Starting Garden or Kitchen witchcraft? Wanting to start an occult garden?!Basil will be your best bud

This topic might be a bit different from most of the ones we get on the forum but I wanted to share my beginning steps in Garden witchcraft. This is also relevant to Kitchen witchcraft because it’s edible. :slight_smile:

I love plants. They’re really nice to have around and they are just good for so many things. I’m also very interested in Garden Witchcraft. But there are many unfortunate things about my situation that makes plant growing hard. Have you ever wanted to grow or dedicate a plant for spells however you…

• … have little space?
  • … fear it’s too hard?
  • … are very busy?
  • … have animals that tend to make a mess?
  • … are needy for plant matter for spells and worry about harvesting too much?

Basil might be a good starting plant. Why? Well, Basil is easy to maintain. You can even propogate it just by slicing off a small branch of the stem and placing it in a jar with water. There are also many types of basil (Sweet, Thai, Lemon, Holy…) and you can buy both seeds and mature plants in most gardening, home improvement or even grocery stores.

Basil isn’t toxic to cats or dogs, so if your kitty or pooch happens to rip it and eat it, there shouldn’t be a concern for health. The cats in our house tried to rip up my own basil a few times but both the basil and cats are still perfectly healthy.

I currently have five basil plants; two potted ones outside, a smaller potted one inside and two propagating in water. Every time I prune the plants to encourage growth, I save some of the leaves and dry them to use in spells and for protection. They can also be used to attract money from what I’ve read. Basil can be used to represent both Earth (because plant matter) and Fire (its official association) in spellwork.

Basil can also be used in cooking. It can be a spice, added in dressing, or even steamed into a tea. Because of it’s multiple uses and easy growing and care, I would recommend basil not just for Gardening or Kitchen witches just starting out, but anyone who is interested in growing plants for magic.

Further reading:

Propagation from cuttings: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/basil/propagating-basil.htm

Witchipedia entry:

Basil Lemonade recipe:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/basil-lemonade-238928/amp

Repotting store-bought basil (not to be done immediately after buying, as plants can die from stress related to environmental change):

Is this helpful? Let me know. :slight_smile:

As a bonus, here’s some pics of my basil plants.

13 Likes

I’m actually glad to see someone on here who works with plants. I know it’s not so common in the community. Plants actually have a special place within me seeing as i come from a long line of herbalists. And the power of plants is often overlooked by modern medicine or by those who pass it off as being only for the average country witch. Truth is, for every sickness there is, there’s a cure in the plant kingdom. Smooth skin, healthy hair, strong nails, a good immune system, the benefits of plants are numerous.

On the flip side they’re effective for many curses as well, and often kick in quicker than you would expect. Depending on how toxic the plant is of course.

If you’d like I could recommend some other plants to get started with. You could also try growing a moon garden as that’s an interesting experience, plus it’s always helpful to work with the plant’s deva to help it grow in the best way possible. Also t really helps to learn to utilize the earth’s energy in planting as it shortens the time needed for growth and ensures a bountiful harvest.

Have fun working with plants and the spirits of the land and don’t be afraid to get down and dirty :wink:

~Aluriel

8 Likes

Thank you for the words of encouragement! I would actually like to hear about other plants that are good for starters. From what I gather, herbs in general seem to be a good starting point. Do you know what plants would be good for a moon garden? I’ve heard about them but I’m not familiar with night-blooming plants.

3 Likes

Moon flowers are my absolute favorite (gotta love their magical uses as well. Hint: confusion and hallucinations) , Casa blanca as well as hydrangeas and of course artemisia.

Just research and go with what feels right to you. Connect with the earth mother(just go with an open mind and don’t expect to always see the wiccan goddess of corn and flowers) and she’ll guide your intuition

4 Likes

Brilliant post, very inspiring - I want a small herb garden by next summer, this couldn’t have better timing, thanks! :smiley: :green_heart:

3 Likes

I have my seed collection and plan to grow a medicinal garden starting in the spring. Living in the south on the gulf coast presents some challenges, heat, bugs, lol but I’ve been thinking about this for years and have always grown things. I’ve been dabbling in herbal medicine for about 20 years.

-monique

2 Likes

I have an entire moon garden collection of seeds, all white and all night blooming plants! Can’t WAIT to plant it!

-monique

3 Likes

That’s amazing !

Please keep us updated I’d love to hear any progress you have with this

Very Nice. This forum can use a little bit of witchcraft outside of evocations and ritual magick…

6 Likes

@Aluriel

Hope this works here is what I ordered, everything is open pollinated and organic and from her own garden

I have never practiced magic formally, but am very interested in it :grin: I suppose that’s why I’m here?

-monique

5 Likes

Im so glad to see this topic! I planted black henbane, cinquefoil, roses, and belladonna over a month ago and the henbane and belladonna just sprouted today. Im so excited :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ha I do so love that proud joyful moment when the little baby shoots appear!

Belladonna isn’t something I grow as it’s easy enough to acquire from the wild over here but I have a nice assortment of other (mainly medicinal) herbs/flowers which I grow in an old wheelbarrow I painted yellow :blush:

1 Like

YES! This same week my black henbane, cinquefoil, and roses all sprouted too. Im so happy, I cant stop going to peek at them <3
Lol your wheelbarrowgarden sounds awesome.

2 Likes

You’ll have to keep me updated on how they’re getting on, maybe show me the gardeners equivalent of baby pics ha!
Aww thanks, I like it and it makes it super easy to move them in winter!
You growing your plants for a reason or just bcos you can?

1 Like

I will def put up baby pics lol. Im just growing them for the traditional witchiness of it all. You?

1 Like

Nice! I’m a holistic therapist so some are grown for lotions and tinctures, others I grow purely for witchcraft and the rest can be used for everything inc food.

1 Like

Best answer ever.

1 Like

Here’s my lil sprout :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aww so teeny! :green_heart:
Seeing them first pop up always makes me feel like the angel in the Talmud who bends over a blade of grass whispering ‘Grow, grow.’

1 Like

That’s beautiful.

1 Like