found in some book somewhere and thought sounded cool. :man_shrugging:

Most people here know how magical names work, and the spirits will call you by whatever you introduce yourself by, or sometimes, by a title they give you (like King or Goddess). I have had spirits refer to EA by “Archaelus,” and call others by their magical names as well so, as @Warlock said, it could just be made up … :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

LOL I hope no Spirit will call me to someone else with my magickal name :unamused: That would be…just meh.

2 Likes

One more thing. Why do these names always have to be dark and sinister? Why can’t these names be chosen to be more “user friendly”? But then again I don’t think BALG would be as popular if their founders went by the name of “Mr Kitty Whiskers”.

2 Likes

Normally your magickal name is been given to you by the Spirits or your Higher Self. So I doubt they would ever name you “Mr. Kitty Whiskers” unless they want to screw with you :joy:

6 Likes

They could…but the magician wouldn’t know who the spirit was referring to if they didn’t already know your magical name. The people who the spirits referred by their magical names were people I knew so they weren’t dropping any secrets if that’s what you were thinking. I’ve even had spirits refer to people by their forum handles, because that is the name I knew them by.

Actually, in my experience, most magical names are chosen by the magician. Most beginner’s books on magick have chapters on choosing your name. It is seen as a way to build the magical self separate from the mundane. So there very well might be a witch out there named “Kitty Whiskers.” :joy:

3 Likes

True, it happened to me several times.

Also true, but it’s not your real name. As a Wiccan (over a decade ago) I was “forced” to have a magickal name. But the one who gave me my real name, didn’t called me with what I was known. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

E.A said he is supposed to attain the level of 1st- Priest and then Wizard in his lifetime.
Do U know anything about what this stature denotes?

Like in different traditions different Titles are used to signify one’s attainment. For example-
In siddha tradition there is Siddha, then Maha-Siddha, Ati siddha, Lord of siddha etc.

In Gupta tradition- Arahat, Bodhisattva, Mahasattva, Buddha, Kalpa Buddha etc.

In Wizard tradition there is Wizard, Grand Wizard, Arch Wizard etc.

If there is any literature describing these different states of attainments in details??? With the road-map of how to get there???

1 Like

Depends very much on the tradition. And what you mean by magickal name. Akashiel, my open magical name was designed by me and approved by the spirits I worked with at the time. My “true name” was revealed later and I’m not supposed to use it in anything but rituals. I¨m pretty sure E.A came up with Archaelus when he looked like this, by the way, so he probably didn’t have as good of a knowledge base as he does now, though I’m not sure of the method he used to make or discover it

3 Likes

That’s true. My school advised me to choose one, translate it into Latin, then keep it under lock and key and not reveal it to anyone. It goes with the old belief that if one reveals his / her true name to another then that person will have magical power over him / her. It’s for the same reason that one of the main goals in the exorcism rite in the Roman Ritual (used in the Catholic chuch up until the second vatican council) is to get the demon to reveal its name; once revealed the exorcism becomes much easier. Which is why I’m wondering if Archaelus is even a part of EA’s magical name. I suspect he keeps his true magical name quite private. For the same reason I seldom use the name that my Familiar Spirit revealed to me as her name, but rather use a nick name for her in most interactions I have with her.

3 Likes

I dunno…this sounds dodgy, like titles the KKK would use.

1 Like