On the Practice of Offerings

If you work with spirits, you can benefit from giving offerings. No matter your path, should the spirits walk with you, offerings can help you. Herein I will disclose what giving offerings can do for you, “basic” offerings to leave for a variety of spirits, and some variations on the normal concept of offerings that are sure to get some gears in your head turning.

So.

Why Offer?

There’s a helpful way to remember why you should give offerings to the spirits you work with. They’re the “three tos”, so have fun with that, especially the fact that they become six numerically:

• To empower
  • To pay
  • To configure

I’ll go over each of these.

Empower:

Offerings will empower the spirits you give them to, naturally, and increase their connection with the physical world. This allows not only for them to perform at heightened levels of power, but with this world bending more to their will, a joint partnership between you and the spirit will see an increase in efficacy.

Pay:

Due to the nature of offerings being things the spirit enjoys, or things that empower the spirit, offerings are naturally a great way to pay a spirit for a job well done. Spirits that seek offerings as payment may be after increased power and physical influence, or they may yearn to taste the delicacies of this world again. This is generally negotiable.

Configure:

First, let me say that not only do all of these reasons also apply to the loi of Vodun, but that this category may specifically be found in Vodun workings and spirits but not necessarily exclusively. Offerings with the intent to configure the spirit will change how it functions, either slightly or massively, if the spirit accepts it. This is the most partner-oriented reason to give offerings, as some spirits will shift between hot and cool forms with the reception of corresponding offerings. This is why some spirits get “heated up” and others “cooled off”. In specific cases of engineering, a string of configure-based offerings may unlock unusual forms and powers in the spirit.

So, that’s some of the reasons you’d give offerings to spirits you work with. It makes them work more efficiently, which means you can work more efficiently.

Basic Offerings

Below are a list of things that virtually any spirit will accept as an offering. Note that some may not accept any of these, however, those instances are very rare and not in most spirits you’ll see on this forum.

Here’s the list:

• Purple votive candle, full burn.
  • Glass (yes, glass) of cool water.
  • Sweet tobacco.
  • Rum.
  • (corresponding animal) Bones.
  • Service (“scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours”).
  • Your blood (not advised, generally, unless you’re well connected with the spirit).
  • Your craftsmanship (I mean specifically if you’ve built or painted or written something, it can [u]not[/u] get destroyed or lost if the spirit is to be offered it).

But as you can see towards the end of this list, and those of you who received my chimeras know, there are some pretty weird offerings you can feasibly give to spirits. Let’s go a bit deeper into that, hm?

The Possibilities of Power

What is an offering, really?

The answer is deceptively simple:

It is when you reach out and shake hands with spirit.

What I mean by this is that an offering is really a bridge, and yet at the same time a stone in a much bigger bridge. An offering will allow the spirit some additional influence in this world, and eventually with enough offerings they’ll be fed enough to be virtually as solid as men.

As such, there’s a few different ways this can come into reality. The key is that it has to allow the spirit some influence on this world. This is why sacrifices were so often used as offerings, because make no mistake, there is no offering quite like murder. I mean this literally, in that the moment of death, which may be offered to a spirit, more energy is released that the spirit could use than any other single offering.

But…

See, you don’t necessarily have to sacrifice anything. It is the dedication of the moment of death to the spirit, with authority (that usually comes from being the killer), that allows them access. How does one get that authority without being the killer, however? The answer is declaration.

Yes, you can quite literally perform an invocation of the entity you want the death to “go to” in order to feed the spirit.

But that’s not the only unconventional method of offering. Keeping in mind the purpose of offerings, that is, to bridge, you can perform a similar invocation as the “death minister” style above on virtually anything- a tree, a house, a car, etc. Then that object belongs to the spirit, and in cases of large objects being offered, generally only things you own will work as sacrifices.

There is also another way to create an offering, and that is to allow for a temporary cohabitation of the same body. This is equivalent to being a “horse” in Vodun in a more conscious, precise, and useful way. By offering the spirit equal partnership of your body for a duration of time, not only do you naturally become more intimate with the spirit, but they become more aware of the human condition and all of its dizzying implications.

This concludes the segment. Any questions, class? :wink:

24 Likes

So, you dont have to kill a specific being to offer it…you can say line the spirit up with the kill ?

Oh, do we have to raise our hand first? :slight_smile:

What about food offerings? Do they fall in the same category of the “virtualy any spirit will accept” offerings? If so what types of food are more “popular” among spirits or does each one of them like different kinds of food?

5 Likes

Sometimes, we cannot afford to have offerings lying around, or have permanent altars to speak of. While the time period for the spirit to use/consume the offering tends to vary per spirit, but how long would you say is an “ideal” time?

And I assume the entity’s presence is what impacts its speed of consumption the most. A jinn would eat it faster than an angel, a god like Thoth more than a deity that was just discovered, etc.

The configuration thing, different offerings corresponding to different aspects, is this Damballah, having his Petwo and Rada aspect? I’ve only worked with the latter, and is it okay(even by Damballah’s voice) that you share the offerings for the Petwo aspect?

Finally, how does cohabitation work for an oversoul, or current, or something very large and stuff?

