Practicing LHP black magick and mental problems:Bad idea or not?

Greetings all and sundry, VITRIOL DCCLXXXVII here with a concern that I am sure has been voiced here time and again but I require the advice and collective wisdom of this community. I have recently begun seriously practicing LHP black magick but I also suffer from anxiety and depression. It is the opinion of some that practicing such magick is dangerous for one such as me. But I am wondering if that is true. I feel that some of my current spiritual work will be able to help me raise myself from my negative mindset. Iā€™m not expecting a god or daemonic spirit or Holy Guardian Angel or what have you will just swoop in and save me from myself and make me a more positive person overnight with no effort of my own. I know one must prove oneā€™s own strength in order to gain assistance from self-respecting entities and I embrace that fully. My concern is my ability to perform magick as I am now. I truly hope that first overcoming my mental health issues is not a requirement for walking down the path I have chosen. I have suffered anxiety and depression for most of my life and ā€œovercomingā€ them could take quite a while, years even. I am not expecting wonders but practicing my chosen faith gives me strength when nothing else does and I really do not wish to give it up. As usual, any insight and advice offered by fellow members is greatly appreciated.
Deepest blessings to everyone,

Tenebris Dominus Nadir

5 Likes

No, it is not dangerous, provided you back off when symptoms seem to get worse, as there are some currents, like necromancy, that can increase depression and suicidal ideation.

I myself have depression and anxiety and magick has done nothing but help me.

8 Likes

My advice with magic in particular new practioners, donā€™t do it until you are ready. Magic has very real consequences and should be treated appropriately.

Whether you are working through some deeply intense internal workings, or living with depression and trying to figure out how that fits into your practice.

Our hardest work only makes us stronger, but make sure that you have what you need in order to do it safely, emotionally and mentally.

I know people with depression and anxiety. There are days where it feels impossible to pull themselves out of bed, or when they wake up so anxious that they are sick. There are a lot of posts that list ways in which you can do low-energy work, check out the sites search engine.

If you want to make substantial change in yourself and in the world then you need to do substantial work for it. Work smarter, not harder. Sometimes there are things that only you can do because of your experiences and that is magical. But if you feel depressed or anxious try to solve those problems first before casting, meditate, focus, when your are not depressed and than perform a ritual in the right frame of mind.

4 Likes

No, its a great idea, provided you are honest with yourself and back off on magic that seems to be making it worse. So much stuff I had to stop doing, that is how I ended up working with certain entities and not others.
Donā€™t go by others experiences and expect it will turn out the same for you like a recipe in a cookbook. Make your own judgements about who you should work with and how you should work and how it is effecting you.

2 Likes

Nothing too harsh occurring but I am a little intimidated by spiritual entities now residing with me. Iā€™m a bit paranoid about it and sleep with the bathroom and kitchen lights on lately. I welcome Lilithā€™s energy and that of one of her daughters (at least I think it might be a succubus) but I have made a pact with the Goetia daemon Sitri and his energy unnerves me a bit. I have felt some so-called ā€œdemonic oppressionā€ but I am still respectful to all spirits around me and it has in no way turned me away from the LHP. Santa Muerte does calm me and balance me a bit though. She has a very nurturing energy.

2 Likes

Embrace thee energy of how you feel in the moment. Expand on it, find a way to turn your weaknesses into strengths. This always helps me. For instance, when Iā€™m getting too lazy and unmotivated, I tap into the forces of stagnancy aend I summon the swamp gods aend volcano gods to bring me up to speed on thee most empowering aspects of the swamp and volcano current,see?

Tap into the dark draconian powers of your depressive aspects and find inspiration in the suffering. Use your mythological prowess to open neurological gateways through synchronous constellating of association matrices.

Cursed bee.

4 Likes

My main goal right now is to find a romantic partner. I have become quite lonely but I struggle a bit socially due to anxiety and low self-esteem. I know that daemonic entities can help out in that arena and that is what I have been entreating them to do for me. I know some practitioners of the LHP summon incubi or succubi as sexual partners but its not something I have any interest in. No disrespect to spirits, but I am human and want a human partner.

1 Like

Thanks, very good advice. Stagnation magick is something I am actually trying to develop and work on. I evoke and invoke Tiamat quite often and see her as the matron of the nadir, the lowest point, the sewer, the swamp all things that resonate with me. I also see a connection with the Shinto concept of kegare, the unclean or profane. I actually work with a lot of mythological monsters on my own unique path, especially hybrids like chimaeras and manticores. Draconian energies resonate with me. I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a child as well as dragons.

1 Like

Fuck yeah Dragon medicine. The draggin of time. I use the dragon tarot.

1 Like

I feel that many of the Infernal Majesties possess a draconian aspect. Samael was once a giant winged serpent made of lightning (one of the seraphim actually.)

1 Like

What sets me apart from the masses is that I know that Iā€™m fucked in the head! You can certainly use anxiety and depression or mental illness Magickally. A lot of Magick relies upon ā€˜sleight of mindā€™ or ā€˜mind fuckā€™ techniques.

Al.

4 Likes

Maybe work with gods who deal with moderation of emotions, such as Leviathan.

1 Like

Interestingā€¦ something we have in common. Though I prefer the words beasts or creatures, but hey to each their oun.

1 Like

As a prerequisite to exist within the types of societies we all do you must share in the same mental diseases as the majority ā€“ you must be fucked in the head just like them. This is why antinomianism is such an essential part of the lhp, whatever type of society you exist within. I recommend putting a zap on your head as fundamental. Going against the flow and breaking bounds toughens and strengthens an individual. There is also both much important and common knowledge waiting to be viewed and therefore applied differently.

Al.

3 Likes

Agreed. Iā€™ve always been one for going against the grain for as long as I can remember.

1 Like

As @lawclerk said.

Donā€™t do anything until YOU are ready.

Things can easily go wrong with rituals and spellwork.

Hereā€™s an example;
You use King Paimon to obtain something.
You donā€™t obtain it for over a month, but your paranoia is kicking in and you think youā€™re seeing entities in your home. This makes your paranoia worse.

This is a very mild example.

However, if youā€™re ready - go for it.

Better yet - perform magick in order to rid yourself of the mental issues, or help them eliviate, anyway. Similar to what @DarkestKnight said, how it helped the issues

2 Likes

Yes i found it helped my recovery. Butafter beginning with Azazel i have been confronted with things that have previously delt with. The challenge for me is realising that still there; a bit distracting but not crippling anymore. I guess thats the lesson Azazel wants me to realise.
Ultimately thge benefits of working in LHP has helped me more than being in the middle. Iā€™ve never liked being told that I canā€™t and should just sit down :blush:. Belial helped ne get rid of fear ridiculous fears. All in all im going to experience something more than the ā€œhuman conditionā€ā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s exactly whatā€™s happening with me right now but with Sitri instead of King Paimon. Iā€™ve heard Sitri can be pretty sinister, not like taking oneā€™s soul sinister but mischievous and a bit cruel.

I wish something would contact me directly but Iā€™ve had no such luck. I might have been physically touched by a spirit but thatā€™s as far as it gone. I donā€™t even know if I have an infernal patron but Lilith is special to me.

1 Like

Maybe depression, anxiety is part of the process of creation ā€¦ (or transmutation) otherwise we consider magic as an art. After all, some artists (poets, painters etc.) had mental health problems and addictions. And some occultists too ā€¦ Crowley, Spare etc. Mental illnesses for me are part of the Trail.

1 Like

Do you work with Asenath Masonā€™s book?