Project (Not magick related)

Hello, fellow BALG members! As a project assigned to me for a debate I have to find articles basing my opinion. Being as evil as I am I am going with harsher treatments for prisoners can help them in life and so far what I’m looking into makes sense if applied the right way.
(What I have so far)
" I believe the most effective treatment for criminals would be to give them space and resources that they can use. But they should also be severely punished for anything happening in the prison against the rules, during a long time stay shown in the first article prisoners brains begin to change and think differently depending on how they are treated. Using this if someone is placed in prison for a long period of time and only punished when doing something against the rules they would have a severe punishment but at any time they are behaving will be granted almost normal lives. After prison with their minds changed and tuned like this it should cause an extreme drop in reoccuring crime. "

I already have one article that will help with my opinion and this link is that,

The article goes into what I was talking about but I have yet to find any evidence that somewhat supports my statement as many people nowadays are soft (No offense).

If anyone has any documents they can share with me it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Maybe look into how the most courteous societies happen when people are armed. Get discourteous and you get shot. Doesn’t get harsher than that. Check out documentaries on slab city.

I think anything less and people just get used to it, and it only applies in that environment - as soon as the incarcerated get out, prison rules are no longer relevant and they’ve been ruined, have no skills and no one will hire them anyway…
Frankly, all the possible future punishment punishment doesn’t matter when the choice is ‘eat now, try not to get caught’ vs ‘starve now’.

Also look up - “Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.”

2 Likes

As a proficient editor and also having written a few college thesis, I must say that your format needs work. You are using a negative reinforcement versus positive reinforcement argument. Look for sociology experiments using those terms.

3 Likes

Maybe oftopic but I was serving in the army with several ex prisoners and can give you my opinion after serving with these people. Prison really changes people. As a result of prison there are two types of people. Really honest, hard working and correct persons and the other types huge ass holes and garbages. Maybe it works as some kind of amplifier. If you are good you will be more good if you are bad person you will become very bad. The first type is very beneficial. You can count on these people.
You can find here tons of information if you understand Russian:

2 Likes

I must say that your format needs work. You are using a negative reinforcement versus positive reinforcement argument
[/quote]

I don’t know why this gave me a boner just now.

@Jasonjack30 If your public library has their own website, you might be able to find some articles for your research there, even experiments.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the input! I really appreciate it.
@Mulberry, I searched it up and found this very interesting and will definitely go in.
@Kulina8, I will fix that and hopefully, it will gain your approval.
@huidini, It does seem to amplify the emotions someone feels during prison or towards prison by how they were treated. I could use this showing that if they are respected for the most part they should come out respectful.
@anon80443026, I will search but being the library is mostly kid-friendly books like those level 3 books 9-year-olds read because it is next to a school but your right when it comes to online so I should definitely check there.

I will update it and post it, hope you enjoy!

2 Likes

I meant your school library. It should look something like this:

http://subjectguides.esc.edu/az.php?t=7389

1 Like

I’m looking into both seeing if I could find something, your help is much appreciated.

1 Like

I believe the most effective treatment for criminals would be to give them space and resources that they can use. If the prisoners are given lots of freedom and rehabilitation during a long time stay shown in the first article prisoners brains begin to change and think differently depending on how they are treated. Using this if someone is placed in prison for a long period of time and only punished when doing something against the rules which may be may 3 times a stay they would have a punishment but at any time they are behaving will be granted almost normal lives on prison grounds. In fact, they may even be better.

After prison, the prisoner’s minds will be tuned to believe that they will always be happy if they behave which is true as they will not be punished and their reputation will not be tarnished any further, the new mindset should cause an extreme drop in criminal re-occurrence in ex-prisoners. Prison seems to magnify how people feel about it into the real world so if someone has a bad prison experience they are most likely going to offend again.

Punishments that do happen should be of normal caliber and not something such as death upon crime. Places that practice this have the problem of people realizing after they commit a crime they will be killed anyway so decide to keep their criminal activities escalating until they are caught and killed “Might as well be hanged for a goat as a lamb,” Is a saying justifying one committing a bigger crime for a smaller one.

1 Like

See you tomorrow