My thoughts on the Nephillim:

What if the Nephillim were helping humanity grow just the the Grigori. What if they helped build some of our Ancient structures at the Flood was used to wipe them out because of fear that the three groups would form an alliance stronger than Steel?

I just had this thought, I am probably wrong.

2 Likes

I suppose it’s possible. However, I have a (so far unproven) theory that the Flood was just a natural disaster and not the result of the wrath of a singular entity.

If you’ve ever seen the aftermath of a hurricane or a tsunami, you’d know what I’m talking about.

4 Likes

The story of the Nephilim is nothing but a mythology about a god being scared of the power of someone else, and so seeks to destroy them so they cannot threaten its dominion. Using a flood to do it makes sense because it was likely the most common natural disaster in ancient times, and the people who invented the mythology had probably experienced one at some point.

However, it is not the only myth about the gods destroying someone who had the potential to threaten them. The Greeks had a similar myth that when Zeus created the first humans, we had two faces, four arms and four legs and over time, Zeus became scared of our power, and so he split us in two, creating the two sexes (and, inadvertently, the New Age mythology of soul mates). According to that myth, we are forever seeking our other half to become whole again and thus, no longer a threat to the gods.

5 Likes

There also is archeological evidence that there actually was catastrophic flooding in the middle east, so once you have that level of natural disaster, it’s standard for people to write stories about why it might of happened.

4 Likes

I tend not to believe the one about Zeus. I recall a Hindu Priest mentioning this story but mentioning the Abrahmic God.

So it wasn’t true? Sounded like a fun story though.

1 Like

Seems like it spread to India too since Hindu Mythology speaks lf it.

1 Like

Floods are common in certain parts of India, especially during monsoon season. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where they got their stories from.

2 Likes

That makes sense. I think it had something to do with the Ice Age melting too.

1 Like

No mythology is “true.” Not the story of Zeus as creator of humans and splitting them in half, and not the story of the Nephillim and the global flood that killed them. Each story, however, can be useful if read in the right context.

Like I said in my previous post, flooding is a pretty common disaster and there are many myths that incorporate it, not just the Christian one, so it’s not really anything special. There are also mythologies that end the world in fire, and ice, so pretty much whatever a culture’s climate, their mythology will incorporate it.

By the way, deserts, like those where Christianity has its origins, can have flash floods, which are caused by an enormous amount of water falling in a very short amount of time. They are very rare, but when they do happen they can seem like the end of the world when you live in a usually warm and dry climate.

3 Likes

It’s both, but they’re probably completely unrelated. If you read Genesis in Hebrew (and this is how the Jews interpret it), Adam at first was an androgynous person who was both male and female. Later, it’s not a rib God removes, but half of Adam’s body, at that point onwards the man refers to himself as Ish and Eve as Ishah.

So, the same myth, but I don’t believe that there’s any relation between the two. It wouldn’t be the first time separate places had the same idea.

1 Like