Icelandic History and Tradition

I know Christianity became the official religion for Iceland about a thousand years after Christ died, 1,000 A.D. There is a myth that idols of Norse Gods were thrown into a waterfall when this was done to be dramatic, but not all historians agree about that.

Don’t know if anyone here is Icelandic or wants to talk about their history what things were like in the thousand years before and after that happened.

This is an amazing country have visited there many years ago may be able to go back one day.

You might like Arith Harger’s yt channel in Case you didn’t see that yet, he’s an archaeologist and Scandanavian Norse pagan, and has some excellent and well researched info on what was what.

I think he mentions Christinanity was adopted and merged into household practices for a while. The self sacrifice of Othinn (Wotan, Odin) to himself to gain the wisdom of the runes compared to the ressurection ritual (he didn’t die: rebirth rituals are still done in the occult today) of the Christ are not infrequently compared and could relate back to common enlightenment rituals in prehistory.

3 Likes

Oh interesting, haven’t heard of that guy.

Things have been a lot different with the churches north of Belgium since the reformation.

Here is one of his presentations:

Huldufólk [a] or hidden people are elves in Icelandic and Faroese folklore.[1][2] They are supernatural beings that live in nature. They look and behave similarly to humans, but live in a parallel world.[3] They can make themselves visible at will.[4] Konrad von Maurer cites a 19th-century Icelandic source claiming that the only visible difference between normal people and outwardly human-appearing huldufólk is, the latter have a convex rather than concave philtrum below their noses.[2]

I don’t identify as being “A Christian,” didn’t go to churches in my youth was not involved in any of their traditions.

Have started to go to some events at local churches where I live now in recent years, they serve free meals which is helpful as I have not had a lot of work this past year don’t have much budget for groceries. Food stamps and food bank rations help but I usually run out of those before the month is over.

Interesting thing about Iceland is their currency is based off of fish, their coins have engravings of fish and crab.