Say what is a Lich?

I know absolutely nothing about what a Lich is, and I would love an explanation please!

A lich is a fictional undead creature. The word is Old English and means corpse. It’s modern definition originated with the game Dungeons & Dragons in 1977 and generally refers to a necromancer, sorcerer, or other magic user who attained the state of “undeath” through magical or mystical means.

4 Likes

^ This

You see then in video games some. Used to love Trion’s RIFT and in that there’s a mob called a lich. If you had the right class you can turn into one for about 10 seconds to do extra dps.

1 Like

I just watched a video about what a lich is.

What they said of how a they cheat death is that they put there soul in a container and or find a new body

It actually reminded me of a video I watched in a mythology explained YouTube channel about how a powerful sorcerer from Slavic mythology met his end.

He’s known as “Koschei The Immortal”

1 Like

Is there a way to explain this?:confused:

Was it this story that inspired the Lich?

Possibly. I think the creators of D & D did do a fair amount of research in mythology and drew from many different places, but there is no real way to know.

I gotta say I’ve heard of a lot of ways on how a magic user can cheat death but this to me is downright bizarre

Well, it is mythology, not reality lol

Okay you got me there

It comes to my mind buddist practice called Sokushinbutsu - practice of self-mummification. Monk is on special diet and training to loose all the fat, also drink some toxic infusion to make his body poisonous for worms, and to loose body fluids. Monk then is sealed in stone tomb, where he waits for death in lotos position, he have only a small hole for air, and give a bell to signal if he is still alive. After some time his body was pulled out, and if body was preserved it was considered to be a budda, and was exposed on public view.