Practical purpose for offerings unto the Gods

We must come to understand that the energy we need to survive exists all around us. However at this point in our evolutionary process we can not simply absorb the energy, though certain practitioners of Buddhism and other such traditions have (through certain techniques) achieved this feat. It tends to happen during extended periods of meditation. However… these people to a large extent still rely on food and water.

So in essence the food we eat and the water we drink are simply vehicles for the energy we need to survive. From our perspective this rings true. Therefore that is exactly what these things are due to our presuppositions when used as offerings to the Gods. They are simply vehicles of energy that the spirit can rely on for manifestation. We think we are feeding it so we do, and therefore the spirit can fuel our desire in return. It is our intent and subconscious “knowing” of this fact that allows them to work. The offerings are usually specific to the spirit being worked with to create a more specific gateway of resonance. I know from experience that any offering will work if the correct intent and strength thereof is funneled into the offerings. In fact to begin with using such simple things as bread and water will help train the adept to funnel such energy and intent. In this way by the time one begins studying which offerings are specific to the spirits the results can be much more intense and refined.

This is why simply putting offerings out may not suffice. Consecration of the offerings is a must because the aethyric double of the offering must be assigned a purpose just as any other instrument of magick and/or sorcery. This is the practical reason for consecration in the first place. You are filling a lifeless blade with intent and purpose which brings it to life for example, when consecrating the athame. The more you use the tool, the more the aethyric double of that object is charged. It becomes a battery which accumulates energy which can then supplement the energy raised within the magickal rite itself.

Offerings in the same way reciprocate energy between you and the spirit summoned. However I feel it should be assigned to do so. Their is a common denominator pointed out here which is often overlooked. When you see it though… it is easier to see the practical reason for these things. Then it is easier to see that offerings made unto the spirit are also offerings unto ones self due to the reciprocal nature of the energy. Offerings like all magickal tools are a means to further refine your intent or act as gateways to weave the aethyr according to desire.

2 Likes

Very good post. Any thoughts on immaterial offerings? I think through the process of dedication and intent this could be of even greater value to the spirits as it’s a continues awareness process. I’m not directly aiming at pact-making, more at a spontanious act of goodwill, presenting the values of yourself in connection to the non physical energy out there. I’ve noticed that an altar constantly reminds you of the deed when you are confronted with it, as in just seeing it, but if you set your mind to a certain behaviour or dedication, it would mean more to yourself and to the spirit world in my opinion.

It’s not necessary to consecrate offerings. I am an houngan and I make regular offerings to the spirits. What is most important is to properly present the offering to the spirit, and that is it. You can literally pull food out of the oven, present it to the spirit, and it will be accepted. If the spirit does not accept the offering (which almost never happens) it can mean that you did not properly present the food to the spirit or that it does not care for what is being offered (again very very rare).

But as for consecratign an offering? Completely unnecessary.

Consecration as in intent behind the offering… it is necessary. When you speak of consecration like “formally” no it is not. The thing is that it is the energy or the sacrifice which is invested into the offering. I mean what else is their for the spirit to accept? For instance if I leave a plate of lasagna out for lets say… Baal, the lasagna is still going to be there the next day. It feeds off of the energy invested into the offering. This is well known. This is what creates the gateway for contact.

1 Like

However you are right if you mean you do not have to pass it and bless it with each elemental tool and cleanse it with Holy water. Food out of the oven for instance… cooking it would in many ways be the process of consecration. You are investing energy along with intent that the spirit will see as a beacon. The more energy you put into it the better. This is what starts the process of reciprical energy. A frozen pizza will work much less than lets say cigars and rum with pork chops for Qayin, along with Dark Chocolate in quantities of 13. See what I am trying to point out?

[quote=“granchemin, post:3, topic:4573”]It’s not necessary to consecrate offerings. I am an houngan and I make regular offerings to the spirits. What is most important is to properly present the offering to the spirit, and that is it. You can literally pull food out of the oven, present it to the spirit, and it will be accepted. If the spirit does not accept the offering (which almost never happens) it can mean that you did not properly present the food to the spirit or that it does not care for what is being offered (again very very rare).

