Oils (magick type, of course)

Did you officially study as a herbalist? I might have a lot of questions I found an online site that has “lessons”.

Yes. I trained both as an aromatherapist (certified, though I have to submit my case studies/paper for clinical aromatherapy) and worked my way through most of the herbal immersion program at the Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine (its been a challenge living in a city to do some of the exercises). Plus I’ve taken dozens of other courses and workshops on aromatherapy, perfuming, herbalism, and everything else you can throw in there. =)

4 Likes

It depends on the citrus oils - some are fine and others like Bergamot are highly phototoxic, but you can get FCF bergapten free Bergamot, which removes the phytochemical that makes it phototoxic. Expressed Lime is phototoxic, but distilled lime essential oil isn’t.

1 Like

I have seen some nasty burns I think lemon was the cause of one of them. I Have seen the bergamot burns too. Some of the bottles of oils I have have the warning too. I need to see what citrus is In It. I don’t really wear the citrus stuff. But I remember the pictures. I was like that looks horrible.

Oh I know. I did an Essential Oil Safety Master Class with Robert Tisserand. Some of it depends on sticking to the dermal limits of the oil and always mixing it with a carrier oil. I think Sweet Orange Essential Oil is fine, but Bitter Orange Essential Oil is phototoxic. I have charts somewhere because I am kinda safety obsessed.

1 Like

I was going to say I think sweet organs is safe. I am also safety obsessed I have a ton of animals so I even have all the animal safety charts too. I would love to see what I can learn from you too.

1 Like

Respect. I am very impressed.

2 Likes

Drop me a message, I can send you a link to my blog and YouTube channel as I write about the topics a lot. I’d post the link, but I think promoting stuff like that goes against community standards

1 Like

Thank you! I also love that the Essential Oil Safety book doubles a weapon that thing is heavy AF. lol

1 Like

Lol and YW! But I have seen other members post links to their youtube channels. I thought that was okay…either way can you PM me too?

1 Like

Ok. I wasn’t sure. I know some forums and groups frown on it. All my links are on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/jennifervatza

(If not… Mods, please accept my humble apologies and feel free to delete the link)

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone for sharing.
And special thanks for the book list and sharing the channel.

Now I have a place to start. I can get a decent foundation and from there make sure I am purchasing and then doing the right things.

Here is one more question regarding this part of the discussion:
“FCF bergapten free Bergamot”

Is bergapten a part of the plant? If so, does removing part of the plant lessen its abilities? OR is it more like turning Coca into cocaine, you take the active part of the plant, condense it, and get rid of the stuff that won’t help you get high, or, in our case, perform the magick you want.
I am interested, even though I probably don’t have the background to really understand or appreciate the answer.

1 Like

Bergapten is one of many phytochemicals present in Bergamot, its predominantly d-limonene, b-pinene, linalool, and linalyl acetate. Most plants can contain trace amounts of dozens if not hundreds of different chemicals. Bergapten is just the particular chemical that makes it phototoxic.

Here is an example of a GC/MS report that shows all the chemicals and percentages for each that are in Bergamot. This particular one is not bergapten free though https://www.planttherapy.com/test_reports/Bergamot%20Organic%20BQ0100.pdf

You got a 13 minute video. From the title it sounds like it is perfect for this question. Thanks

1 Like

I get that question a lot so I had to make a video about it… that one is more specific just different ways to use them. I also have gotten more into product safety in other ones since that’s my jam. Which reminds me that I need to stop procrastinating and do some video editing.

I will for sure be messaging you soon. Thank you so
Much!

1 Like

thnx a lot :smiley: :smiley:

1 Like

So I stopped by (on the internet) Belladonna Botanicals. I was hoping to find some sort of all purpose, Van Van, type oil. Even though i watched the video and know that your concoctions/potions are pretty targeted, and it was unlikely you would have it. So I went over to the Etsy store and it was the same.

Anyway, just to be absolutely certain, I will ask, do you have a general purpose, Van Van type oil or even a soap I could use in the shower (in my house baths are really not possible, even though there is a tub)

1 Like

Its been on my list of things to make for the past 4-5 months. I have the formulation done and everything. My new product to do list is usually about 100 items deep, but I can bump it up the priority and make some this week.

I hadn’t anticipated the dramatic spike in online sales since the quarantine so I’ve mostly been restocking and restocking and since my assistants can’t come over and help, I’m doing it all myself right now.

Van Van oil is used for luck, block buster, road opener, and success type of work so anything of the Fast Luck, Bring Back Luck, Crown of Success, Blockbuster, or Road Opener type would work well in substitution.

1 Like