Pagan Gods, Intelligences, Powers books or authors?

I feel i might find better connection with a different approach then judeo-christian one.
I found an author called Hecateus Apuliensis and another called David Thompson both supposedly specialzed in hellenic/roman pagansim.
Any info on them? Are they reliable?
If you have any other author or book suggestion i’d really appreciate.
Thanks for all the help y’all giving me.

I don’t know those authors myself, but Dr Skinner wrote a book on Greek magick that I do have, I respect his work and maybe you’d like it too.
If you look up Glitch Bottle on yt I think they interviewed him and in that he talks about it.

Helios Unbound by Nick Farrell has been talked about favourable here as well.

Hermes and Hekate are popular and if you look them up you’ll find a lot of work that involved them, the other gods not as much, at least not on here yet.

1 Like
1 Like

Is it true the rumor about Damon Brand being Stephen Skinner?

I have not read any of his works either but I have heard very highly of his work.

Where is this rumour? And how would we know? But considering some of the topics I’ve seen Dr Skinner write on, I doubt it.

If you just read their books you can see the style of thinking and writing, even worldviews are so different, this really just sounds silly.

Are his books about a more ceremonial magick?

Dr Stephen Skinner? He’s a more ceremonial magickian and his Goetic books use Solomonic techniques.

“Techniques of Graeco Egyptian Magic” is a very detailed survey of the historical methods and culture of magick at the time, but it’s not like a modern grimoire that’s like a step by step instruction manual.

It’s up to you the practitioner to design your ritual around what you want to do, and the ideas and tables in this book given proven formulae.

This is a more scholarly approach to detailing the subject of hellenic/roman magick and to use, it I would say, requires at least a basic knowledge of magick and some experience under your belt already. It’s instructive if you already know how to employ the ideas.

If you preferred a more romantic approach, I’d actually start with the stories and myths instead. The Iliad and the Odyssey is a must read in this case to get the best idea of how these peoples understood their gods and the kind of magick practiced.

1 Like

I’ll reformulate my question.
Techniques of Graeco Egyptian Magic contains ritualistic methods which implies complex procedures, instruments, robes?

Define “ritualistic method”.

In the sense of, a “method” is not a “work instruction”, so, as I said, it’s not a “how to” in the modern way of writing numbered instructions. But I would say yes, it describes the methods as they exist in the referenced grimoires. I could use this to design rituals.

For example:

p 247: (this is about scrying)

“Lecanomancy is first recorded in the Babylonian Ritual Tablets (7th Century BCE):
Cypress: fine flour he shall pour out, oil on the libation he shall put, an offering he shall pour out, oil on the water of the vessel he shall put, of Samas and Hadad, the great gods he shal inquire. When the omen and the oil are faultless the great gods come near and judge a judgement of justce and righteousness… the diviner shall look upon the oil in the water…”

(Note: it doesn’t tell you what kind of vessel, oil or offerings, or how to inquire, you make that up for yourself, and the gods are today called Shemyasza and Ba’al Hadad. A greek version he also says would call Aphrodite and use a bronze bowl with writing in myrhh ink, waxed over, he oil is olive oil, but again, doesn’t tell you how to scry, you must know already.)