But as for consecratign an offering? Completely unnecessary.[/quote]

I see what you mean granchemin, my experience with the hoodoo culture has tought me that you are dealing with a different kind of spirit. This isn’t based on my knowledge from stories on the internet or from literature, but a good Haitian friend of mine who’s deeply into your scene has told me this. He told me it’s a totally different world of magick, that you can’t compare it to the angels/demons/spirits from the western culture and the aproach magicians would have on those entities.

I’m sure you’re right if you’re dealing with entities from the vodoun culture, as they are 24/7 involved in your life, observing every step you take. As to the evocation of ‘western’ spirits it might be valuable to take it to a deeper extend, and show your dedication on an intense level as we’re talking about ‘moments’ of energy, in which consecrating offerings wouldn’t be a bad thing to show your involvement. After all it’s the energy which makes the impossible possible right, even if it’s a mental approach, couldn’t harm to put your soul into it the way Pom Draconis described.

My approach to spirit closely mirrors the approach in ADR’s. I have involvement with both western and ADR spirits and treat them in the same way. It is only necessary to present the offerings with words like, “I offer you this water/candle/chaplet/etc.” and place the offerings upon their altar, place of power, or whatever. Nothing elaborate is needed at all.
The most basic offerings are water and bread/candle. All my spirits get that regularly. Anything more, on a weekly basis, is due to their demands. For example, my Exus get cigars and cachaça. Satan gets rum and cigar in addition to water and light. Some spirits, like Saint Cyprian/São Cipriano desire nothing more than bread and water. I don’t need to put any more energy into it than “Here Spirit, here is your offering.”

Do you think the initiation that houngans undergo maybe makes the difference?

Okay… I will simplify my point. I feel their is a misunderstanding in regard to what I am saying. Maybe because I made it sound elaborate for the sake of looking at the function of the offerings. My point is simply that offerings are tool for us to use. Like anything else. Any offering will do if one can funnel the energy and intent. To say “Here spirit, here is your offering” is a kind of consecration. Especially for the seasoned witch or sorcerer. Just leaving a piece of bread on Qayins altar while you are putting on your underwear will not work though. If one gives offerings which further resonate with the entity results can be more refined when you understand the mechanics of the offering and its purpose. That’s all.

In other words it is helpful to do it as an act of magick separating it from the mundane world that the realm of spirit can accept the offering. Without this it is putting food out to waste. Just like my neighbor can light a pink candle yet not manifest love. If I do it, and I do; it is because I set that candle apart from the mundane realm. I gave it purpose and function. The candle itself does not do the work.

I hope that clears things up. Who knows? Maybe this is my own view that works for me. In regard to Haitan traditions like Voudon… I can’t speak in regard to those. I am ignorant in egard to them.

1 Like

Do you think the initiation that houngans undergo maybe makes the difference?[/quote]

No even the uninitiated don’t need to consecrate offerings. An offering is consecrated the moment you give ot to the spirit.

Read the Legemeton, it gives instructions on to feed the spirits and there is no mention of consecration because it is an unnecessary step. Feeding spirits is a reward for work or maintenance for a relationship. And yes, even before I was an houngan dealing with the Lwa, I would feed the goetic spirits in a similar fashion. Present offerings to the spirit, leave it out for twenty four hours, and then bury the offering if you can or throw it out separately,

I think OP you are over complicating a very simple process, probably because he has never fed a spirit and is speaking from a theoretical point of view.

Do you think the initiation that houngans undergo maybe makes the difference?[/quote]

No even the uninitiated don’t need to consecrate offerings. An offering is consecrated the moment you give ot to the spirit.

