How did the writers of the classic grimiores

Get to where they are. This is something that has confused me, but when it comes to the classic grimiores, there’s nothing on meditations or even circle castings. At least not the copies that I own. They include means to consecrate items and preparatory prayers, but nothing in ways of how to connect to the spiritual. So, how did the original writers do it? Am I supposed to believe that they simply used prayer alone?

For western medeval grimoiric tradition, they were monks. Back then very few could read and write, or have access to books, which were hand written, so it was a subset of those in the clergy who could read and had the access to these incredibly rare books that could learn.

A few of them made a sort of hidden group, as what they were doing could get them killed and often did, in pretty nasty ways, as doing magick was heresy and copying the books was meant for preservation of the enemies tricks, not for actual use.

The youtube channel ESOTERICA covers this kind of historical info and does a far better job than I could.

4 Likes