Translating Names Of Spirits

This is how the pronunciation comes out for me when i work with um.

This surface as for me
Ny (as in night)
Ar
Lath
Otep

Always gotten strong results with these when vibrated the same way as mantras.

2 Likes

We allowed for white people dialect! Do not fear! Lol. If you feel game sometime try NY (as with yours, like night), Ar (roll the R) Lat, Hotep. Keep the distinction betwixt the last t and h and see how it works for you.

1 Like

Nyarlothotep - If you are going with traditional enunciation: neear-lot-hotep. The ‘t’ and ‘h’ are not a combined ‘th’ sound because there is a separation of syllables. “hotep” is a kind of honorific addendum, basically translating to ‘being at peace’.

Cthulhu - It is meant to be spit out. Start with your mouth in a position like you are just about to make a ‘k’ sound, and go right into the rest. The ‘th’ is subtle, more of a ‘t’, kind of like the word Thulean. The ‘lhu’ is a soft ‘who’ sound with an exagerrated ‘oo’. “ktoo-lhoo”, two syllables. If the little ball in the back of the throat is trying to make a guttural trill when you say the word then you are at least close.

This is the explanation of said names according to Mr. Lovecraft himself, so I don’t feel it is something that was ever really open to debate, despite how others choose to pronounce it. Not that it really matters, IMO. If it is Nyarlothotep’s name you speak with intent and you know who you are referring to I do not feel mispronouncing it matters at all.

4 Likes

So instead of:
“Nü-a-la-pho-tep”
“Ny-ala-pho-tep”
this:
“Ny-ala-to-tep”
“Nü-ala-to-tep”

“Kutulu”
“Q-tulu”

No: kneeyar-lot-hotep

qtool-whooo (with gutteral trill). The trill really brings it together. It’s kind of like the trill you make when saying certain words in High German (?). It forms when you make the ‘l’ sound between the first and second syllables.

1 Like

oh awesome :smiley: ive been pronouncing them right all along! :sweet_potato:

2 Likes

i translated it into “german” (-_- )

1 Like