Read the Legemeton, it gives instructions on to feed the spirits and there is no mention of consecration because it is an unnecessary step. Feeding spirits is a reward for work or maintenance for a relationship. And yes, even before I was an houngan dealing with the Lwa, I would feed the goetic spirits in a similar fashion. Present offerings to the spirit, leave it out for twenty four hours, and then bury the offering if you can or throw it out separately,

I think OP you are over complicating a very simple process, probably because he has never fed a spirit and is speaking from a theoretical point of view.[/quote]

Irony is quoting a book as proof of your point, then accusing OP of being an armchair magician.

I was doing this stuff long before I had any idea what the Lemegeton was, so most of my practice is what came naturally to me at various stages.

What I’ve always done is place my right hand over an offering, and say “I cast out from this any impurities, and bless it for the purpose that it’s given” or words like that, it gets done several times a day on average so the words kind of shift, they’re not set in stone.

And I do something similar with my own food and drink, though not out loud and I don’t make a drama of it if it’s in public, no blasting rods and calling on the Most High to bless this drink in the middle of Starbucks or anything… actually, I should probably do that oen day for the laughs. :slight_smile:

I don’t remember when I started doing this but can’t remember a time when I didn’t do it, definitely by the time I was a young teenager and old enough to cook things for myself.

If I’m outside, I’ll also pour a drop of whatever I’m drinking onto the earth when it’s possible, and not going to cause any spectacle.

IMHO, the OP and granchemin are saying the same thing, only differently. Any time we do something purposefully, there is intent behind it. As you’re putting together your offering, you know why you’re doing it (the intent). Placing it on the altar is the expression of will, and any words or thoughts you say, focus that will. This, in essence, “consecrates” the offering automatically by giving it the energy required. Or I could be wrong…

Armchair magickian huh? LMAO! Look, I was simply sharing my thoughts. I do not need to prove myself. I know who I am. I have hundreds of photos of manifestation in my temple. Some I posted on this forum. Arguing semantics is useless. My energy is retained for more important matters. It is like money. You either spend power or invest it. Results… that is all that matters in the end. Titles and traditions mean Zilch to me. I am never impressed by such things.

I think OP you are over complicating a very simple process, probably because he has never fed a spirit and is speaking from a theoretical point of view.[/quote]

Irony is quoting a book as proof of your point, then accusing OP of being an armchair magician.[/quote]

Irony being that I have worked the grimoires and have long standing pacts with grimoire spirits.

Yeah real irony.

I was doing this stuff long before I had any idea what the Lemegeton was, so most of my practice is what came naturally to me at various stages.[/quote]

The problem starts with the idea that your food is somehow impure. Now, if you or the person who prepared the food spent time brooding over it I can see a reason to do so.

What is impressive is one can trade ideas without making assumptions in regard to someone they do not even know. I consecrate my offerings. It works for me. I pull light through my crown and Zael chakra and put it into the offerings and state… " By the power of almighty self I consecrate this offering to appease my allies in the realm of spirit. (Name of spirit) receive this blessing that I may recieve yours." Then they come screeching and howling into the temple. If you do not like it that’s okay. I could really care less what Christian Grimoire you read. I write my own tomes through my own experience. When one leaves the paths of men the Gods step in to guide.

Armchair magickian this! Abwahahahaha!

[url=http://becomealivinggod.com/forum/general-discussion/photos-of-manifestation-within-my-temple/msg57008/#msg57008]http://becomealivinggod.com/forum/general-discussion/photos-of-manifestation-within-my-temple/msg57008/#msg57008[/url]

If what I’ve spent many years doing, which my spirits all seem to appreciate, suddenly starts being somehow a problem, I’ll bear that in mind. :wink:

We all seem to have different approaches here - since this ISN’T a religion, just all of us doing what’s most empowering and meaningful for us, arguing about what’s best past a certain point is a bit silly IMO…

1 Like

You don’t actually need to put anything into the offerings. To quote Satan, “We know what the offerings are for, we know their virtues even if you do not.” I never put any energy into it, I never cleanse offerings at all. It’s a totally unnecessary step.
If you want to do it, that’s your practice, but to consecrate like that is just extra stuff.