While studying goddesses and the Four Angels of Prostitution, I’ve come across rituals that recommend certain bathing rituals & adorning yourself with accessories and makeup. As a former MUA, I was intrigued by the reasoning behind it. Personally, I have noticed greater energy during ritual when wearing lipstick or perfumes. So I went out in search of the correlation between the two. I hope to create a positive space where everyone can share their experiences, favorite products, or recipes here
Here are some of my findings:
- Makeup was used as a form of honor and respect towards the gods and goddesses in sacred rituals.
- Ancient Egyptians were most known for their usage of makeup to connect on a higher level with the gods.
- Men and women alike partook in the usage for rituals.
- Kohl eyeliner was viewed as a form of protection against the evil eye by ancient Egyptians with even children wearing liner.
- When walking the path of sacred sexuality with the Four Angels of Prostitution, anointing yourself with perfumes/oils and makeup deepens your connection with them and helps you step into the role of becoming a sacred prostitute.
- Cosmetics and perfumes were used by goddesses and sacred prostitutes for seduction, pleasure, and to signify their godhood or status.
- Usage of a certain colors can relate to connecting to a chakra you might want to strengthen or the type of magick you’re performing, i.e, red lipstick-love spells; green nail polish-money spells.
- In Greece, Aphrodite, was the curator of beauty rituals as her devotees wanted to emulate her eternal youth, beauty, and femininity.
- Though they found makeup superficial, ancient citizens of India worshipped the earth & it’s elements which united them with nature, beauty & health. They would engage in baths and oil treatments for spiritual cleansing.
- Ancient Romans used hot/cold immersions therapy baths for rejuvenation.
- Pre-ritual self care shows not only respect for yourself and your body as a temple, but respect for the spirits as well. Spirits appreciate it when one puts effort into themselves before calling upon them.
- Certain scents correlate to certain spirits so it can can strengthen the connection you have to an entity during ritual. For example, anointing yourself with dragons blood when working with Lilith could be beneficial.
- Several spirits enjoy makeup as an offering.
- Blush is associated with fertility, youth, and sacred prostitution.
Makeup color workings:
- Nudes-grounding & stability
- Pinks-love, fertility, beauty
- Reds-power, confidence, health
- Purples-empowerment, divination, magick
Makeup containers and palettes from Ancient Egypt:
For more in depth info, these links are very informative and interesting reads:
And we don’t stop with ancient civilizations! Today’s witches are creating a new platform for beauty rituals. Simply said, these witches rock! They provide not only tips and products, but they’re all about embracing your true self with or without makeup, body and sex positivity, empowering yourself, and using beauty rituals as a form of self love and expression.