How can I forgive my parents for buying a dog from a breeder?

I’ve actually known people who do the licensing for breeders, Boerboels to be exact. The standards are pretty strict in my country, and they have to inspect dog conditions at a breeder twice a year.

What kind of dog? Were the parents aggressive? You have proof of lineage?

It’s not the conditions. He was bought from a great breeder. It’s the fact that so many dogs are euthanised in this country

Purebred lab.

I think you should try to play ball with him. To establish a slight dominance. Then work from there. I don’t walk my dogs, I play with them twice a day, for about 40 minutes. Live in a dangerous place, wouldn’t want to expose them to danger.

1 Like

Yeah bloodline has a lot to do with that. When buying from breeders it’s good to watch the parents and siblings to get a good idea about future temperament. My golden retriever for example is a distant relative of Rin Tin Tin and has really good temperament.

1 Like

You know that’s kinda my point. If he was gentle I maybe wouldn’t have minded as much. The argument that all breeder dogs are perfect is not right where I stand.

Funny you should say that, I’ve actually known these to be either extremely calm, or aggressive. Are you sure your dog isn’t very protective of you? Are you also sure that you’ve properly established dominance?

If you can’t train a dog from the time it’s a pup, you’re going to have a hard time with some of the dogs from shelters ma’am.

5 Likes

Yeah he’s too overprotective that’s why he does it.

1 Like

No they’re most definitely not. It takes a lot more work and research to find a good breeder in my opinion. That’s why a lot of these dogs end up in the shelters. It’s lack of research and knowledge. I was fortunate. My mom taught me how to look for breeders but not everyone learns that.

As I thought. He probably wasn’t around other dogs much when he was young right?

He was around an older dog and that dog bullied him till he became aggressive. Then the older dog died of a dingo attack.

Makes sense. You should have been more active in stopping that. Now it’s ingrained. You Australians should get fences, like we do in South Africa, dogs shouldn’t be wandering around when there are wild animals that could kill them.

How do you know all this?
Did the breeder tell you?
Then why did your parents bring that dog home?

Also, as many pointed out, shelter dogs got issues as well, so you getting this dog or from a shelter may not have mattered that much after all.

EDIT
Did the dog become aggressive AFTER you brought it home?

1 Like

Just gonna ask @Lady_Eva to end this thread. I truly didn’t mean to upset or offend any soul and I truly mean that. If you read my original post and your blood boiled I am truly sorry. I never meant to sew discord. Thanks to everyone for being civil.

1 Like

I was told to stay out of arguments, but holy fuck, this makes my blood boil:

Have a pleasant evening.

1 Like

I only ask questions, Cinnamon, after your talk with Middernag, some questions marks started to pop up.

2 Likes

Will do, one final word though if you’ll forgive me:

We currently have two have rescue dogs, who are not “free,” we donated a fee to the kennels, got home-checks done, and they cost the exact same as any other dogs on an ongoing basis, and more, because one’s uninsurable due to age & pre-existing conditions so ALL vet treatments are paid in full by us, the other is old and expensive & needs a special diet. Anyway! :laughing:

ALL dogs can be fixed, though some have genetic behavioural characteristics that limit the scope of their behaviour, and will cause them to react in specific ways.

Just like (human) people, trauma stays with them and can make them do things that are not a voluntary action.

No dog is ever a write off, you just need to get inside their heads.

To do this, magick helps, whether you develop increased empathy so you can feel your dog’s emotions, or work with their Higher Self, or outright telepathically communicate.

It can be done.

No dog is beyond help, and yes, sometimes rescue dogs are a special-needs project you will be taking extra care over for the rest of their lives, it’s not an easy option, especially if you lack resources or are short-tempered or want a dog whose behaviour YOU can shape from day one.

There is nothing wrong about getting a dog from a responsible breeder if you know from the get-go a rescue dog is not the kind of project you can handle. Rescue dogs are never an easy option, and it’s better for people to know this and choose accordingly than be guilted into taking on a dog that isn’t right for them, and then resenting it. That just traumatises the dog even more, and is a terrible thing to do, just for bragging rights on social media.

A dog bought from a breeder IS still a dog, still deserves love and respect (which means awareness of doggy psychology) and needs to be treated correctly, in order to become the best it can be.

I did a brain dump of magickal stuff related to dogs here:

Also, this:

PM me anyone if you want to talk about this, sorry to post and lock but I couldn’t not say anything, because dogs are a big part of my life, and my family’s as well. :dog:

8 Likes