Is Poverty a "Sin"?

If it’s a sin to live in sustained poverty, and it isn’t forgiven until you attempt an escape, then I guess the people who drown in capsized boats trying to get out of one economically crappy country to another one, are martyrs. I also don’t pass any judgement on those who would choose to kill themselves, it would be just another way out of “poverty”, if that was their reason, and getting out is the goal.

I think there is an issue of perspective here too, like others have mentioned. If you think that you are in poverty because you don’t have the newest iPhone or wired internet, or a pair of new shoes every week, then it’s perspective. You are not truly in poverty. The people who starved in The Irish Potato Famine and the droughts of the African prairie were poor. The Feudal servants who were whipped by the Lords of the Manor and couldn’t leave because of rentals and contracts were poor. We have the power to vote with our money and our feet. If you feel like a company is trying to drain you dry and imprison you in a one-down position, you boycott and sue. If you feel your job is crap, you look for another or you try to organize a collective bargaining unit (like a Union). What they won’t give, you battle them for. If you don’t win, then perhaps you must change your perspective. Maybe it’s a sin to mourn your inability to buy something you want, to the point that you don’t utilize what you have.

I am actively in pursuit of a Voluntary Simplicity lifestyle outside of the internet. I want to cost as little as possible. Work on my own terms for my own goals (not out of dependency on wage slavery), grow my own food, reject piddling frivolous crap that wastes money, and be free. I won’t have the latest iPhone, and my rural living has always dictated that I use cell phone mobile web as my whole internet, because they just don’t run it out here. But I won’t be poor.

Education is important too (I don’t mean college). I mean savings and investing. I mean learning some Foraging skills. It astounds me how people can get lost in the woods while hiking and starve to death while surrounded by wild food.

5 Likes

Is poverty a sin? I don’t know last time I checked everything here is just an illusion created by our physical senses so you tell me…

2 Likes

End of this discussion!!
Awesome reply!

Yea, I don’t judge people anymore too, in almost any situation.
Who the fuck am I to?

To me, it’s not about poverty, but suffering,
As poverty doesn’t necessarily = suffering,
And contrary to popular belief, sin and suffering don’t really have anything to do with each other,
you will suffer in life no matter what.

2 Likes

It depends, if it’s as a result of sloth, then yes. For me personally, I’m on the border right now because someone was looking to swindle us out of a quick few thousand. he was leasing a food truck to us, and decided to sell the parking lot we were in, and shut off our power, and gave us 24 hours to vacate. His career is now ruined through legal methods by my business partner, and his life beyond that is ruined by my three preferred curses: constant minor misfortune, tedium, and paranoia, a poetically maddening combination.

1 Like

no Jesus came here for the poor and needy

Well now I was born into poverty and kept there because I sinned and tried to better myself going to school but I goofed up b4 graduation and the sin was never forgiven, so I had a degree but no way to get a job… so I could have gotten out of poverty but that pesky sin was held against me for getting that career started, nope not allowed to have that. I did odd jobs my whole life, hated them all, and still wish for that career, but it is too late now.

I don’t believe in reincarnation so that was not where my sin came from anyway. So do I feel I deserved that continuance of poverty, no, but I was young enough to feel that I should have been forgiven at some point. Point now is forgiveness isn’t even relevant. Can’t start over, I’m too old, etc…

1 Like

Sounds like you are hexing yourself here.

Condition A (guilt of perceived sin) = condition B (continued poverty)

The self jinx is a real thing. People end up attacking themselves without realizing it by going on and on about what kind of shit in their lives they deserve.

Far as i am concerned the only “SIN” is not going after what brings joy into my life. From the perspective of what most religions consider “SIN!” I should be in misery and poverty. And yet i am on track to my desire of have the property and resources to explore the crafts that interest me within 10 years if not sooner.

I highly recommend reading or listening to outwitting the devil by Napoleon hill.

Also as a sidenote my main practices over the year have worked with what major religions consider as “EVIL” And yet these same forces are helping me to reach my goals and help those close to me.

2 Likes

The sin of poverty is that we allow the thoughts that manifest it. We allow it in others and we allow it in ourselves and that is the sin.
tumblr_omwmcsArGv1tkodheo1_400

Okay will have a listen to the video. One major point is… when i was young my thoughts were in the right place… it was other people that stopped me form doing what made me happiest. True story.

Only thing is even if I pursue what makes me happy now, I’m not in a position to gain anything from it due to lack of time, no future, I’m almost old enough to retire, but really can’t afford to, health issues keeping me from doing previous types of work, and the end of the day, I just am not able to truly work with full capacity now. I need a desk job or something easy, but those kinds of jobs pay less than what I was making when I was a housekeeper, so not worth it. I really need retraining but at what I do not know. I want to do what makes me happy just havne’t a clue so far what that would be. There are physical limitations that I have now that did not affect me in the past. It makes a HUGE difference, believe it or don’t. Not sure I have 10 years to invest in anything that I love, like I say time isn’t on my side. When you’re young sure you got it all in the front pocket. I’m trying everything that I can right now, but being partly disabled makes it hard to continue on. (not declared my a doctor yet thankfully)

Believe me I’m open to more than one way of doing things, so I’m eclectic for sure. :grin:

1 Like

If you absolutely can’t do something yourself then outsource it.

2 Likes

Outsource what? Nobody can do my work for me. I have a degree in art, no business involved for that. I have carpel tunnel both hands, pretty bad in my right hand so art has taken a back seat. I still try but limited by how much time I can do anything worth while. I don’t own any business so there is no way to involve anyone else. I need to really just meditate on options, and hopefully find that needle in the hay stack of an unusual job… like Uber … but I can’t do that as I have no car. So I’m stuck for odd jobs due to that. I’m an individual, so there is nothing to gain by involving others.

Obstacles exist, but at the end of the day I always know that I’m 100% accountable for my own failures. I’m the one who makes the decision to stay motivated or to get lazy. I’m the one who is responsible for my own motivation to overcome my obstacles. It’s my own fault and always will be no matter what the obstacles I face. I’m only beaten when I say I am and it’s 100% because of me.

3 Likes

Good for You. :unamused:

I blame my parents, they didn’t do much of anything for me and were poor in any case. Thoughts had nothing to do with all that. And you don’t know me. So stop being so preachy.

I told you what my feelings on it were. I didn’t preach. You take it how ever you want it.

1 Like

Just my take on it.