Serious Consideration for a FULL Website Zip Download

It has been a thought swimming within my mind the past few days of what might happen to all the information on this website if the site were to go down unexpectedly due to some unforeseen circumstance. I’m not talking about simply going down temporarily due to DDOS or system failure, but rather potentially lost to various countries around the world due to government censorship or the like. Within Myanmar a few years ago the citizens experienced an internet blackout and were without any form of connectivity for quite a while. I certainly don’t have to tell you about China… Now, I’m not here to talk politics as I understand why that is forbidden. But the question remains, what would happen to our ability to learn from this incredible resource if it were to be lost?

I pose a solution for this issue. Create a downloadable zip file containing the texts of all posts ever created on this forum. Create a backup file that is downloadable for everyone and viewable within a compressed format but readily easy to view from any home computer. This file could automatically back itself up and update every 24-48hrs. This way anyone that downloads this zip file would have all the information at their fingertips for their viewing pleasure.

I have no doubt it would be incredibly difficult to try and read through such a sheer amount of unorganized text without any kind of vetted interface. BUT at least we would have the information and those with time on their hands could eventually find what they are looking for.

I’m not a tech wizard by any means. But I know this is possible. For those in the know I suggest creating such a downloadable file link for all to use, now and into the future.

Mull it over.

1 Like

Buy the books. If the internet is down it’s likely you have no power to run any electronic devices and a backup file will be useless.

With paper, no internet no problem. I always have paper for the books I care about, but beyond that many of my books are not available in e format anyway.

Paper is your backup.

3 Likes

Not to mention if there’s any truth to the fact that history has been recorded in crystal skulls or any of the other objects that people believe can be encoded…

We still haven’t as a people figured out how to reveal these things to each other, so unless it can be proven it’s been recorded on any device, if we were to go through an event like another extinction or whatever…

The likelihood that the survivors would be able to use the information is only as likely as that there would be survivors that would know how to decode or download the information and then redistribute it.

So it’s no more safe in an electronic download imop that could be melted, disintegrated, damaged, rendered into only fragments etc, than it is on paper that can be burned to ash.

I guess what I’m saying is I can see why they say oral history intentionally preserved by trigger mechanisms is more likely to be passed on accurately than in written form.

Simply knowing all the garbage books and material out there now and the likelihoods that anything worth your time would actually be there to survive… idk man.

I think you have to pass it on to people that might remember and know how to use it, for any of the other methods of preservation to be actually useful.

Otherwise you end up with the same scenario where you have material out there that the majority doesn’t even understand.

An example is when a relative dies suddenly and no one knows how to make their signature dish for dinner.

Everyone is sad and sometimes the family tries to reproduce the food as they’ve seen gramma make it a hundred times. They might even argue over which ingredients were the secret or what the ingredients were.

Usually only a grandchild or child, Someone who was real close to the dead gramma and that’s worked directly with gramma in making it, will be able to figure out exactly how gramma made it though- they helped make it, they were taught and saw things they might not know otherwise and they experienced it.

Otherwise you might end up with a recipe, but it’s often not quite like gramma made it.

1 Like

Good point. We have almost totally lost our psychic connections via telepathy and crystal storage that only needed ourselves and become reliant on systems and tech that are much more vulnerable, temporary, and less reliable by design as they are build to wear out and become obsolete to keep us buying more. It’s like the “dark side of the force”: easy and fast, but inferior in the long term. A crutch.

As a mage I do find it exciting to think about how people with Siddhis, Native Americans and so on had these psychic “technologies” and figure out how to do that.

Imagine having the ability to control your surface thoughts to allow only those you want viewable out, to be able to call your remote friends without a phone, or look at a crystal and just know what it contains.
That’s power for you.

3 Likes

Oh me tooooooo. I could theorize for days on certain items just from what I’ve experienced so far.

1 Like

I fully agree that paper is the best backup of all. An apocolyptic type of blackout is something entirely different from an internet blackout. I look at many of the texts written by well known magicians to be a rendered down concentrated version of information they have gathered and prepared for the consumption of a would be reader/practitioner. Those books are fantastic. BUT they cost money. Not everyone has access to the level of cash it would take to purchase a library of occult texts.

There are many tidbits of information here that I seriously doubt are within the bindings of any grimoire currently available to the masses. Spiritual channelings and personal journal entries are absolutely valuable to those that seek to learn from them.

It is true many people that would attempt to try to understand what is written here without proper context or functional basis of understanding would have some issues getting the recipe correct. Though I would wonder why they are downloading it to begin with if they have zero understanding.

Learning is a process and should be accessible to everyone no matter how unlikely it is that someone get it all correct. Ultimately, that is what the guidance of spirits is for. That is no doubt a large part of how natives have gained this knowledge to begin with. Through shamanism. The knowledge learned through shamanistic practices is then passed down orally to their kin. Like a very long drawn out game of telephone.

Sadly, our teachers and elders have disappeared, been forgotten or deemed irrelevant. The knowledge they once preserved has been lost.

Crystals are a very intriguing idea to store information within. I recall Orlee Stewart had talked about that some on her YouTube channel. I would have to refresh my memory on that. But regardless, such a technology however simplistic it may be, albeit effective, is not going to be something far reaching within the digital age we are currently enduring.

Downloading a zip file may not be the whole solution to a litany of problems regarding the transfer and sharing of information to others, but it does serve a purpose. One that I would like to see fulfilled.

I have thought about this subject too. When youtube closed thousands of accounts last year without explanation, I wondered if maybe someone could make balg disappear.

I think the internet is back up for paper, and paper is backup for the internet.

When I find interesting stuff on the forum I screen print it or write it down. Its much easier to find something the second time in my own notes and pics then trying to remember the name of a topic on the forum🤠

1 Like

The Library of Alexandria was destroyed, but the hieroglyphs on the pyramids still survived (barely). Much later, the Arab world actually preserved a lot of knowledge during the Medieval period.

It is not just the fact of the forms knowledge is preserved in, it’s how many people have the knowledge. I’d rather have millions with their own copies than a central repository that millions have to access.

2 Likes

I’ve started a Google Docs file in that I save spells, rituals, tips, anecdotes, and anything I think is important or could be referenced later. I’ve got it organized, and it’s available for offline viewing on my phones. I hadn’t started it for the reason you mentioned, but more so for easy access for myself.

But really, if something ever happened to this site, aside from the loss of knowledge, personal wisdom, and experiences, I’d be heartbroken from losing my connection with you guys.

If a file, as you describe, is ever put into place, I’d happily download it.

1 Like