Insanity :

So lately I’ve been seeing a lot of posts regarding losing your sanity or going insane when working with certain beings such as Tiamat, Satan, Leviathan, etc.

Could someone please explain what this means to me? Do you go mentally insane or do you just not see the world in the same way again?

Sorry I do have an interest in these Deities but I wanna know what this means so that I can prepare.

Thank you :rose:

10 Likes

Both.

6 Likes

But how does one survive in society as someone who’s insane? I’m sure that many of these Practioners have “normal” jobs and hobbies.

2 Likes

There is clearly a difference between the “survivors” and the victims so to speak.

Then again, what’s the difference between a madman and a sorcerer?

8 Likes

Now you’ve inspired me to look into this. I never knew that it was this deep.

I guess a madman reached a level of enlightenment before he was ready. Both generally are influenced by forces within.

4 Likes

Wrong. There is no difference. One knows how to use it to his advantage.

6 Likes

So if you don’t “fall victim” to it and utilize it then you can suceed at life?

2 Likes

Very much agree with @itsnathanm7 here. Magic opens the mind to a more complete understanding of the world. Those who prosper ( ie the sorcerer ) incorporate this new perspective into their current world view. Those who cannot make this transition go mad ie. Are unable to make sense of the world around them and draw appropriate lines in their perception, in order to allow normal social function.
The road to incorporating the new knowledge can be rocky, and harsher the more knowledge you are accessing. It’s why, even among the magical community, the stranger currents are regarded as potentially dangerous to your mental health. It’s just down to what kind of knowledge they bestow.

5 Likes

Valid point!! I’ve noticed that practicing and studying the occult exposes a lot of the ugliness in this world and some of its horrors. Yet at the same time I’m seeing a lot of the beauty in it too you know?

5 Likes

The secret is that everybody is mad, some are just more knowledgeable about the universe than others. And certain knowledge is hard for some people to understand.

6 Likes

Madness is a human concept after all: it’s all relative to what the majority perceive/ how they behave

9 Likes

This explains why so many warn people to stick to the basics first and climb the mountain at their own pace right?

5 Likes

I will look more into this🤔

So in a way, no one is insane?

4 Likes

We’re all mad here.

More like why so many people don’t try to climb the mountain. Some people see the mountain is there and then try to deny it instead of going on an adventure and changing as a person.

7 Likes

Ahhh I see. This change is not pleasant. In fact it is mildly scary. But it seems necessary to ascend.

3 Likes

When a blade is forged from steel, the smith heats and hammers and folds the metal, working with the material until it reaches the ideal shape before de-scaling, quenching, tempering, and sharpening.

7 Likes

And then comes the end result. A Beautiful Blade ready to live out its true purpose.

3 Likes

Mhm especially if it can explore the edges of perception… oops did I say that?

3 Likes

Yes you did

Or did you??

2 Likes

I believe as Bacon said, madness is a concept of humans. If there was a society with people who we considered insane existed, the people of that society would not think themselves to be insane.

6 Likes