2 Likes

[quote=“Eye_of_Ra, post:2, topic:9155”]So, you dont have to kill a specific being to offer it…you can say line the spirit up with the kill ?

Oh, do we have to raise our hand first? :-)[/quote]

Yes, and no.

No, food offerings are different. Certain groups of spirits will have certain peculiarities in regards to the foods they consume. It is wise to ask first. Some will like meat, some will not, some will like plants, some will not.

24 hours.

And I assume the entity's presence is what impacts its speed of consumption the most. A jinn would eat it faster than an angel, a god like Thoth more than a deity that was just discovered, etc.

Sure.

The configuration thing, different offerings corresponding to different aspects, is this Damballah, having his Petwo and Rada aspect? I've only worked with the latter, and is it okay(even by Damballah's voice) that you share the offerings for the Petwo aspect?

Not just Damballah, but yes. And no.

Finally, how does cohabitation work for an oversoul, or current, or something very large and stuff?

“If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen…”

1 Like

Psst… Psst…Arcane whats an oversoul? :slight_smile:

What would be the benefit of using a glass cup of water over a cup or chalice of another material?

The wine i leave on my altar keeps turning to blood. So what does that mean? Its done it a few times now with two different kinds of wine.
But the last time i did it …i heard very clearly “when the wine turns to blood the curse is done”
So whats that all about?

2 Likes

[quote=“arianna, post:8, topic:9155”]The wine i leave on my altar keeps turning to blood. So what does that mean? Its done it a few times now with two different kinds of wine.
But the last time i did it …i heard very clearly "when the wine turns to blood the curse is done"
So whats that all about? [/quote]

It could be a mold that grew in your wine, or perhaps glamour. I suggest you taste test, unless you have open sores or cuts in your mouth there’s nothing dangerous about consuming wine that is old or turned to blood.

In the Catholic tradition, wine turning to blood is a common miracle used to support the belief of transubstantiation, that is that Christ is truly and fully present in the bread and wine of the Eucharist. All Catholic miracle wine-to-blood has all been AB+ blood, and any time that hosts (the bread) turn into flesh it’s always heart muscles with AB+ blood.

Because of this, it’s a common belief that Jesus’ blood type is AB+. Which is symbolic because AB+ blood is known as a universal receptor, it can receive all kinds of blood, but it can only be given to other AB blood types, and therefore, Jesus is the universal receiver of all mankind into his divine body, the Church. Though, he himself, cannot be received into anyone else’s body without damaging them.

I digress, you should find out what the wine is turning into, because that’s neat.

3 Likes

Yea it is pretty neat. Ive just been too chicken to taste it. I did take pictures though :slight_smile:

I just moved so I had to let it go. So if it does happen again. I shall find the courage to taste.

But I hope that the spirits wont consider it rude?

You can buy protein test strips online (in the UK anyway) via Ebay - they’re for people with illnesses or who are pregnant to test their urine.

Get a baseline on clean wine, and then test this maybe? :slight_smile:

I don’t blame you for not wanting to taste this and if it was offered, then tasting it afterwards may be unwise, unless the spirit okays it.

Bumping my question.

[quote=“arianna, post:10, topic:9155”]Yea it is pretty neat. Ive just been too chicken to taste it. I did take pictures though :slight_smile:

I just moved so I had to let it go. So if it does happen again. I shall find the courage to taste.

But I hope that the spirits wont consider it rude?[/quote]

Can we see the pic?

[quote=“Paulden, post:13, topic:9155”][quote=“Eye_of_Ra, post:10, topic:9155”]Yea it is pretty neat. Ive just been too chicken to taste it. I did take pictures though :slight_smile:

But I hope that the spirits wont consider it rude?[/quote]

Can we see the pic?[/quote]
https://s23.postimg.org/chdb4c3gr/1229162209a.jpg

From what I can tell, glass is the most spiritual of all materials, excluding natural objects like rocks or crystals. It is like “astral rock” in a sense and as such is a bridge. This is why mirrors are an incredibly important invention for occultists.

4 Likes

Thank you for clearing that up. I was curious because I have an assortment of cups and chalices made of glass, rock, pewter and silver. I’m looking for a few nice crystal cups or goblets.

Yup, that looks like blood.

well one time I gave a honorable welcome offering after evocation of selected music tracks and danced and prasied whom I called for I felt that was a good thing

2 Likes

Why is blood not advised?

I always go all out with offerings. There’s wine, which I consume as well, and three gold plates, one containing a variety of foods/drinks, the second containing objects such as coins, trinkets, statues, herbs, oils, etc., and the third with a bowl of my blood. Sometimes semen, sometimes both, blood more often than not.

The wine and the contents of the three bowls is then buried after the ritual never to be touched again.

It could also be said that the incense smoke is, in itself, an offering.

But I digress, why do you not advise blood?

^blood, especially your own, forms a link with the spirit that is very difficult to break.

You would have that spirit with you 24/7 for the rest of your life, which is not always a good idea, especially as you’ll tend to take on their qualities without realizing it.

Being Belial at the DMV for instance would be problematic (Think of the children :0)

10 Likes