Is Maynard James Keenan an Occultist?

The entire Lateralus album, especially The Grudge have HEAVY occult imagery and themes, so much so that I’d be surprised if he wasn’t. I know Tool’s drummer is a big fan of Aleister Crowley, so it is very likely its had some influence on him.

Think we can add him to the list of high-level occultists?

(He also has a band called Puscifer, which one could interpret as a combination of the words Pussy and Lucifer, but that one might be a bit of a stretch)

I’ll post the lyrics to a section of “The Grudge” below:

"Saturn comes back around to show you everything
Let’s you choose what you will and will not see and then
Drags you down like a stone or lifts you up again
Spits you out like a child, light and innocent

Saturn comes back around
Lifts you up like a child
or drags you down like a stone
To consume you till you choose to let this go
Choose to let this go

Give away the stone
Let the oceans take and trans mutate this cold and fated anchor
Give away the stone
Let the waters kiss and trans mutate these leaden grudges into gold

Let go"

He is most definitely not your average human! That’s one thing I am sure of.

At the very least he’s into some sort of mysticism, but I surely wouldn’t rule occultist out.
Apart of the heavy occult and mystical hints and imagery in the entire Tool, Puscifer and A Perfect Circle collection (but yeah, Lateralus seems to have the most). He also has a winery called “Caduceus Cellars” he’s been able to grow and produce some pretty decent wine from Arizona (of all places). Look it up, the bottles got some very spiffy looking logo’s and the wines have funny names.

I’ve met him very briefly backstage on a tour with A Perfect Circle many years ago (perks of a good mate working at a record company). He had a very intense, commanding presence, something that demands your immediate respect. Despite his otherwise very “quiet and balanced” demeanor. My mate (a pretty big guy) even thought he was a bit scary.

Not enough info to say. Based on the lyrics you posted he seem to at least have an interest in planetary influences, but it’s a stretch to assume that means he’s deeply into Solomonic magick pentacles or whatnot. There’s definitely a hint of occultism here, at some level, but I’d call this pretty basic so far…

Maybe look for interviews with him on youtube and see if he talks about it to get more info.

He’s got some lengthy appearances on Joe Rogans podcast you could review. Joe doesn’t really dwell on occultism much though.

Yeah. The lead into gold part also signifies an interest in alchemy…

I have seen them all. And no, he really doesn’t :joy:

I forgot about that. Another pretty obvious reference. Thats cool you got to meet him.

That sort of presence is a common thing amongst occultists and mystics.

I think it’s important to understand that a lot of people who add occult imagery aren’t necessarily into the occult. A lot of people will use it because they think it makes them look “cool” or “edgy”.

The only way to know for certain is to ask them.

This is true. Unfortunately sometimes asking isn’t an option.

Homie coded the Fibonacci sequence into his lyrics. Doesn’t seem like a surface level person to me. Do you have any knowledge of the man or his work?