Meditation tips?

I’m still new to magick. I’ve read that meditation is essential. I have been meditating off and on for about 6 months, but not sure I’m doing it right. I just focus on my breath, that’s all.
What do you think about when you meditate?
If my ultimate goal is to communicate with spirits, should I be thinking about the spirit when I meditate?

1 Like

There are different meditations for difference purposes, and sometimes to “meditate on something” means to get in a quiet, light trance state and think about the something, and allow ideas and solutions to bubble up, kinda like how people say get their best ideas in the shower, only done on purpose :slight_smile:

Meditation doing breath work is never wasted, it’s healthy and brings you into balance.

For meditation to build astral aka psychic senses, which is what you need to communicate with entities, we have a few posts and tutorials that might help. Some of them are collected together in this megathread:

7 Likes

The above post on Tutorials is awesome! Much appreciated.
However, I would like to know what kind of meditation you were doing the first time you were able to communicate with a spirit. Was it gazing meditation (like with a candle), listening to binaural beats to reach deep meditation, listening to a mantra or drums to reach a trance-like state, visualizations while meditating, or something else?
What was your experience?

Well I didn’t… My first spirit communication was more like telepathy, before I knew the western occult existed. This was with presences as you find in houses and places where ghosts remain. But this was random and my family taught me it couldn’t be controlled and not to tell anyone I could sense it or I’d be put away.

To talk with entities by choice, I learned this first via shamanic journeying. A freind ran a drumming circle and led guided meditations to journey to meet guides and helping spirits.

Around the same time I used the ideas from Michaele Small Wright of Perelandra to talk to nature intelligences. This does not require trance or meditation.

Similar to this I next learned druidry and used very similar shamanic techniques to journey to speak with Celtic deities and teachers, and into the underworld to the Fae.

To deliberately call an entity into my local space in order to have telepathic conversations has for me been unique to the techniques in western occultism. My first entity under this tradition has been Azazel, and I found it to be the same feeling whether I’m sitting in a circle or journeying. Info just occurs to you like remembering what was said while knowing you heard nothing. I’m not particularly clairvoyant and rely on clairsentience a lot.

In short, they all work, try things, trust it, know it’s super subtle and no you’re not going crazy or making it up, and keep practicing, it’ll come :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I focus on my breathing too.

I try not to think about anything. Any thoughts that pass through my mind that I notice, I use as a reminder to get back to focusing on my breath. Sometimes I can go a few minutes just focusing on my breath, sometimes my brain won’t stop talking. The point is to notice that noise, and to distance myself from my thoughts.

I’ve tried focusing on an object but it seems to make it harder for me to meditate. I just become suddenly really innatentive or maybe I am just not doing it right.

But I can get into a trance just from focusing on my breath.