The price of civilized society

Just wanted to start a discussion on this. What comes to mind for me before mass civilization as we have it now people were more intune with themselves. Shamans used to have these dreams that they would interpret as messages from the gods. These messages would then lead the rest of the tribe. Seeing spirits or manifestations of the unconscious/subconscious mind was seen as a sign and they were grateful for such things. In today’s world if you see spirits you are denoted to schizo and forced pills down your mouth. I feel as though as a species we have gained and lost a lot through civilization. Any opinions on this?
What made me ponder this was a video I was listening to…

Is that the case now, though? We’re all here… and this kind of interest, from newage fluffiness to whatever, seems to be growing every year.

4 Likes

Hadn’t considered this. A good point that the shift of spirituality is growing greater and greater as a need for it grows more and more. What are your opinions on the growth of civilization, what are the cons of such a thing, spiritually, and culturally speaking?

Unfortunately yes in some areas. Even if you don’t find yourself in a padded room or medication you might find yourself ostracised

2 Likes

I’m not sure what’s defined as civilsation, maybe mastery of nature? Beginning with agriculture, which seems to have been when cultures changed.

I wouldn’t trade knowledge of germ theory and ability to understand that you don’t poop where you draw water from for anything, to remove simple things like that is to be cast back powerless into a world where cause and effect are imprenetrable mysteries, so all you can do is hope spirits and the local wise people will guide you.

Seems like the opposite of ascent to me. :thinking:

1 Like

To what extent do the people living there feel like they have some mastery or their own fate, and to what degree do they look outside themselves to be led? (Related to my post above I mean.)

1 Like

The biggest issue, and the doublestandard, is the governmental cooperation in the Western civilization with Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Mass collective lunatism is totally fine, while individual spiritualism is still struggling uphill. It’s still hard to speak for other spirits and deities the same way the monotheistic religion does, without risking a psychological evaluation.

7 Likes

“Under the influence of scientific assumptions, not only the psyche but the individual man and, indeed, all individual events whatsoever suffer a levelling down and a process of blurring that distorts the picture of reality into a conceptual average. We ought not to underestimate the psychological effect of the statistical world-picture: it thrusts aside the individual in favour of anonymous units that pile up into mass formations…As a social unit he has lost his individuality and become a mere abstract number in the bureau of statistics. He can only play the role of an interchangeable unit of infinitesimal importance.” (Carl Jung, The Undiscovered Self)

“We ought not do X because Y will always happen if we do.”

That quote contradicts itself, saying science looks at the statistics not the man, then making a sweeping statement about how that will affect everyone, all of the time.

“People should never generalise” is the short and equally wacky version. :wink:

Also, doesn’t address germ theory, fire, taming the horse, agriculture, and I doubt the world needed many psychologhists before we got those more or less sorted out.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is still a strong link between organised xtian or major religions and authorities. The separation of church and state is tenable at best and laughable in most cases. It simply does not happen when you have politicians attending weekly church services just to pander to constituents of the major faith in the area. I still remember having a conversation with fellow students on the merits of wicca at high school. The conversation was overheard by a teacher standing on the balcony above us and we all found ourselves having a “discussion” on the “dangers” of wicca and “connections” with drug use.

3 Likes

"We ought not to underestimate the psychological effect of the statistical world-picture"
With the advancement of science and more people turning from religion,it creates a drought of self worth, being a con for modern day man. Using religion as a crutch for self worth as we are from the one and might creator made to do his bidding. With this declining it creates a drought of self worth.

:rofl:

But is self-worth an inalienable right that society should endlessly morph, trying to provide it to all people?

Shocking, I bet no-one round here takes drugs! :astonished:

4 Likes

Ahhh! For shoulds I know not the answer and you bring a good point. Is a decline in self-worth a bad thing? A bad thing from who’s perspective? Is it right for us to move away from religion? What will the future of self-worth look like. You can see the crippled self worth of individuals from social media imo. “Look at my butt” “notice me for I am worthy of noticing.”. Perhaps self-worth problem will resolve itself… or perhaps it’s part of human nature?

2 Likes

Lol if only they had realised my english teacher at the time was a supporter of the legalisation of marijuana, an ex hippie and was a new age wiccan as well. He recognised a druidic symbol I was doodling one day in class. Nice guy, gave me A’s for the most part

3 Likes

:grin: or perhaps studied history. Magick=satan=bad=drugs=anarchy. :rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah I dropped a should, my bad lol.

I have found that the people who had to work hardest for self-worth are usually the ones who are interesting, have something positive to bring to the world, and that most (not all) of the people who lead “the unexamined life” or who just figure they’re okay and always were are dull at best, pretty horrible at worst.

People who are aware of forming their own character usually have a more interesting one, in my personal opinion.

4 Likes

In your opinion will the examined life become the culturally praised one or the opposite?

1 Like

You’re very engaging, I appreciate that.

1 Like

It depends who the culture serves, at the moment it seems the examined life is out of favour, hardcore identity politics are a version of saying:

“You have no free will and are formed simply by your amount of privilege in society, so the less you have the less accountable for your actions you are.”

That’s the opposite of asking people to develop self-awareness, to look within, and not react like rats in a behaviouralists experiment of stimulus and reward.

3 Likes