Herb Datasheet- Herbs by Element, Planet, and Function

Over the last month or so, I used Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham and A Master Grimoire of Oils, Herbs, and Incenses by Pat Kirven Sawyer, and some online resources to organize herbs by element, planet, and a variety of functions (there is a total of 60+ functions and 490 herbs included in this datasheet).
I posted the Herbs by Element and Herbs by Planet separately in my journal, but they are both included in this file as a more comprehensive file. I’m sharing here as its own post, so people don’t have to sift through a bunch of journal entries to find it.
This thing helps save me some time, so I felt that I should share this with the BALG community.

It can be used as a general guide to plan herb-related magic, spells, sachets, gris-gris bags, incenses, oils etc… Probably still good to do some research, but this datasheet can be used to help narrow down a list of herbs as options to look into (how I use it).

Some instructions are included below for those not familiar with Google Sheets, which is a free web-based app.
Please let me know if you spot any errors that need to be fixed.

Click here to open the datasheet. When you first open it, keep in mind this is a view-only document, so you will have to create a filter view from the “data” tab (instructions part 1, steps 1-3 below) to use it

Herb Datasheet

Instructions part 1- create temporary filter view

1. Click the “DATA” tab at the top to open drop down menu
  2. Hover over “Filter Views”
  3. Select “Create new temporary filter view”

Now, please proceed with the following instructions to sort herbs by the various categories.

Instructions part 2 - Using GoogleSheets (for those unfamiliar with it)

Select tab as appropriate to your need-
The first tab includes definitions of all the herb functions for reference; The 2nd tab (Herbs by Element, Planet, and Function) includes all herbs included in the 3rd (herbs by function), 4th (herbs by element), and 5th (herbs by planet) tabs

We will use the 2nd tab as an example of how to use this in Google Sheets, which is free and web-based:

1. Click ‘filter’ icon (looks like an upside down triangle made of 3 lines)
  2. This part is important:
    To INCLUDE a certain attribute in the results (e.g. Herbs associated with Element Air), click the checkmark left of “(Blanks)” to DESELECT it, so that ONLY “X” has a checkmark.
    To EXCLUDE a certain attribute (e.g. Herbs Not associated with Element Air) click the checkmark left of “X” to DESELECT, so that there is only 1 checkmark next to “(Blanks)”
    a. in this example, herbs with or without the attribution of Element Air are being filtered
    b. if X is checked, then herbs associated with the element “Air” will show up.
    c. If blank is checked, then all herbs except for those associated with “Air” will show up.
  3. Select Ok or hit enter to apply.

e.g. To Include “Air” herbs: To INCLUDE a certain attribute in the results (e.g. Herbs associated with Element Air), click the checkmark left of “(Blanks)” to DESELECT it, so that ONLY “X” has a checkmark. Hit Ok or Enter

e.g. To Exclude “Air” herbs (All Herbs that are NOT attributed to element “Air”) click the checkmark left of “X” to UNCHECK /DESELECT, so that there is ONLY 1 CHECKMARK next to “(BLANKS)” Hit OK or enter for a list of all herbs that are not associated with “Air”

You can use multiple filters (instructions above) i.e. as many elements, planets, and functions as you wish (some herbs may be under more than 1 element, more than 1 planet, and most have multiple functions)

Just keep in mind that the more filters you apply, the more specific your herb list will be and the shorter the final list will be.

You can also switch to another tab to only look at Herbs by Element for example, or Herbs by Planet, or just by function. The first tab lists all definitions of the various herb functions. The second tab is a comprehensive list that includes all successive tabs after.

11 Likes

Very cool! This would be so useful, now I’m surprised I haven’t seen spreadsheets used more publicly before. )

2 Likes

Thank you! Same, speadsheets can be so handy. My partner actually makes a spreadsheet whenever he’s on vacation with more than 2 people, which I initially made fun of him for. Now I’m converted

1 Like

How is he doing?

I am loving seeing you pour yourself into the herbal work. I told you that you would love it :two_hearts:

1 Like

He’s great he started a new job and he’s really good at it
I’m becoming a crazy plant lady and loving it! I think it’s the reason I’m happier and in general, good things are happening.
How are you doing?:heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

Good work, this is the kind of thing I always think about doing or trying to find and just never manage to.

1 Like

@Keteriya Thank you!

Just edited a few, added a few more, will continue updating as I find more information
Recent edits/additions:
Ashwagandha
Banana
Butterfly Pea flower
Cauliflower
Mango
Nutmeg
Pomegranate
Potato
Raspberry
Strawberry
Sweet potato
Tarragon
Turkey
Watermelon
Coffee

1 Like

Wonderful resource!!
I’m not very good at making spreadsheets so I’m ecstatic you made this. I love to make things as convenient as possible, definitely following for updates and making a copy for my drive.

1 Like

Thanks! So glad you found it helpful :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve updated the spreadsheet and replaced the file, so when you click the original link now, you will see a new file, with the same format and organization.

What I added:
Functions: addiction healing, banising, binding, creativity
Herbs Added or Updated
Artichoke
Ashwagandha
Banana
Belladonna
Black Tea
Buckwheat
Butterfly Pea flower
Cashew
Cat Tail
Cauliflower
Cherry Blossom
Chestnut
Cloth-of-Gold
Coffee
Cranberry
Cream
Ginkgo
Grape
Green Tea
Herbs De Provence
Honey
Kava-Kava
Kelp
Knotgrass
Knotweed
Mango
Mustard
Mustard, Black
Onion
Oolong Tea
Oregano
Osmanthus
Peony
Pomegranate
Potato
Raspberry
Rhubarb
Roobois
Rosemary
Salt
Sea Salt, Himalayan
Strawberry
Sugar
Sweet potato
Tabasco
Tarragon
Turkey
Turmeric
Venus Flytrap
Watermelon
White Tea

2 Likes

This is the latest version (Click Here).
I cleaned it up a bit because there were some duplicate rows/information and typos.
Please let me know if you find any errors
Hope it helps :green_heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this!

1 Like