Thessaly Sources

My current work focuses on Thessaly and compiling the information from texts that describe the Witches of Thessaly, their craft and pharmako utilized.The information is sparse and mostly vague unfortunately - and pretty much “outside looking in”, but ive found gems here and there in various sources that have assisted me in what im attempting to revive - theres always just a bit here and a bit there. Does anyone have any book recommendations that discuss or provide information on the witches of Thessaly? it doesnt need to be the exclusive topic of the book (though that would be fab!), even just a few passages that discuss the magic of that region would be helpful - it also doesnt have to be an occult book (though quite a few of my sources have come from books about the magic uses of plants and herbs). Id love to find a book that is an anthropological study of rituals/practices based on any archeological remnants. At any rate, if you have any, Id like to add them to my reading list - im currently waiting on the pharmako series (complete set :heart_eyes:) by Dale Pendell which im assuming will reference thessaly to some measure, but if anyone else has read, id love to hear reviews about that also!

Thank you!

1 Like

I have those and I’m not actually seeing Thessaly in the indexes, sorry.

The first think I think of is Thessaly inspired a character of the name in the Sandman, but though she’s a powerful witch there’s not much info.

2 Likes

its all good - Have you read them yet by chance? I had them on my reading list and then they ended up being referenced fairly often in Veneficium, which solidified my choice to purchase. Im still excited for them, even if no reference to Thessaly.

I do like the look of the book you linked to. i will add it to my list! Thank you!

They’re very fun to read as well as informative, you will love them I’m sure :smiley:

I’m still reading other stuff and have a good 6 books on the go so I’m dipping into them as and when I can, looking up info on the ingredients in witches flying ointments at the moment.

I’m especially enjoying the Poeia…I just stumbled on this lovely:

On Poisoning Wells, p154

Confronting the nature of evil. The evilness is us. We are the evil. And within evil is the only hope for [a cure]. The evil is the remedy. You must dance with evil. Shunning only makes it stronger. It will not die - it will metamorphose into a new shape that we can’t identify, an epiphany unrecognized.

Dionysus needs temper.

A formal discipline which does not deny it but sits with it patiently, letting it come and go.
Becoming intimate. Merging, kissing, enraptured in orgasmic bliss. Not chasing the god, but making love with it. Bedding Satan. Why not? The power of love is beyond measure!

This illustrates the practice of “poisoning wells”.

2 Likes

Very lovely! im excited to read!

Try maremagnus. Com. Or bookfinder. The first is worldwide in a lot of languajes,. But if u are serios look in booksellers of tat country, and ask. But it be weeks to hear from them.

1 Like

Thank you!