Insanity :

I like this

1 Like

Most of the people saying insanity is a good thing are usually ineffective edgelords or badly explaining the point. If you go insane then you have failed. Magick does expand perception and knowledge which humans are not meant to have without a price. The goal is to adapt and evolve to handle that and not break and go insane. When some talk of insanity it is more a marketing ploy to garner attention and hopefully explained further on as possession of knowledge and faculties that would destroy most if they did not evolve to handle it or were too fragile in their current state.
Keep in mind insane people function perfectly well in society on the surface all the time just as people with little to no intelligence manage to get along but they usually have much deeper flaws that once you know them or take them out of the job they have been conditioned to mindlessly perform then you see how batshit crazy they are.

6 Likes

Or a madman and a revolutionary genius.

3 Likes

I like the point you make. It’s evident that Magick has risks. These usually shouldn’t be very serious.

I think Morino Ravenberg makes a good point when he says you need Iron Man levels of Mental Strength in the Occult.

2 Likes

Pretty much. You can loosely classify magick into tiers if you want for risk and rewards.
Tier 1 being the vast majority of stuff and is generally low risk if you aren’t stupid.
Tier 2 lot more risk but lot more bang for your buck and is a lot rarer to see openly practiced or fully discussed.
Tier 3 something is going to break. Either you or Reality. Extremely rare to find in the open for grabs and is more the closely guarded secrets only given out in special circumstances or much testing of the recipient to keep their power from being misused.

Kinda loose way you can look at it when all is handled responsibly. Of course even the basics can be very hazardous to some people or if poorly conducted.

4 Likes

I’m gonna guess that tier 1 consists of using Magick to obtain mundane things and basic wisdom or pretty much mainstream Magick.

Tier 2 is more intermediate Magick which includes possessions and influencing the world around you to a certain degree.

Tier 3 seems to be influencing the world to a massive degree and engaging in the more extreme forms of Magick.

Yeah basics can fuck you up when you do them wrong. For example: holding in the energy from the LBRP can mess up your body in the long run if done for a long time and raising your Kundalini / Activating your Chakras when you’re too late can cause madness.

2 Likes

Don’t fear these things, you have to push the limit of your mind or you won’t progress as you may like.

2 Likes

I just want to throw this out there as a fight club quote, interpret it as you will;

“It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything”

6 Likes

The same thing regarding ‘insanity’ has been said about those in my tradition being crowned with Orishas Olokun or certain paths of Yemaya. An elder santero told me that all started because they energy and power of certain Orisha are too vast to be ‘put into someone’s head.’ A few people can handle it without going bat-shit crazy, but the majority can’t deal and it will cause them to appear crazy to other people. For this reason certain Orisha are no longer directly crowned.
My impression is that a person has to prepare well before summoning forth those daemons.

3 Likes

What if you slowly break your limits? Rather than doing it suddenly at once, do it slowly and build yourself up?

2 Likes

Many will say take it slow, but practicing magick has a tendency to speed things up. Just be prepared and expect you may become ill-tempered at some point.

3 Likes

That’s happened today😐 like I was getting irritated over small things but then I decided to let go of these emotions and it worked out.

2 Likes

What it does mean is yes, because such strong entities/ dieties emit so much vibration and energies it can be overwhelming and intimidating if you are unprepared. You must be grounded. That’s not the same as protection circles, I mean you have to be aware. And strong willed to tolerate.

If you are not aligned properly you could be affected gravely in terms of madness, for me it was grief types of feeling but that’s more to do with all all knowing of the world and seeing it in a way that was so different to first perceived. You have to understand your darkness within before even thinking about embarking on a journey to work with some entities. I had no choice and was certainly unaware of what I was letting myself into, however I grounded myself pretty quickly to deal with things as best I could or I’d not have coped with having my mundane life!
Good luck!

3 Likes

Yes this is true for the deities that tend to Specialize in Chaos.

I’ve gotta agree with you. Lately I’ve read that before getting deep into the Occult you need to confront your own “Demons”. For me it seems to be the past and accepting that it’s over.

Agreed, the perception really changes your mindset especially once you realize the stuff that’s put in our water and food (Always ask Mother Earth to bless it).

I’m glad you did ground when you did!!

3 Likes

Pretty sure this has already been said but here’s my take anyways.

Insanity is a human construct. If I told someone what I know about the universe they’d call me insane. If I told someone that I was gifted a dragon and a large ass snake as familiars they’d be wondering if I should be in a psychiatric ward.

You have to remember that was are the human to the god. So when a powerful being reveals information that even your elevated mind can’t comprehend, we start to think we are insane. Your example of tiers was good,
its kinda like this:

tier one: regular old humans with no magick conprehension
teir two: practicing magicians (the people on this forum) who understand the new knowledge
tier three: the gods/demons/entities we work with that explain concepts that are their everyday knowledge but fascinating, difficult to even comprehend to us

While the information you recieve and experience may by confusing and difficult to fully understand, what separates the insane from the sane is how you choose to use that knowledge.

5 Likes

I’ve addressed this topic in the past, but, I have no problem answering it again.

Working with magic, and going insane, can sometimes work hand-in-hand.

Dante Abiel said in his book, Necromantic Sorcery, that you will eventually lose your mind. I’ve been known to take some severe risks with my sanity, to the point that I was questioning whether or not certain things that I was seeing where even real. To the point that I was wondering if the walls were actually there, wondering if the car that I was driving was actually under my control, or if it was merely a projection, a construct of my mind in a deep meditative state.

Diving headfirst into the abyss can fracture an already broken mind, and working with some of these beings can very easily take a serious toll on your perception of reality.

But, it can be said that losing touch with reality can be a sharp, but crucial step in your scent. One must know death in order to appreciate life. You must understand loss in order to appreciate abundance. You must understand what it is to nearly starve to death in order to appreciate the food you are given.

Sometimes, insanity is confused for the Rapture state, in which we are able to interact with these beings on a astral level, but to a point that it feels physical. Again, you wind up questioning your sanity, and this can be a detriment to your magickal growth.

This may seem Ramblin and disjointed, but everything I have said is something that I have experienced at least at one point in my life.

9 Likes

Speaking of which. Hey, @Twilight_Dragon wanna know one of the first steps to godhood? Stop being a human. And i say it like that for a reason, because there are many many differences between a god and a human.

2 Likes

This could also explain why some deities are recommended for beginners. Perhaps they can help you one understand with minimum damage.

2 Likes

I love your comment. Sometimes I also wonder if reality is an illusion.

I suppose that takes time… But it seems necessary to develop that mindset.

1 Like