Uses for Black Walnut Bark

I recently obtained bark from the east side of a ok Black walnut tree. It is on the site of my future homestead (basically I’m going to live on the land, it’s just a matter of setting things up) I was called to the tree and when I pressed myself against to hug it(plz don’t judge), two pieces of bark came off in my cleavage… I know I should do something with this bark, but the question is what to do with it. It was around sun set, the ground under the tree was covered in walnut shells but no grass. The tree itself seems really big and old and in good health. Everytime I go onto the land, I am pulled to that tree.

Anyway, can y’all help me out and give some suggestions for what to do with Black Walnut Bark?

2 Likes

I hug trees too :smiley:

At this point I would just keep it in your apothecary and not try to force it’s usage out too soon. If you use it up and them find out what it was for I guess you could just go get some more, but my feeling is, these pieces are a bit special, being a gift. When the time comes it will be obvious.

2 Likes

According to Papa Jim who wrote the book Papa Jim’s Herbal Workbook it can be used in healing rites and spells.

1 Like

I’d probably look into it more, but when you speak of homesteading this something I am familiar with to some extent due to my own desires and I just keeping thinking… I’d probably use it for like a land/home blessing for your homestead- maybe when you move onto it, or find your spending slot of time there, would probably be good. Like an onset of a project sorta thing.

It seems to have protective properties and see it used sometimes at the unset of marriages and for protection against lighting…

So it seems to have the properties that would make for a good greeting to the land and sharing your intentions to make it your home, blessing and protecting it for your use and future upon it.

Black walnut can be ingested as an anti parasitic cleanse. I’ve used it quite a few times. Doesn’t taste bad either. Black walnut is alleopathic, which means it releases a chemical in the soil through the roots around it preventing anything from growing up and overtaking it. The chemical responsible for being strongly anti parasitic is called - Juglone. I think it is that same chemical that is also released by the roots.

2 Likes