The 9 Demonic Gatekeepers in ancient cultures

Hello my friends,

We know who the 9 Gatekeepers are(Azazel, Beelzebub, Satan, Lucifuge Rofocale, Belial, Baal, Abaddon, Amaymon, and Asmodeus). I was wondering who you all believe them to be by their most ancient names based on your research, and experiences with them?

I already have a good idea on this, so I’ll start:

Azazel-Saturn-Ninurta
Beelzebub-Baal Zebub-Baalzebuth-Baal Zeboul (I’m pretty sure he’s not Enlil, when I asked him, he denied it)
Satan-Poseidon-Enki
Lucifuge Rofocale-Thoth-Quetzalcoatl-Ningishzidda
Belial-(uncertain)
Baal-Nanna
Abaddon-Apollyon-Apollo-Utu
Amaymon-(uncertain)
Asmodeus-(uncertain)

Even if you are just speculating, I want to hear who y’all think they are from culture to culture, any and all perspectives and comparisons are welcome!

8 Likes

I also believe Satan has relations to Set.

5 Likes

Same here, I forgot to put that up there lol

2 Likes

according to the Hebrews bible belial was known as beliar he was personified as the devil

4 Likes

amaymon is prince of hell and according to some grimoires ,the only one who has power over Asmodia

3 Likes

Interesting! I think I’ve heard that before somewhere about Belial being Beliar, do you know if he’s in any other cultures predating the Hebrews?

2 Likes

Not sure buddy ill do some research and get back to you

3 Likes

I aslo found it mentions in old testament bey-al but i cant find it meaning worthless on or lawless one

2 Likes

One

1 Like

There’s not much out there that I could find about the origins of Belial, other than this passage from EA Koetting’s essay “Belial’s Rage”, found in Anthology of Sorcery, Vol. 3:

4 Likes

@Nyxifer That’s a really good find!

1 Like

beliar Is Greek and bay - al is Hebrew

So I did WAY more research (several hours, every day, for the past 4 days) and found out I was right about some, and initially wrong about others!

Bel Marduk - Beelzebub
Ningishzidda - Lucifuge Rofocale
Ninurta - Azazel
Utu - Abaddon
Ereshkigal - Amaymon
Geshtinanna - Belial
Ishkur - Baal
Nergal - Asmodeus
Enki - Satan

1 Like

Azazel - Prometheus

Beelzebub - Baal Zebul

Satan - Enki

Lucifuge Rofocale - Thoth

Belial - Not a worshiped god

Baal - Baal Hadad or Baal Hammon, I’m not so sure about this, someone correct me

Abaddon - Apollo

Asmodeus - Aeshma deva

Amaymon - Not a worshiped god, as far as I know

Ah, so Geshtinanna is another name for Belili? Interesting… :thinking:

So many different masks and names for the same entity, it’s enough to drive one nuts trying to pin down who’s who!

3 Likes

Precisely! I tried to find the most ancient names they went by, and it did make me a tad nuts trying to figure it out! Haha!

@Baal you’re correct about several of these, the only two I would disagree on is Azazel being Prometheus and Belial not being worshipped as a god. It was extremely difficult to take the simple connections, and connect those to even more ancient Gods, especially with Amaymon and Asmodeus, as I thought the same thing initially about Amaymon as well!

But are Baal and Bael the same? Some say no, different entities while others say it is just a spelling/translation error… what is the truth?

1. Belial - Belili

2. Beelzebub- The Druj Nasu/Pazuzu

3. Lucifuge Rofocale - Thoth/Ningishzidda

4. Amaymon - Amon

5. Asmodeus - Aeshma

6. Satan - Yamnah

7. Azazel - Al’Uzza

8. Bael - Baal

9. Abaddon - Apollyon

4 Likes
  1. Belial - Belili.

2. Beelzebub - Baal-Hadad or Adad.

3. Lucifuge Rofocale - Unknown.

4. Amaymon - Amon.

5. Asmodeus - Aeshma.

6. Satan - Ahriman or Angra Mainyu.

7. Azazel - Melek Taus or Kumara (Naigamesha).

8. Bael - Another aspect of Beelzebub.

9. Abaddon - Apollyon, Apollo, or Ningishzida.

3 Likes