Rauðskinna

The Rauðskinna is apparently a fifteenth century grimoire that teaches the user to control Satan. It was apparently lost and anyone who looks for it dies. Well at least that is the legend associated with it. Does anyone know anything else about it beyond this? Has anyone attempted to remake it?

Zen

I assume it is no different that the Goetia and the methods to control spirits in it. Perhaps it is a part of the Goetia.

Zen

1 Like

I don’t think it’d be a good idea to use it if you did find it. Same as I don’t think the Solomon techniques are a good idea. You would have to have enough power and be absolutely certain the demon wouldn’t get free from your control lest there be hell to pay for your audacity. You know what I mean?

It would be an interesting read. It would probably contain a lot of secrets about the spirit of Satan and perhaps his true origin and purpose. It also might contain information about other spirits that are not well known.

Zen

1 Like

During the winter of 1520, Rauðskinna was buried with the author. The only way to find it is through magical means. It remind me S. Rob who claim to be able to possess demons in the book SATANIC & DEMONIC COMMAND POWER by Daemonic Dream.

1 Like

Interesting, I will have to give it a look. I am always interested in old grimoires from around the world.

Zen

Raudskinna is icelandic`?

Yes this is a legendary icelandic grimoire.The author of the book was a bishop Gottsálkur Nikolásson (1498-1520’s)… The name of the book means red skin( probably because the runes was written in red (blood?).

Mode note: Preaching and moralising are against the rules here. If this offends your religion, sorry, but please don’t post. One post deleted.

3 Likes

Yes, that is correct. I believe it would be an interesting read if it exists. Although if it does, it probably is in someone’s private collection.

Zen

Hello Mulberry,

I don’t mind people preaching. Maybe I can start a topic for them where they can do such? I personal enjoy the display of passion.

Zen

It appears this was basically the personal grimoire of black mage, and it was buried with him and has long since rotted.

So you have a couple of methods to get the information inside it, necromancy to ask Gottskalk himself, and a lot of research into whatever techniques he would have learned to contribute to his grimoire.

Based on the description, that the book contained a mix of runes and Latin, my guess is he probably created his own rituals based on a mix of runic and xtian magick, probably inverted. My feeling is the power came mainly from the runes, and some from the strength of his faith in xtianity as a current with power.

There’s not a lot online to find easily, they’re all regurgitations of each other and don’t say anything new, and I’m not sure I trust any of them really, or rpg game references.

This ref has a quote from a “folklore story retold by Shaun D. L. Brassfield-Thorpe”, so if you can find that original story, it might have more info.

3 Likes

It is a shame that such knowledge was lost. Were there any known students that would have carried on his work?

Zen

From the 1500s? It’s unlikely, and there’s no mention in the folklore we’ve seen so far that he had students at all, and was very cagey about giving his knowledge from the grave.

That’s why I said your best best is to call him up yourself and ask him, and combine that with study of those two currents to reconstruct what he was trying to do.

To understand this icelandic galdur magic current you can read the Sorcerer’s screed, Runes: The Icelandic Book of Fuþark and books from Strandagaldur like Run - Magic grimoire and Galdrakver,Book of magic among others publication from this compagny. Edred Thorsson and Christopher Alan Smith have also good books to understand old lore and icelandic magic technology.

2 Likes

Hello Mulberry,

I will have to give that a try. On a side note, have you ever considered writing your own grimoire? Kind of a random thought, but you could write one dealing with the legions of Azazel and some lesser-known spirits within it. Maybe a history of the legion, itself.

Zen

1 Like

Hello Serkyr,

Thank you for the recommendations, I will have to give the books a look.

Zen

My stuff is all over the place but that’s a cool idea, maybe for when one of my avenues of research gets enough material to make up a book’s worth :smiley:

1 Like

I read the lore about this grimoir, it made me curious.